Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them
Quote | Reply
Was fooling around today and set up my aerobars this way just for kicks after seeing Tom A aerobar set up in the P4 thread. I rode it for about an hour on the trainer and felt great with the straight extensions and having the brakes set up this way gave me a new hand position. I am going to cable the bike and take it out on the road. Stem, basebar, shifters,brakes and aerobars came in at 900g total weight.

So any thought as to why this would be a bad idea?

Last edited by: BMAN: Mar 21, 09 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [BMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta have strong thumbs...
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [BMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool!

Have you considered the Titanflex Clean Brake instead?

http://www.titanflex-usa.com/products-cleanbrake.htm

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen that before but since these are all parts I have laying around in the garage, I built it up this way. I was actually going to cut the basebar down to have the brake levers directly under the armrests but the bars swoop back and I would like to do that set up with a straight bar which I might do at a later date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two friends of mine do the same thing, it's all fine

Xav

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How exactly are you squeezing the brakes levers with that setup? Are you mostly using your thumbs?
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [jart0806] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are set on that setup on the brakes I would at least make it possible to change them to the stronger pulling position for training on the road with traffic and people. What many people use in races (baddmanns brake and aerobars) dont work in the real world. That being said I have had 3 out of about 20 races where there was a car bike collision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad the position of your shift levers negate the few seconds you'd have saved with the turned in brake levers. :^)

http://noel-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [no good] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well since there are no cables at this time yes they are in the lower position but when it comes race time the left shifter will be in the up position and the right shifter will me near the middle also keep in mind that my hands will be there and they are bigger than my shifters and my hands will be wrapped around the shifters for the most part anyways which will make the shifter disappear to the wind. So I do not think it will make a difference that you think it will.
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [jart0806] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this time I only use my pointer finger to actuate the brakes so I do not think using my thumbs will be that different at all. The only issue that I see is flipping the brake from a downward position in training to the inward position for racing but of course this can be fixed by getting a pair of the TRP levers with internal run housings and cables. With the Stratos basebar the housings exit the bars at the back before the bend so I can run the cable around the back of the basebar. Since I will be using Nokon's, I can have a tighter bend to keep them hidden from the wind a lot better than stock housings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do this have any effect at all?

Will the "sheltering" behind the approx 10mm wide brakes placed 15cm in front of the base bar have any effect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bri, you are becoming the new Bunnyman and that's a compliment!

If you get a break from fabricating, check your PM please ;-)

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've looked at a similar setup myself using an old mountain bike bar cut down to a minimal width and sticking some old diacomp levers in the ends. It LOOKS aero, but you never really know unless a windtunnel tells you for sure. Maybe you could do the same thing with a set of slick bontrager carbon levers...

I've also thought about using a set of cyclocross top-mount levers to acheive the same thing. They tend to have a smaller frontal area.

Now, if someone could figure out a way to make a similar setup to the USE Tula system, that would be quite interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What brand of aerobars are those...looking for something similar for myself. Don't look like Ovals , maybe they are though.
Thanks,
BJ
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Syntace Stratos zero basebar with upturns cut off.
HED flip light aerobars.
3T straight extentions cut
Oval carbon armrests
Tektro carbon levers.
Jagwire barcons mounts with Dura-Ace barcons

The whole set up is 900g and without the stem and shifters it comes in at 600g. I will sort out later what the weight is just for the aerobars without brakes. I think it will be pretty light.
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are not mine (yet and not sure if they will be) but these were offered to me at a stupid low price. The only thing is that I do not want to put the brakes on the aerobars but want them on the basebar but only if is was a bit longer so that I could put them inline with the basebar. This is the set up that I would like to move towards for TT. Also like what another poster on this thread was discussing. I do like the idea of putting my levers on the end of a little longer basebar as it would give me a little bit more to grab on to while climbing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Do you remember this thread?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=mtb;#2119708

BTW, the setup shown in the pic in that thread (MTB bar with Vision levers) measured to be ~.005 m^2 CdA lower drag than the Vision basebar and Dia-Compe levers it replaced (after I stupidly miscut the basebar upturns...DOH!)...and that's even WITH the iAero mounted on that bracket hanging out there.

Having the levers in front of the bar like that affords a fairly solid feel for braking... it's a very MTB-like configuration.

I haven't tested the 100K bar setup yet to see if it's actually any lower drag or not.

Hmmm...I think I know who's bars those are shown above...I might just recognize the granite counter from some other pics ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember that thread very well. I just think that the AERO OR DIE might be a bit too little and I would like to have maybe a bit more to hold one to. I do not think the braking with the thumbs is that bad of an idea as I only brake with one finger now. The basebar that I am using currently is only a 38cm wide Stratos so it is pretty narrow already. I weighed the aerobars today without brake levers and the complete aerobar and base bar came in at 455g which is still pretty light. AERO AND LIGHT!

Of course the aero or die would be more aero overall and I might still do that set up but I think for now, I will cable up this set up and try it out.

Oh as for the aerobars in that picture above, a friend of mine was going to do the aero or die set up and knew that I was thinking the same thing but since I already have a few ideas and most of the parts, I have opted out of purchasing them. So if you know of anyone that is looking for this set up, they are available.
Last edited by: BMAN: Mar 22, 09 21:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! I built those!

:D

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I know you did and I know what you sold them for as well. Jeff is not going to be using them now and asked if I wanted them which I was thinking about but decided to not pick them up. So knowing what he paid for them and what he is selling them for, it would be crazy for someone to not pick these up just for the parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bman-those are the exact clip-ons and arm pads (Mounts more than pads) I need for my bike. I am assuming that it is an older Oval product from the pads, but you never know. Is that who makes them and can they still be purchased?

I need to modify the arm rests so they sit about 3 or 4cm back, but i think I can do it with these and have a nice clean cockpit. my Profile T2 Clip-on/arm rest set-up is a wall of mounts, etc for the wind to see.

Ray

USA Cycling Cat. 2 Coach!! Yahoo
... ... ... ... ...
http://www.raysracingadventures.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [rayhuang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The aerobars are the older style HED clip-lites with a fixed mounting for the armrests. Pads are Oval carbon versions as they give you a bit better rest over the HEDS.
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey! I built those!

g

That's your granite counter too, right? ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New aerobar set-up thoughts. As aero as I can get them [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope - pritch's

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh-I see. Thanks for the info. Your set-up looks fast and I am sure braking is not an issue. Maybe a panic braking job under pressure might be less than optimal, but then again, whats optimal about a having to panic stop during a race right?

Ray

USA Cycling Cat. 2 Coach!! Yahoo
... ... ... ... ...
http://www.raysracingadventures.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next