Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New activities to try?
Quote | Reply
So, I’m trying to shore up fitness, as we all deal..., and want to know what ‘other’ Activities people are doing.

I’m doing a lot of zwift running and cycling. I failed at swim bands with my super weak shoulders, but may try that again at a lower intensity.

I’m thinking about getting out the jump rope. Maybe rethink core exercises at home. Not sure that I want to try planks again-those suckers hurt. ? Dust off my home barbells and design something...and what the heck is a burpee and is it worth it?

Any other suggestions? I need some structure and new challenges.
Quote Reply
Re: New activities to try? [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mentioned mine, jumprope, I'm enjoying building new synapses, it seems like a darn good workout once I get the coordination figured out

I've also broken out the bands and the PT band and doing some "pre hab" exercises and band work,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously, I'm mostly enjoying working towards a return to a normal "training routine." But, I've been thinking about this, too. Things I'm considering:

1. Rowing: I bought a cheapo rowing machine a few years ago. I enjoy it, and its nice as something that has some upper body focus---though obviously its very whole-body.

2. Core: I have a nice core routing that I think I got from Mikail Erikkson (the scientific triathlon guy) several years ago. Yes, it includes the dreaded planks of several varieties. But, it has some other stuff in there too. I like it, it doesn't take very long...and progress happens pretty quick. So, its satisfying in that regard.

3. Stability/Flexability: 2 (or 3?) years ago, I was in rehab for Athletic Pubalgia. I received a GREAT set of strength / stability / flexability exercises as part of that. These fundamentally changed my running forever. After I returned to running, my stride had been permanently altered from single-track, to shoulder-width. More importantly (but, perhaps relatedly), I haven't had a RRI since:: no matter how much, or how hard I run, or how much I run hard. I get tired before I get hurt now.

4. Strength: I don't have barbells, but I do have a large set of stretch bands. When I was losing weight, I did a bunch of strength work to try and hold onto as much muscle mass as I could. With this long break from racing...it might be a good time to build a litle strength.

5. Stretch Chords: I haven't done "pure" chord-work, but last year I used chords 2-3x per week as a supplement, while I was doing the 100/100/100 thing. I was generally swimming 4-5x and doing chords on the non-pool days. I basically emulated a USRPT set of 20x 50y or 100y, using yellow bands and a metronome to control stroke-rate.

Or maybe I'll just run 100 miles a week, starting tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New activities to try? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
jump rope is great

I came across this somehow: http://blog.trisutto.com/...ors-to-a-faster-run/ and did 15x1 min w/ 20 seconds rest. My HR was higher than I though it'd be for sure. I've ben prone to mad calf the past several years and I wonder if jumping rope would help reduce or eliminate the instances. I may work my way up to 30 minutes of it and see what happens-use them in place of my easy, short runs.
Quote Reply
Re: New activities to try? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
plant_based wrote:
jump rope is great

I came across this somehow: http://blog.trisutto.com/...ors-to-a-faster-run/ and did 15x1 min w/ 20 seconds rest. My HR was higher than I though it'd be for sure. I've ben prone to mad calf the past several years and I wonder if jumping rope would help reduce or eliminate the instances. I may work my way up to 30 minutes of it and see what happens-use them in place of my easy, short runs.

Yeah I can get my HR higher and quicker doing jump rope than running.

Most of the jump rope work I do is 180-200SPM to the beat of a song with that tempo. This SPM transfers directly for me in responsiveness to high speed cadences in running.

Also - it will benefit your swimming. This is good shoulder and forearm work.

If you’re doing it outside, I’d recommend putting a mat down mainly to avoid rope damage. My favorite rope is the Rage R2:
https://www.amazon.com/...g-Rope/dp/B07CJMJSH4

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mostly like jumping rope to try at home. I am focusing on making my legs strong enough, so that i can run a marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right behind my trainer have set of kettlebells and Heavy Bag on a stand. Low maintenance, high yield. Love working the Heavy Bag, good low stress shoulder work out.
Quote Reply
Re: New activities to try? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
3. Stability/Flexability: 2 (or 3?) years ago, I was in rehab for Athletic Pubalgia. I received a GREAT set of strength / stability / flexability exercises as part of that. These fundamentally changed my running forever. After I returned to running, my stride had been permanently altered from single-track, to shoulder-width. More importantly (but, perhaps relatedly), I haven't had a RRI since:: no matter how much, or how hard I run, or how much I run hard. I get tired before I get hurt now.
I'm interested in knowing more about this - could you expand a bit on your experience and share the exercises?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have access to an erg, rowing is great cross-training especially if you aren't able to swim right now like me.
Quote Reply
Re: New activities to try? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6957106

I probably have a couple others where I talked in more general terms... But, here's the list.
Quote Reply
Re: New activities to try? [rosshm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rosshm wrote:
If you have access to an erg, rowing is great cross-training especially if you aren't able to swim right now like me.

I would do this but just know I'd have to buy the outdoor rig and plop it in the water. Lake by our house is more of a big pond. I did an estimate, would only take about a minute of all-out to row across it and have to turn around. Womp womp.
Quote Reply
Re: New activities to try? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
rosshm wrote:

I would do this but just know I'd have to buy the outdoor rig and plop it in the water. Lake by our house is more of a big pond. I did an estimate, would only take about a minute of all-out to row across it and have to turn around. Womp womp.

Stand up paddle board? Not as fast but good for core and balance.
Quote Reply
Re: New activities to try? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom - I'll read through the thread this evening.

Much appreciated.
Quote Reply