Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New York Triathlete killed by shark in Maine
Quote | Reply
Apparently the woman killed by a White Shark in Maine on Tuesday, was a triathlete. Friends and relatives said that she was a fantastic swimmer. She was wearing a wetsuit when attacked and (true or not) the "she looked like a seal" speculation was raised.
"Victim Julie Dimperio Holowach, 63 — who retired as president of the handbag company Kipling North America — was swimming with her daughter about 20 yards off Bailey Island around 3:30 p.m. Monday when she was attacked by the beast — which left behind a fragment of tooth that allowed scientists to identify it as a great white, Maine officials said."
I'm sure all of us here send our condolences to her family and friends.
Quote Reply
Re: New York Triathlete killed by shark in Maine [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeaaa...... thats terrible. And she was with her daughter. Very sad.

I remember one time when we were working an Ironman Florida training camp and we went swimming in the ocean w/ wetsuits on. Once I crossed over the sandbar and I couldn't see what was below (around) me, it was absolutely terrifying.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Last edited by: Brandes: Jul 29, 20 4:53
Quote Reply
Re: New York Triathlete killed by shark in Maine [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That poor daughter. How traumatic and helpless.

This was a genuine concern when racing IM Western Australia. It's a wetsuit swim that involves swimming about a mile out into the Indian Ocean, around a jetty, and then back to shore. For a shark, all of us wetsuit wearing triathletes had to look like a large group of thrashing seals......but, safety in numbers. I know it's a rare occurrence but it gives you pause
Quote Reply