Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Wetsuit recommendations
Quote | Reply
Hey Folks,
Just starting to gear up for another race season (hopefully) and realized that my ~2010 Orca Sonar wetsuit is getting too stiff and constricted to wear (and no, I'm not getting too fat). Might be able to squeeze another season out of it but thinking about investing in a new one. In my brief look, there are way more options (companies) out there making wetsuits as compared to the last time I looked and a whole lot of jargon about what bells and whistles included with each level suit... which was a tad overwhelming. I just would like a long sleeve wetsuit with decent arm mobility, decent lower body/leg buoyancy and one that will last at least 3-5 years. Not looking to blow the swim away but would like to feel not too exhausted when getting out of the water and pulling the suit off.
I'm 47yrs old, 5ft 9in, 152lbs. Body habitus: thin with long legs that tend to sink a little unless I'm swimming hard.
A decent swimmer, always top third out of the water for my age group.
I race primarily Olympic and Half IM distances in the mid-atlantic USA (but may travel further in the future if the wife allows). Water temps around here high 60 to mid 70's depending on time of year. Will probably need a wetsuit 2-3 times a season.
My Orca Sonar was great so I might just stick with that but open to other suggestions folks may have.
Thanks in advance,
Quote Reply
Re: New Wetsuit recommendations [Addict2Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on this review that Dan did in 2019, I picked up an Orca 3.8 and love it. Super flexible and comfortable in the shoulders and chest. Need to handle it carefully as the neoprene is pretty soft.
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Wetsuits_for_2019/Wetsuit_Craftsmanship_with_a_Look_at_Orca_7317.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Desoto. You can get different sized bottoms with tops. People some to love the flexibility it offers as it is a 2 piece. I don't have one, but figure someone will chime in shortly that has Desoto.

My favorite sleeved suit was Xterra Vendetta. I don't think they have that exact model now, but it was very flexible.

You will likely see that the more flexibility you want/get in the arms, the more delicate you have to be with the suit. You'll likely get minor cuts in the rubber even with being careful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Huub has very nice wet suits with good leg support.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Wetsuit recommendations [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest that you'd go somewhere where you can try on several suits and brands. Some shops have test days where you can try and test several suits in the pool. To me the fit is the only important thing. Brand names and all the bells and whistles are secundary. Once you found the right fit, a breakaway zipper proved helpfull to me in fast transitions. Oh, and i waited untill new models came out and got a previous year model with a 40% discount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have wetsuits from ROKA, BlueSeventy and QR. I like all of them. Generally I would say:

ROKA: great mobility, great fit; but a little more vulnerable to tearing. Excellent customer service, so if you get one that feels a little off, no big deal

BlueSeventy: very rugged, great fit, feels just as fast as the others; a little more difficult to find on sale

QR: snug fit, and a new (renewed) entrant into the space, feels fast. I won this suit in a drawing, and have used it in A races and feel good about the outcome

Altogether, I would happily endorse any of the above
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the Sonar fit ?
If the Orca fit fits, then unless you can get to try a bunch of different ones one, I'd be going for another Orca.

I'm on just onto my 2nd Orca 3.8 after previously being in a Huub.
The 1st 3.8 one is still going OK but is pretty fooked ovet the shoulder and side panels - but It's had a lot of use over 5 years (as, without Covid restrictions it get used all year round a couple of times a week). 2nd one is near Box Fresh still - about a dozen uses inc a couple of longer swims (5 miles and 7 miles). My Sunday Best suit !!

Buying the same make / model again removed most of the risk that the new suit didn't fit and Covid fecked up any chances of demo suits etc.
Quote Reply
Re: New Wetsuit recommendations [Remco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ideally this is what I would try to do (try on a couple before deciding) but it seems this little pandemic thing is making that near impossible in my area. Will try to see if there are any places that might allow it. Thanks for the tip though.
J
Quote Reply
Re: New Wetsuit recommendations [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my Orca Sonar was a pretty good fit 10yrs ago and I'm pretty much the same body habitus, so makes sense that sticking with Orca might be the simplest. Just was wondering if the there was something better out there since last I looked. Sounds like at the top end with the big brands (Roka, Blue Seventy, Orca, Xterra etc) they offer all very similar products.
Thanks all for the suggestions.
Quote Reply