Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Triathlon bike: Quintana Roo or Canyon?
Quote | Reply
Hi All!

I am looking into buying a new tri-bike. I am mainly looking at Canyon and Quintana Roo. I have a budget of around €5,000 and I can get the following bikes including a bike fit around that budget:

- Canyon Speedmax CF / Ultegra Di2 / rim brakes / DT SWISS ARC 1400 DICUT wheels
- Quintana Roo PRfive / Ultegra Mechanical / Disc Brakes / Scope R5C wheels
- Quintana Roo PRfour / Ultegra Di2 / Disc Brakes / Scope R5C wheels

Main differences are obviously disk brakes versus rim brakes and Ultegra Di2 versus mechanical. Also, I can get the Quintana Roo bikes through a local bike seller while Canyon is sold directly. I just can't decide what would be more important. e.g.disk brakes or mechanical shifting? Is there anyone who could describe the ride/feel differences between QR and Canyon?

What bike would you pick? Help is much appriciated :)
Quote Reply
Re: New Triathlon bike: Quintana Roo or Canyon? [Laurens4790] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used both Shimano and Sram electronic shifting on TT/Tri bikes. They're lovely and convenient but neither make you faster! My ideal would be a 1 by 12 Sram electronic which no one offers yet.

Are you buying the bike for this year, next year too or for 3-4 years down the line?

It seems that disc brakes are where it's going, and you might be uuumm-ing and ahhh-ing now but in two years time all top end bikes will be disc brake, along with wheels and so on. Hence cross out the rim brake option.

So you're left with the two QR bikes, of which the five has the better frame from what I understand. Hence I'd go for that and upgrade at the end of the year to a 1 by 12 Sram if I still felt like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you sure you can get into a proper position on these bikes? Both are very tall stack due to proprietary stems and high stack aerobar systems

Laurens4790 wrote:
Hi All!

I am looking into buying a new tri-bike. I am mainly looking at Canyon and Quintana Roo. I have a budget of around €5,000 and I can get the following bikes including a bike fit around that budget:

- Canyon Speedmax CF / Ultegra Di2 / rim brakes / DT SWISS ARC 1400 DICUT wheels
- Quintana Roo PRfive / Ultegra Mechanical / Disc Brakes / Scope R5C wheels
- Quintana Roo PRfour / Ultegra Di2 / Disc Brakes / Scope R5C wheels

Main differences are obviously disk brakes versus rim brakes and Ultegra Di2 versus mechanical. Also, I can get the Quintana Roo bikes through a local bike seller while Canyon is sold directly. I just can't decide what would be more important. e.g.disk brakes or mechanical shifting? Is there anyone who could describe the ride/feel differences between QR and Canyon?

What bike would you pick? Help is much appriciated :)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1) make fit session first. Maybe you will discover one of these is not for you.

2) brake choice is personal choice (want to swap wheels with another bike ? aesthetics ? riding a lot under rain or big slopes ? ...)

3) di2 vs mechanical is personal choice (personally I like auto adjustment on crank ring, ...)

4) crank length choice ?
Quote Reply
Re: New Triathlon bike: Quintana Roo or Canyon? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know cockpits of both bikes are fairly customisable these days. At least that is the case for Canyon. For know I am assuming I will fit both bikes but will for sure first do a proper bike fit again.

ericMPro wrote:
are you sure you can get into a proper position on these bikes? Both are very tall stack due to proprietary stems and high stack aerobar systems
Quote Reply
Re: New Triathlon bike: Quintana Roo or Canyon? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve,

I am buying these bikes for the longer term yes. Fornow I am not going to change wheels a lot, if at all. But this might indeed change in the future.

SteveMc wrote:
I've used both Shimano and Sram electronic shifting on TT/Tri bikes. They're lovely and convenient but neither make you faster! My ideal would be a 1 by 12 Sram electronic which no one offers yet.

Are you buying the bike for this year, next year too or for 3-4 years down the line?

It seems that disc brakes are where it's going, and you might be uuumm-ing and ahhh-ing now but in two years time all top end bikes will be disc brake, along with wheels and so on. Hence cross out the rim brake option.

So you're left with the two QR bikes, of which the five has the better frame from what I understand. Hence I'd go for that and upgrade at the end of the year to a 1 by 12 Sram if I still felt like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a new bike and was down to these two also. Ultimately QR fit better, so that’s what I have on order!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedmax CF SL switched to Profile Design Subsonic brackets as stock mounts, so not as high-stack as they used to be.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: New Triathlon bike: Quintana Roo or Canyon? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which means the Speedmax CF has *zero* stack adjustment available... either you hit the (still very high) stack numbers offered by the Subsonic or you need a different bike

tessar wrote:
Speedmax CF SL switched to Profile Design Subsonic brackets as stock mounts, so not as high-stack as they used to be.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It often is possible to get a good deal on a QR. either from them directly, or an authorized dealer like mybikeshop.com

I know QR was offering great deals on last year’s inventory at year end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the spacers that come with the Speedmax CF you have about 60mm stack range to play with. I think I can fit both the M and the L sizes, which would give me stack range of 605mm to 714mm, so I dont think this will be a problem.On my last fit I had stack of 669mm, so that would be in the middle of that range.

ericMPro wrote:
which means the Speedmax CF has *zero* stack adjustment available... either you hit the (still very high) stack numbers offered by the Subsonic or you need a different bike
Last edited by: Laurens4790: Jan 30, 19 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't quite understand.

Comparing the Canyon Speedmax CF L vs the Speedmax CF SLX L (which is known to be a long and low bike) the armpad stack ranges are:
CF : 627-714
CF SLX : 628 - 681

So the CF can be adjusted to be quite a low bike as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Both QR's come with standard stems (Profile 17s). The PR6 is the only QR with a proprietary stem system. Subsonics and the right stem can get them very low.
Quote Reply
Re: New Triathlon bike: Quintana Roo or Canyon? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I have PR6 on the brain... thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurens4790 wrote:
What bike would you pick?

Doesn't the PR5 come with Di2 and the PR4 with 105 mec... and a lot cheaper? Maybe different specs in different countries?

I wouldn't be concerned about rim brakes going away. The only question is if they work well enough for you. And if you get some Hed Jets, that concern pretty much disappears. Mechanical brakes are simpler, more reliable, and more aero.

I'd get the PR3 with the cheap wheels, some Hed Jet 60s (or just the front and a cover on the rear), a Tririg Omega front brake, and a good bar like the Alpha One or something similar. Best bang for your buck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Di2 is a no brainier. The shifting is better. And being able to shift from the base bars is a huge bonus.

I'm not sold on disc brakes, especially for TT.
Quote Reply