Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Tri Bike Dilemma
Quote | Reply
After three years riding a road bike w/ clip-ons, I am making the jump to a Tri bike. I have been to both of my favorite bike stores for fitting. They both came to the same conclusion given my size and budget (6'1", 220-240lbs, and under $3000). They both recommend Specialized Transition Comp. This appears to be a good bike but I put a lot of stock in Dan Empfield's opinions, this forum and the slow twitch site. Problem: Specialized is not prominent among the bikes listed and reviewed. What is the general opinion out there? Any recommendations for a tri bike newbie? I want to make the most of my races and my money. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike Dilemma [Hoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they recommending that because it's the only tri bike they have? Where are you located?

"....No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully dusguise the youthful boy below."~Death Cab for Cutie

http://www.a1cyclery.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always liked the Specialized road bikes. I've never rode this bike but had a look at in an LBS. The aero tubing didn't seem particualrly aero and it's a compact frame. As much as I like compact frames for road bikes I question them for tri bikes For a start the sloping top tube is claimed by some to be a bit less aero.

I'm not saying it's a bad bike but it is likely in your best interest to compare to others. IMO, have a good look at a Cervelo Dual or P2K as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I presently ride a road bike with clip-ons as a "tri" bike. If and when that becomes my limiting factor for success I'll buy a tri bike.

When (big If) this time comes, I'll look toward Litespeed first, based on my very positive experience with my present road bike. You could get your hands on a pretty well-equipped Tachyon for under $3,000.

My far from very knowledgeable $.02.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm generally a fan of specialized stuff but have not looked very closely at their bikes. Doesn't Reid ride one?

Anyway - why did they recommend that bike over some of the others? What other bikes did you look at? I'd ask "what about that bike there - why would the specialized be better for me?".

For 3K - there are a ton of very very nice bikes out there. Felt's seem to be a great value - Cervelo's are very nice bikes, plus Guru - QR/litespeed...lots of options - not that those are necessarily any better - a good fitting bike works as well as any other good fitting bike but for 3K you should spend a lot of time and research and get exactly what you want.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Specialized is a brand new bike this year. That's why you haven't seen much on it. If I recall, correctly, this bike starts with a 75 or 76 degree seat angle. Right away that should tell you that the bike strays from Slowman's most tightly held opinions that you claim to value. Given that seat angle, and the other choices available in your budget, I'd say this bike is probably acceptable, but likely not the best choice for you. I'm a huge fan of Specialized, having owned 5 of their road bikes. But if, as you claim, you are looking to pursue a bike in the Empfield mold...you need to consider other options as well. Cervelo P2k or Dual, Felt S-22 or S-25, any of Ves Mandaric's Yaqui frames built to your desires and budget, etc, etc. There are a lot of choices out there. Visit more bike shops, visit Ves's website, etc. I'd say you need to do more research. You may still decide on the Specialized. But you'll do it from a much more informed position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoss, I was in the same situation as you. I decided to turn in my roadie with aerobars and looked at the P2k, S22 and at my LSB suggestion, the Transition Comp. Yes, they sell a lot of specialized, but also carry felt. Ulitmately I ended up purchasing the Transition, I've had it approx 3 months and love it.

My decision was solely based on comfort, price didn't play a part (the comp is more expensive ~$400ish), I liked the less aggressive angles. When I rode the felt I felt like I was going to be falling over the front of the bike, the p2k was a little better, the comp just felt right.

While the comp may not get the rave reviews from the masses, you're the one who has to ride it...make sure the bike fits you!

Best of luck,

EB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I'm not sure why they both would recommend the Transition. It's an okay bike, but there's nothing super unique about it.
If you are just looking for a tri-bike, it's fine.

It's like walking into a car dealership and buying a Honda. It's a reasonable car, there's not really anything wrong with it, bt if you are looking for something to stand out, it's going to leave something to be desired.
On the other hand, in your price range, you could be shopping at the local Chevy dealership, you can't afford the corvette, but you could walk out of there with a new super-charged cobalt or maybe even a lightly used Camaro.
at under $3000, your options are pretty open. Some obvious picks come to mind P2K (or maybe sl), QR Caliente (or tequilo with race wheels), a custom Yaqui, or possibly a softride/titanflex with slightly lower end components.

To really help you, though, we need to know what you want out of the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that the P3Carbon exists, the list price for the P3 (aluminum), with 10 speed ultegra, is $2799. That's a lot of bike for under $3000. Now, this may not be the right bike for you, but it kind of sounds like your LBSs are simply recommending products they carry. Of course there is nothing wrong with that. Are these stores cycling stores or are they tri stores? If they are cycling stores, it may just be that they carry specialized road bikes, got a few of the tri bikes in, and are trying to sell one to you. I would make sure that you are talking to someone well versed in triathlon fitting, not just bike fitting.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoss, consider a Mandaric-derived bike if you want a traditional frame, or a TitanFlex if you want to be on a suspension setup. You can get a LOT of bike for under 3 grand. You should also be sure of your set up when you spend that much.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoss and others,

Interested to know how things turned out for you. I took a look at the Multi Sport and it seems like a good bike. If I've done my research correctly, the seat-tude angel is not as aggressive/forward as traditional tri-geometry. I've ridden the forward bikes (QR, Hilo) and now that I'm aging, I'd like something a bit more forgiving and a little less expensive. Definately don't like the triple ring up front...what's up with that? Otherwise, seems pretty solid.

Chris

Chasing The Big Race In The Sky
@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike Dilemma [Zippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zippy, sorry for the delay in responding. I was out of town the last few days.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Your input was very helpful. I went back to my LBS and discussed my concerns. We discussed the advantages and disadvantages of the various bikes mentioned and I think his recommendation for Specialized did take the other bikes into consideration. (They sell Felt, Cervelo, QR, etc.) There were two main reasons to go with the Specialized: first was the construction where the down tube meets the seat tube. On Specialized the aero downtube flattens and becomes "horizontal". Given my weight and leg power this configuration should provide more stiffness. Specialized also comes with a lifetime guarantee. Others do as well, but combined with the components and wheels (Mavics), Specialized appeared to be the best bike value for me. Don't know if this helps you, but I will keep everyone posted once I put some miles on the bike. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Quote Reply
I love my Comp [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a blast to ride! Plus that mirrored finish is hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoss,

Congrats on your decision. Which Transition did you decide on, and I'm wondering if seat tube angle played into your decison. I understand the Multisport is more relaxed (more of a road geometry), and the Elite and Comp are more aggressive. Did you do any test riding?

LBS's in my area rarely carry tri bikes, and I'm interested in comparing the three bikes.

I'm leaning towards the Mulitsport, but I can do without the triple chain ring on the front. Looks like a good bike for the money.

Chris

@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike Dilemma [Zippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with the Comp. The angle is 76.5 degrees I believe. While this is not the steepest option, it worked for me. I test rode one in the shop and felt very comfortable right off. The LBS tells me that the compact geometry allows for a longer seat post which allows for a little more comfort. I didn't notice the difference. Otherwise, check out the Comp and its components vs. the Elite. I think the Comp makes more sense. It also looks way cooler. Can't offer you much opinion on the Multisport, although with 3 rings in front it sounds like a beginner's "be everything to everybody" type bike. Just my opinion. Let me know what you decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoss,

Real close to going with the Elite, but then overlooked the fact that it only comes with bullhorns. Probably one reason why it is a good value, as components are pretty good. I live in a hilly area and like to ride with roadies. Bullhorns will not do. Good set of clip-ons is all I need.

So I'm back to square one. MAY go with the Multisport and change out the triple crank, which oddly enough, brings the pricepretty close to the Elite.

Off to check out Cervelo...

Chris

@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply