Quote | Reply
Doesn't look anything radically new but i like it

https://www.cyclingnews.com/...iterium-du-dauphine/

Last edited by: The Red Baron: Jun 2, 21 7:03
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [The Red Baron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder what the 0:00 time stamp is?

Also curious as to how the stack works on the front end, seeing as most won’t ride it with a flush looking stem and pedastool aero bars.

The downtube seems to hug the front wheel more ? Interesting to see how this goes against something like the new plasma
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little birdie (very well connected and would know) told me many months ago this was coming. About time.

The duo riser is interesting.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes, it appears
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Red Baron wrote:

if it aint broke dont fix it!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Wonder what the 0:00 time stamp is?

Start gate time clock? Though usually only the first rider off sees 00:00:00.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the frame - seat tube. Unless it’s some sort of weird reflection or something
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
On the frame - seat tube. Unless it’s some sort of weird reflection or something

Yeah, it says it in the article, "Curiously, all bikes are also designed with a 00:00:00 timestamp on the seat tube cluster too."

I was thinking it's just a symbolic nod at the clock in a TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it although now my 2020 Speed Concept is worthless! (pink)
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
A little birdie (very well connected and would know) told me many months ago this was coming. About time.

The dual riser looks very similar to the gen 1 sc.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably a UCI thing. The UCI rules make all TT bikes look weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I was told one was coming too, but I didn't expect it this soon. Funny how there were many posters here adamant Trek was done with TT/Tri and moving on.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like there is some sort of plug in extension for the aerobars so you can utilize any extension you want. Also looks like there's a "wing" near the elbows which should be plenty room for a mount/bottle.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea the cat's out of the bag now. Trek just needs to post the the non-UCI Tri version on its website and be done. That has to be a larger market then a UCI legal TT version.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like the previous bikes, there is probably very little difference between the uci and non uci versions. The fork and basebar are probably different though UCI rules might have changed and this may not be required anymore.

There's probably bosses on the seat tube for a draft box. The top tube area near the stem looks rather large and I'm going to guess there is integrated storage in there. Maybe a speed fin again??

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I was told one was coming too, but I didn't expect it this soon. Funny how there were many posters here adamant Trek was done with TT/Tri and moving on.

I did laugh at all the people that were adamant there was no way Trek was making a next gen SC. I never replied to those because there really wasn't anything I could say. I didn't know many details and didn't want people questioning my sources. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting to see the departure from the really wide fork crown. I find it funny that aerodynamicist s don’t seem to be able to make up their minds on whether that is a good idea. Maybe it was a design feature that was particularly relevant for the TriSpoke (the WT pictures for the original SC had a HED TriSpoke).

The one feature I can’t make out is whether the downtube fairs the water bottle area. My gen 2 SC is super slow with water bottles and Ronald Kuba’s testing found no aero bottle worked well. I guess bike companies have probably come to the conclusion that hydration is for the Tri crowd.

I like the new bar arrangement. The old stem/riser arrangement was great for fitting a wide range of people, but all that cast aluminum made for a heavy bike and modifications were difficult.

Another interesting design feature would be wiring. I am pretty sure they won’t offer a version for cable shifting, but with Shimano looking at wireless there doesn’t seem to be a need for fiddling with internal wiring anymore.

Now what would be really interesting would be another WT shootout with the best of the old-school rim brake bikes against the new disc bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
Trek just needs to post the the non-UCI Tri version on its website and be done.

Maybe there isn't one. I don't see a ton of room on that frame for non-UCI mods. Maybe a different front end with hydration or something. I doubt they'd copy Specialized with rear hydration, just out of principle, if not IP protections (if there are any).
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there is one. Slight changes like the front end change, bento box location, draft box, etc, is my guess.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Interesting to see the departure from the really wide fork crown. I find it funny that aerodynamicist s don’t seem to be able to make up their minds on whether that is a good idea. Maybe it was a design feature that was particularly relevant for the TriSpoke (the WT pictures for the original SC had a HED TriSpoke).

The one feature I can’t make out is whether the downtube fairs the water bottle area. My gen 2 SC is super slow with water bottles and Ronald Kuba’s testing found no aero bottle worked well. I guess bike companies have probably come to the conclusion that hydration is for the Tri crowd.

I like the new bar arrangement. The old stem/riser arrangement was great for fitting a wide range of people, but all that cast aluminum made for a heavy bike and modifications were difficult.

Another interesting design feature would be wiring. I am pretty sure they won’t offer a version for cable shifting, but with Shimano looking at wireless there doesn’t seem to be a need for fiddling with internal wiring anymore.

Now what would be really interesting would be another WT shootout with the best of the old-school rim brake bikes against the new disc bikes.

reportedly, shimano is looking at semi-wireless, not a full wireless setup, so there will still be a need for "fiddling with" that, plus you would still have to run brake lines to the front and rear. If you're doing that, then running di2 wires isn't really any extra effort (from a frame design perspective).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess a Triathlon stem/bar combo with some rise that would seamlessly fit a bento box, much like the old plasma 5 used to do, and a draft box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, now lets see how the launch/distribution goes!

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to the white paper!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious what the weight is of this version. Hopefully lighter.

Also, anyone try to check with their Trek LBS to see if they are able to order one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Red Baron wrote:

It's a big change from their old bike... looks like they are taking cues from Specialized... aka maybe not as aero, but much better torsional stiffness.

1) Disc brakes
2) Beefier top tube, headtube, downtube.
3) Double risers instead of mono.
4) Dropped seatstays
5) No more "bayonet" style fork.
Quote Reply

Prev Next