Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Trek SC (when?)
Quote | Reply
The SC appears to be a great overall bargain. Looking to pull the trigger. Seeing that integration is everything... when's it a good time to do so seeing that the SC hasn't changed in years & may do so at any time?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek SC (when?) [Porfirio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There has been no news at all. I asked the trek rep here on ST a few months ago, he said nothing in the pipeline at the moment.
During the Summer, someone on the forum said for sure we would see a new one at the grand tours, never happened. Then everyone thought we would see a new one in Kona because one of the pro's posted about getting a new trek, ended up it was just a new team paint job (black with silver/chrome decals)..

If you like the current frame and are OK with not having disc brakes, go for it. I'd say if they do have one under development, it ain't gonna make it to market in time for Summer 2020.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek SC (when?) [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Dropping $4K ain't no joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Porfirio wrote:

Agree, and i just did the same. Just had to ask myself, am I ok without disc brakes, and am I ok with everything else about the bike that might be improved with a new model.....like if they started using a monopost stem riser like the new cervelo's, etc.
Decided I was OK with all that and I otherwise love the trek anyway. Another thing was, even though 4k is a lot, imagine what the 'new' model will cost when it first hits market (if ever...)....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thought. Share pics!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe just a new front end coming for the same bike 😋
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm can’t seem to attach pic using my iPhone, will try later from computer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here ya go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same design since 2014, have one and no problem at all, for me one of the best bike with all accessories design specifically for the speed concept.

Also waiting for a new design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was some info that Trek tried to make new frame, but the old one appeared faster. This is Age of peak aero. This brakes will make this bike even slower.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek SC (when?) [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They attempted in ‘17 to make a new one. It wasn’t going to be any faster and low ROI. They focused on the mtb market.

They are adding frame storage to new bikes so that could be done pretty easily, as well as a disc version.

Wish list would include a shiv like base bar(travel) and more adjustable cockpit(tilt)

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Here ya go

What models come with the shark fin on the bottom bracket. For some reason that gives me all sorts of good feeling's
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek SC (when?) [Matt315] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt315 wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Here ya go

What models come with the shark fin on the bottom bracket. For some reason that gives me all sorts of good feeling's

For it to actually come with the frame, I think you have to go project 1. I ordered it as just a frameset, but still P1, was about 500 or so upcharge for the paint I chose, and also comes with carbon post instead of aluminum, deeper base bar, and the fin.
But, I -think- you can buy the fin seprate from a trek dealer as a replacement part if you wanted one, to replace the standard cover that comes with the non-P1 frames. It looks kind of nice, but some folks have said they find it harder to remove the rear wheel with the fin on there. It could also make it a little harder to sit your frameset on the floor for example, with wheels removed, as I don't think the fin is really designed to have the weight of the bike sitting on it.....not sure...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be shocked if a new SC with disc brakes isn't released by the fall of 2020. It will be equal or less aerodynamic and heavier than the current SC with those brakes.

If you have nice wheels and/or a disc then the upgrade will be costly. Disc brakes don't make you faster. Are you prepared to spend thousands to keep up with industry trends? If so, wait for the disc version. I recommend buying the rim brake version as it will be a great value relative to the foreseeable costly disc brake version.

I'm currently looking at a 2019 integrated rim brake bike over a 2020 disc brake version in the same brand and model. For the 2019 frame it's $3,700 and works with my Flo 60s. The 2020 is $8,300 for the same frame with disc brakes, ultegra and stock wheels. I'd say it's an easy decision for me. I'll get another 5-10 years out of the new bike. I'm not dropping $10,000+ on a frame, components, wheels, etc.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Dec 29, 19 14:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Here ya go

Beautiful bike. Love the color.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek SC (when?) [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, here is a little bit higher quality pic I took with a different wheelset. Also had the more forward post installed at the time, which I didn't end up needing...

[url=https://ibb.co/9h3MxYF][/url]
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Dec 29, 19 18:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is a very good looking bike! this should make you forget about disc brakes real quick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Thanks, here is a little bit higher quality pic I took with a different wheelset. Also had the more forward post installed at the time, which I didn't end up needing...

[url=https://ibb.co/9h3MxYF][/url]

See, I just can't imagine how you can improve this bike. Rim brakes are fine... & they look cooler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current SC and arguably the P5 are best values in TT bikes today (my 2 cents). If you dont need / want disc breaks then get a used one now or wait till new one comes out and the current ones prices drops a little more.

Personally I got tired of waiting for a new speed concept with disc breaks, more integration, slightly stiffer and more aero frame. My patiences with trek simply wore out and I bought a shiv tri.

I have 2 speed concepts still may sell one off, but such good bikes in no rush.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what this is worth:

Trek development is different than other companies. Trek has said several times that they can't make the SC any faster with disc brakes (as an example) so they don't intend on making one. Now that is assuming the market doesn't demand disc brakes on a TT bikes, which is open to debate, but the Trek mentality is if its not faster they are not going to make it.

"Faster" is also debatable term. We have probably hit the peak of aero performance in bikes due to the limiting factor of the human engine what makes the bike go vs physics. "Faster" could mean more adjustable, integration, comfort, or whatever. So in the future you will probably see more "gimmicky" things like bike frame materials, storage, hydration and electronic integration lumped into the "faster" category, but as far as a bike being (in reality) fast, adjustable, storage and integration, its super hard to beat the current SC.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek SC (when?) [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I'd be shocked if a new SC with disc brakes isn't released by the fall of 2020. It will be equal or less aerodynamic and heavier than the current SC with those brakes.

This is sad commentary on our industry if true...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Porfirio wrote:

Agree, and i just did the same. Just had to ask myself, am I ok without disc brakes, and am I ok with everything else about the bike that might be improved with a new model.....like if they started using a monopost stem riser like the new cervelo's, etc.
Decided I was OK with all that and I otherwise love the trek anyway. Another thing was, even though 4k is a lot, imagine what the 'new' model will cost when it first hits market (if ever...)....

Just noticing that Ultegra di2 group set can be purchased for $1K on ebay. I have Flo 60's and 30's. Depending on how much the bike shop charges to build, it actually may be more cost effective to just get frame.

By the way, what do you think is a fair price for a 2008 Equinox frame. Fully Dura Ace (albeit the old group set).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Porfirio wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Porfirio wrote:

Just noticing that Ultegra di2 group set can be purchased for $1K on ebay. I have Flo 60's and 30's. Depending on how much the bike shop charges to build, it actually may be more cost effective to just get frame.

By the way, what do you think is a fair price for a 2008 Equinox frame. Fully Dura Ace (albeit the old group set).

Exactly what I did, buy frame, build with existing parts and anything else I needed I just bought online nice and cheap.

With regards to your current bike, I'd just check ebay for completed auctions to see what it typically sells for. A 2008 bike is not going to fetch you much......It might be worth more to you to keep as a spare/trainer bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI if you're planning on pulling the trigger on a Project 1 (I just did myself). Trek doesn't offer many deals on these. Before I bought, I checked when they had discounts last year. On black friday in 2018 they had a $400 off deal, which was done again this year. Also last year in the first week of January, they had a deal on covering the Project 1 custom paint job, up to a $500 value. I went with the Black Friday deal, because I didn't want to risk whether the paint deal would be available. Follow your local Trek shops on social media to see if there is such a deal this year. Also, they gave me a good price to trade in my 2012 Speed Concept -- they gave me bicycle bluebook value on top of the Black Friday discount. Still a lot of money, but took some of the sting out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek SC (when?) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

This is sad commentary on our industry if true...

So trek was able to make the Madone faster aerodynamically as frame along faster then a Speed Concept. In other trek bikes we have seen frame integration with places to store more stuff. The SC has simply not seen the trickle down yet. Its not just about disc vs rim break for me it was about them innovating with the Speed Concept. I wanted to give them my Money!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply

Prev Next