Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Torhans AeroZ looks intriguing
Quote | Reply
Saw that new AeroZ hydration system at the Kona expo- looks really nice and will probably get one when it comes out. Curious to if anyone has had a chance to demo it and what you thought. It doesnt look like the top cap will leak when liquid is sloshing around and the profile of it looks like it will fit nice and low on the bars- my two requirements :)

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: New Torhans AeroZ looks intriguing [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Thanks for interest. Yes the top cover is fully sealed when shut. No spill/splash. Very easy to open and close. It uses our existing Aeromount. So the width of your aero extensions will determine its height. On most bars it is right between the arms.
Release date is still TBD. We have made small modifications to the units we had at the Kona expo. These have to do with increased magnet strength, and thickening of bite valve/change to its durometer. Best guess is 45-60 days.

Hans

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Torhans AeroZ looks intriguing [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hans, any idea if this will be compatible with the new Trek Speed Concept mono-extensions?

I've been missing my Torhans since getting my new rig last year.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had to look this up to know what it was. Found this at Aerogeeks http://aerogeeks.com/...erbike-2014-torhans/

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: New Torhans AeroZ looks intriguing [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Hans, any idea if this will be compatible with the new Trek Speed Concept mono-extensions?

Hey GMAN,

Yeah, those mono extensions are problematic for us. You can use the Aero 20 on them very well if you mount the Aeromount from underneath the extensions. With the AeroZ it can only be mounted above the extensions. Sooooo I hope Trek changes this cockpit set up.

Beyond that, it is not impossible to mount it to the mono extension. However you have to get very creative to get it secure on there.

Hans

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Re: New Torhans AeroZ looks intriguing [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am getting one of these when they are ready.
Quote Reply
Re: New Torhans AeroZ looks intriguing [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! We will let you know when they are.

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done any testing to see how it compares to the Aero 30 on a "superbike"? I have a Felt DA with the Aero 30 but that bottle looks pretty sweet and no leaking makes it even better but the aerodynamics of the 30 make it still very appealing. Thanks!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: New Torhans AeroZ looks intriguing [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly the Aero 30 is the only hydration system that we have ever tested that gives big reductions in drag over a bare bike. Two guys that went to ERO sports recently contacted us to tell us they had a -7 and -9 watt reduction in drag on their Felt IAs. They gave us their data and are allowing us to publish it. We have seen this similar reduction from other tests including Starky's bike. Usually the closer you can get the Aero 30 to the head tube, the larger the drag reduction.

BTA systems in all tests we have seen are a slight reduction to neutral at best, 3-6 watt reduction at worst for one particular brand(those results are dependent on factors such as width between extensions, size of arms, etc). Having said that we designed the AeroZ to be the most aero shaped BTA system possible. By using our same aeromount we were not restricted in the units shape to fit into a standard cage. Meaning we have optimized frontal camber AND taper.

Hans

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks! Well one watt isn't too bad if that's all but I do like the 30 set up. I won't get too much splash with the baffle and cut top but still get a bit. But very worth it for the 7-9 watts!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I hear ya. The Aero Z has no splash/spill. We may incorporate a similar design for the Aero 20/30 to make it splash proof as well.

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to ask, why haven't you come up with your own splash sponge for the Aero bottles? I have the aero 30, and like others, had major splashing issues. Reading somewhere someone suggested the CeeGee splash filter/sponge. Bam. Perfect fit. I get no splashing at all. Heck I don't even had a lid anymore. It was a $6 upgrade that had turned the aero 30 from splash machine to splash proof. I have been using the sponge since early 2012 with zero problems (other than having to replace the sponge occasionally).

Quote Reply
Re: New Torhans AeroZ looks intriguing [godaddygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick, maybe dumb question, but do you put the sponge between the baffle and the cover or just in the bottle?

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just in the bottle. It is partially split in the middle so it goes right around the straw. I dont use the baffle or cover anymore (lost both). I did use the split cover before it blew off one day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh nice. I will have to try that out!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ted Striker wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Hey GMAN,

Yeah, those mono extensions are problematic for us. You can use the Aero 20 on them very well if you mount the Aeromount from underneath the extensions. With the AeroZ it can only be mounted above the extensions. Sooooo I hope Trek changes this cockpit set up.

Beyond that, it is not impossible to mount it to the mono extension. However you have to get very creative to get it secure on there.

Hans

Any pics of the Torhans 20 with the aeromount mounted underneath the Trek SC mono-extensions? I no longer have an aeromount to try it out. Does the style of extension also make a difference? I use the S-Bends which looks like it would be the most problematic of the four styles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Quick, maybe dumb question, but do you put the sponge between the baffle and the cover or just in the bottle?

The sponge is actually pretty big so it would not fit between the baffle and cover. It's probably 2" thick and 4-5" long.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well we probably should of. The inner splash barrier made it very good but depending on the road conditions where you live it varies. A sponge was always something we considered. But we always wanted something better. Now with our door design on the AeroZ being fully splash proof we are looking at a similar design for the 20/30.

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ted, your aero bento looks like a great product. Do you have a way to secure it to an older P2C. I have heard that you can use Zip Ties to secure it but would a very strong double sided tape work as well? Would like to get your thougths.
Quote Reply
Re: New Torhans AeroZ looks intriguing [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Ted, your aero bento looks like a great product. Do you have a way to secure it to an older P2C. I have heard that you can use Zip Ties to secure it but would a very strong double sided tape work as well? Would like to get your thougths.

Well it can be but we do not recommend it. We did not add straps or velcro so we could keep the unit as sleek as possible. More and more bike brands are introducing their new bikes with top tube boss mounts. This keeps our Aerobento rock solid. It will move side to side a bit if you just use double sided tape.

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Any pics of the Torhans 20 with the aeromount mounted underneath the Trek SC mono-extensions? I no longer have an aeromount to try it out. Does the style of extension also make a difference? I use the S-Bends which looks like it would be the most problematic of the four styles.[/quote]
Yeah here is a pic of Jenny with the Aero 20 mounted underneath/between the extensions. So the mount is 'wings up' like a[/url][/img]

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Hans,

I'm looking to switch over to a TorHans bottle to replace my current BTA setup. I know that the Aero 30 is the fastest under ideal conditions (relationship with the head tube) by a significant margin. I have a Shiv Tri - do you know if the Aero 30 provides significant aero benefit with the Shiv like it does with several other bikes? Or would I be better off going with the AeroZ - I'm intrigued by the potential integration with the Shiv bladder and if the aero difference is relatively small between the two bottles that could swing my decision.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh ok. I will have to check them out to keep the on board showers to a minimum!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: New Torhans AeroZ looks intriguing [cme18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Cme

We have never tested the Aero 30 on a SHIV tri. However maybe Jim at ERO has or Mark Cote if they are trolling this thread can answer that. I will say close to the head tube we have never received anything less than a negative drag number.

When testing the AeroZ we received a slight negative drag on a Trek SC. Again, BTAs never really test better than neutral.

We did have the SHIV tri in mind when designing the Z. It only takes a few minutes to tie into your internal hydration. So you will now get approx 40 oz of hydration with no excess drag and only have to use the AeroZ fill port. And that's not bad. ;)

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two questions:

Any idea how close you have to get a 30 to start seeing a big benefit? 2-3 inches or 0-1?

Also, how tall is the aero bento?
Quote Reply

Prev Next