Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin)
Quote | Reply
Thought those that love their swimming and stroke analysis etc would be interested in this new app just launched by SwimSmooth.
I am fortunate enough to train under the head coach of SwimSmooth and those of us in the squad with Apple Watches have been able to beta test this app for the last few months. (I have no other affiliation with SwimSmooth other than being a fee paying squad member)
I don't know of any other app out there that can do what this app can do presently in terms of stroke analytics etc. I get regular video assessments done and the ability to be able to monitor my stroke with the app between assessments has been very useful (and this is only one part of the app). Certainly during video assessments what the app has told me I am doing correlates almost precisely with what we see on screen.
I am not sure of the pricing models etc as have not explored the launch information thoroughly just yet.
This will also be coming to Garmin watches soon, not sure what models etc though will be able to support the app. The stroke analytics are very data intensive.

https://www.swimsmooth.com/welcome
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, this looks really cool. Will wait for the Garmin version then
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I'm a bit torn. On one hand (wrist?) then based on the web-page it looks fantastic.

But then 1st rule of internet is if something looks too good to be true, it certainly is. So the flash website and free trial (with no indication of actual price or duration of free trial). And then no explanation of how it works, or requirements worried me. Almost especially because of the very polished web page.

So then as I was bored, I looked at the two people that gave such good testimonials. Turns out one is the head coach of the singapore swim smooth squad/franchise and the other by co-incidence is also from singapore where "I’m currently in the midst of launching my ai driven data analytical focused on sports and health"

So I guess I'll wait to see what comes from this, but I admit I'm highly skeptical at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Hmm, I'm a bit torn. On one hand (wrist?) then based on the web-page it looks fantastic.

But then 1st rule of internet is if something looks too good to be true, it certainly is. So the flash website and free trial (with no indication of actual price or duration of free trial). And then no explanation of how it works, or requirements worried me. Almost especially because of the very polished web page.

So then as I was bored, I looked at the two people that gave such good testimonials. Turns out one is the head coach of the singapore swim smooth squad/franchise and the other by co-incidence is also from singapore where "I’m currently in the midst of launching my ai driven data analytical focused on sports and health"

So I guess I'll wait to see what comes from this, but I admit I'm highly skeptical at the moment.

Just to re-iterate, I am just a humble squad member.
The website and the app are very slick because firstly, SwimSmooth is a major international swim coaching business and system and secondly, they invested heavily in the software side of things including recruiting some very high level people from some major US firms to develop this. The website reflects the professional nature of their business and the people they have on board with this.
What do you need to know about how it works? What I can tell you is that it uses the accelerometers within the watch to assess your stroke, it downloads to the app at the end of the workout and you get all the stroke analytics etc. It is data intensive in the sense that it requires some pretty decent memory load on the device being used. I can't speak too much more to how it does what it does as way above my tech knowledge.
I was surprised it has launched without a clear indication of future pricing, imagine it will be linked to their Guru somehow but will ask Paul and post here when I know.
Don't mind you being sceptical, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I know those of us in the squad who have been able to beta test this during development have been very impressed with what it can do. It is not designed to replace a coach, but it gives an amazing amount of insight into your stroke that you cannot get from a device anywhere else at present.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it indeed work, then that sounds like a great tool !

Do you have to pair it with some sort of wearable for the other hand though? If not then I guess it can only give useful data on the watch-wearing hand
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [ThibThib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThibThib wrote:
If it indeed work, then that sounds like a great tool !

Do you have to pair it with some sort of wearable for the other hand though? If not then I guess it can only give useful data on the watch-wearing hand

I can assure you it works!
To get stroke feedback on both arms you need to switch the watch over during the swim. There is a recommendation of how long for the first arm before you change to the other arm.
During beta testing I would mainly just wear it on one arm for each swim, garmin on one side and Apple Watch on the other.
When we started beta testing there was no garmin version available, it was good enough for me that I brought my own Apple Watch to use mainly for swim training.
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [ThibThib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume that Apple would like you to buy a 2nd Apple watch 🤔.

But alternatively I assume that it's a case of swapping the watch over from time to time (and a settings change on the watch for that, unless the watch is smart enough to deduce whilst arm it is on - which could be possible if the direction of accelerations is used)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it truly uses flash that's a deal breaker for me (at least for the website portion). It does look interesting conceptually but all pools here in DK are closed so for now I can't try it out (anyway I don't need the watch to tell me I can't swim for 'insert expletive'). :P

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Last edited by: TizzleDK: Dec 16, 20 3:30
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
I assume that Apple would like you to buy a 2nd Apple watch 🤔.

But alternatively I assume that it's a case of swapping the watch over from time to time (and a settings change on the watch for that, unless the watch is smart enough to deduce whilst arm it is on - which could be possible if the direction of accelerations is used)

App auto detects which wrist it is on so when you swap over don't need to do a thing.
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
If it truly uses flash that's a deal breaker for me (at least for the website portion).

I have not used anything with this on the website, all app based from iPhone. Presume most people will be using it within the app. I am not sure what any web based interface looks like as we have all being using it from the app within our devices. What difference would flash make for something browser based if it is purely displaying results etc (not animation, I am not a techie with browsers and that sort of stuff).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flash has so many bugs and vulnerabilities. In fact, the support for the player ended 3 days ago. They had so many vulnerabilities and leaks it was one of the principal reasons why Steve Jobs wouldn't let it run on the iPhone. If I wanted to hire a developer and he or she wanted to use flash I would be very concerned.

Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Flash has so many bugs and vulnerabilities. In fact, the support for the player ended 3 days ago. They had so many vulnerabilities and leaks it was one of the principal reasons why Steve Jobs wouldn't let it run on the iPhone. If I wanted to hire a developer and he or she wanted to use flash I would be very concerned.

I can't answer for you but am happy to put you in touch with them if you want to find out. Knowing the team behind this, I doubt they would use something with so many issues. They have not outsourced this to some poorly resourced tech company in a third world country. Just let me know if you want more detail....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

You can if you like. I just spoke with a friend who is the Head of Software Engineering and he was horrified at the mere mention of using Flash. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it track distance or is it using the Garmin or Apple watch to track distance? Would love to have something that tracks distance based upon stroke rate/distance while swimming in an endless pool.
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any ETA as to when this is coming to Garmin? I know you said soon, but curious if you're talking in terms of weeks or months. I'd definitely be interested in giving it a shot once it's fully compatible with Garmin watches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is it possible to log drill and kick sets on the watch app?

Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
Does it track distance or is it using the Garmin or Apple watch to track distance? Would love to have something that tracks distance based upon stroke rate/distance while swimming in an endless pool.

So garmin and apple both use the change in direction of your stroke to figure out when you turned in the pool and hence distance. Whilst open water is all gps.
The only way to do that in the endless pool is to make assumptions about how far you are travelling each stroke. It would still give you all the analysis information but not sure about distance. Will check on my version if it allow set up for endless pools.
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
is it possible to log drill and kick sets on the watch app?

As far as I know yes. Think it is automatic detection but don't quote me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:

Ummm, I don't mean to seem like a smart ass but, since you set the Endless Pool (EP) at a certain speed, then all you need to do is multiply by the time you swam to get your distance, e.g. 30 min at 1.5 mph equals 0.75 mi or 1320 yds. If you set it on pace per 100 m, let's say 2:00/100 m, and you swim for 45 min, then you've gone 45/2 = 2250 m. So really I can't see the need for a watch that tracks distance for swimming in an EP.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the poster who wrote flash meant to say flashy as in a pretty site with lots of graphics, not adobe flash.
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
tri3ba wrote:

Ummm, I don't mean to seem like a smart ass but, since you set the Endless Pool (EP) at a certain speed, then all you need to do is multiply by the time you swam to get your distance, e.g. 30 min at 1.5 mph equals 0.75 mi or 1320 yds. If you set it on pace per 100 m, let's say 2:00/100 m, and you swim for 45 min, then you've gone 45/2 = 2250 m. So really I can't see the need for a watch that tracks distance for swimming in an EP.

Erik, you are correct in the calculations and the endless pool does have the fit@home app which you can use to set up workouts in advance and tells you distance, but if you've spent any amount of time swimming in an endless pool you would question how accurate it actually is. When I swim at 2:00/100 meter pace its seems much slower and an easier pace than in a lap pool. Guess if feels like you can cheat the current in a way if that makes sense by stroke rate. Would be nice to have something that provides a more accurate measurement.
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:

You didn't look hard enough.

In-App Purchases
Subscription (Annual) $179.99 Subscription (Monthly) $19.99

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: New SwimSmooth swimming app for Apple Watch (and coming soon to Garmin) [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
? I looked on website. I don't have an apple store account so if that is in the app download then I couldn't see that.

And the free trial duration?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What an incredible concept. I’ll wait til others test it out first before I give it a go .. but is it only going to be compatible with Apple Watch? I’ve got a Suunto and have no plans to switch to another brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
? I looked on website. I don't have an apple store account so if that is in the app download then I couldn't see that.

And the free trial duration?

It looks like 3 swims. I'm getting a new Apple Watch so I'll have to give it a try.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next