Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Shiv coming?
Quote | Reply
Just posted in the official Shiv thread, but then some googling led me to this

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/...19-shiv-expert-disc/

Most of the existing Shiv's are sold out in the store...does anyone know if a launch of more reasonably priced Shiv's is pending? Specs are shown...here's hoping there's a mechanical option as well!

FRAMEFACT 11r carbon, FACT IS construction, crosswind-optimized airfoils, 1-inch lower bearing, OSBB, Fit System, Integrated Nutrition and Hydration Fuelcells, disc brakesFORKFACT 11r carbon, integrated Fit System, flat-mount disc, 12x100mm thru-axleFRONT WHEELRoval C 38 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, 38mm depth, 24hREAR WHEELRoval C 38 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, 38mm depth, 24hINNER TUBESTurbo Ultralight, 48mm Presta valveFRONT TYRETurbo Pro, 60 TPI, folding bead, BlackBelt protection, 700x24mmREAR TYRETurbo Pro, 60 TPI, folding bead, BlackBelt protection, 700x24mmCRANKSETShimano Ultegra R8000, HollowTech 2, 11-speed, 52/36TBOTTOM BRACKETPraxis, BB30 for ShimanoFRONT DERAILLEURShimano Ultegra Di2 R8050, braze-onREAR DERAILLEURShimano Ultegra Di2 R8050, 11-speedCASSETTEShimano Ultegra R8000, 11-speed, 11-28tCHAINShimano Ultegra, 11-speedFRONT BRAKETRP TT hydraulic levers w/ flat-mount caliperREAR BRAKETRP TT hydraulic levers w/ flat-mount caliperHANDLEBARSSpecialized Shiv Aerobar, carbon, variable stack adjustTAPES-Wrap Roubaix w/ sticky gelSADDLESitero Expert Gel, hollow Ti railsSEATPOSTShiv Carbon, 0mm offsetPEDALSNylon, 105x78x28mm, loose ball w/ reflectors
As with any product, specification is subject to change without prior notification. You are advised to confirm current specification before buying.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv coming? [TriDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Didn't they come out with the new Shiv just prior to Kona?

According to the US Specialized website. both the new Shiv and the older Shiv are still available:

https://www.specialized.com/...ikes/c/roadtriathlon

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv coming? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

According to the US Specialized website. both the new Shiv and the older Shiv are still available:

The $14k bike launched with Kona, nothing down market. Other than that it's all the old frame, and they're almost all listed as sold out beyond a couple of sizes. I assume with the season about to be in full-swing they'd typically want to have something to sell... Expert for example only has S and XL in stock.

Basically I'm asking if they're ready to start the trickle down technology closer to the masses shortly, and this link implies that at least the first step of that may be coming? Perhaps a better title would have been 'Trickle-Down Shiv's coming?'
Last edited by: TriDW: Mar 24, 19 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just hope the trickle down shiv has the nylon pedals with reflectors. (see end of lengthy bike specs, wtf). Actually sounds more like trickle UP from a Walmart Huffy bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I mean yea they did but nobody considers that an actual consumer product. That’s an advertising piece. I think the OP is asking if a new Shiv that people will ACTUALLY buy is on the horizon soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That ugly thing with a “bladder” behind the seat?
Over the past 10 years I rode Specialized (transition and then shiv). The moment I saw Lucy Charles drop a bottle in Kona trying to fill that monstrousity I knew that if I ever end up getting a new bike it’s going to be a Trek, Canyon or a Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv coming? [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
That ugly thing with a “bladder” behind the seat?
Over the past 10 years I rode Specialized (transition and then shiv). The moment I saw Lucy Charles drop a bottle in Kona trying to fill that monstrousity I knew that if I ever end up getting a new bike it’s going to be a Trek, Canyon or a Cervelo.

You picked the same 3 "if I were to buy now" bikes as I would, as of today--this moment. If you watch Kona footage, it seems like Charles (*note the name here was edited, had it wrong the first time*) has liquid splash out of her rear drink system just as she grabs it off the rack (on replayed it several times in slow motion). Others look as if they have tape holding the top cap on. Personally, I would not even consider the new Specialized as a top 5 contender for purchase. I'd put QR in there too as ahead of Specialized. The new Shiv looks like a plain ho-hum bike behind a cool front end. Once you get behind the bars, I'm so disappointed in it. It's just a mess. The bento hydration system is a fail. Plus, it's ugly as hell. Then they want what--$12.5 K for it? Good luck with that.

As for Canyon, love their bikes but I feel they are missing the boat already by not showing any kind of line up yet for disc bikes. If Canyon doesn't want to get squashed by the new Cervelo line, they need more adjustable bars in all directions and change that front end to move away from rim brakes. As it stands, I would easily choose the new P5 over a Canyon, in part, because of my communication with them early this year was that they were NOT going with disc brakes period, on the Speedmax, as they saw no reason and rims were better. If race wheels phase out of rim brakes, they won't have a choice, unless they make their own wheels down the line. I don't know if the rep on the phone just was trying to keep folks from not holding off on a purchase to wait for an updated Speedmax, but it sorta turned me off a bit more to the Canyon. Having Frodo, Lange & Sanders on Canyon does not make me have a "I wanna race like them so I'll buy their bike" type envy. I think we will see Trek knock it down too with updates...always liked the Trek. But man, that new P5 is gorgeous. The 2020 P5 will come in Stealth black too, so that makes it way more attractive to me for purchase. Canyon needs to step it up, I do really like their base bar though. Of course, I think the 51 SS and Tri Rig makes some nice ones too.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Mar 25, 19 16:31
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv coming? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If you watch Kona footage, it seems like Ryf has liquid splash out of her rear drink system just as she grabs it off the rack (on replayed it several times in slow motion). Others look as if they have tape holding the top cap on. Personally, I would not even consider the new Specialized as a top 5 contender for purchase. I'd put QR in there too as ahead of Specialized.

Are you sure Ryf was riding a Specialized? I think that she is sponsored by Felt.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Are you sure Ryf was riding a Specialized? I think that she is sponsored by Felt.

Assume he meant Charles.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 25, 19 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daniela is a Felt rider dog.

But in regards to Canyon missing the boat. Considering how many of their non-triathlon offerings have Disc. It's probably coming. I mentioned this about Argon as well, 80% of Argon's road lineup is disc-brake.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv coming? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the answer to 'is a new Shiv coming soon' is 'I hate the Shiv' got it 😀

To those that hate it, given a 25% discount on old shiv (and assuming I dont need discs) I assume the practical difference to a very MOP athlete is minimal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Shiv is the one they debuted. If you mean is an updated old shiv with disc brakes coming? I suppose it could be. the new shiv was built in limited quantities.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv coming? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The new Shiv is the one they debuted. If you mean is an updated old shiv with disc brakes coming? I suppose it could be. the new shiv was built in limited quantities.

Yes, the question is on more affordable version of the shiv disc that are actually available for sale, unlike all the Shiv's currently on the website...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering that too. I went to buy a fuelcell for my shiv last week and it was gone from the Specialized US site. And a lot of the online US bike shops listed it as discontinued. Took me hours to find a place with them still in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

If you watch Kona footage, it seems like Ryf has liquid splash out of her rear drink system just as she grabs it off the rack (on replayed it several times in slow motion). Others look as if they have tape holding the top cap on. Personally, I would not even consider the new Specialized as a top 5 contender for purchase. I'd put QR in there too as ahead of Specialized.

My bad, it was Lucy Charles. It was a close up shot when she was in T1 grabbing her bike. Can anyone tell if that is black electrical tape around the top of the cap on that hydration system, it looks the cap itself is black or lined with electrical tape all the way around it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at all the photos from Kona you will see every Shiv riders rear hydration top cap had come off.
Quote Reply