Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Saddle Brand: Wove
Quote | Reply
This thread is to announce my new saddle brand. I'm walking the thin line between making an announcement and gaining brand awareness via these messageboards - I want to respect Dan's wishes for such posts and I'll edit this post as needed. Thank you Dan.

wovebike.com (just tossed together yesterday and a large scale overhaul and new logo are on the way)
instagram.com/wovebike

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jun 1, 22 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Brand: Miles [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just my two cents in case you want it ... for the road saddle especially you’re going to need something that looks a lot prettier than what’s on your website. Most bespoke crazy light saddles look like a work of art (e.g. Berk).

For the TT/Tri saddle. My favorite saddle is the original Belcarra Tri, which doesn’t seem a lot different than your design. The thing that’s awesome about that saddle is the end is covered in bumpy rubber, very grippy. You don’t move around like every other saddle. Recommend this as an option!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be a dumb idea, but since you're building a tri specific saddle it might be worth a thought. I've noticed that quite a lot of saddles have a lot of empty space under the saddle, in my view this would be ideal to store an inner tube and some tire levers out of the wind. It would only require increasing the height of the saddle rails slightly and maybe create some mounting points.
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Brand: Miles [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
appreciated!

We’ll have more images coming that do thedog more justice, though we’re not doing bespoke saddles. And re: TT, we’re not interested in simply copying designs that did not work for us or our pros. More to come! this a soft launch and a good time to hear feedback like yours, so keep it coming.

Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Brand: Miles [TomvdS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomvdS wrote:
This might be a dumb idea, but since you're building a tri specific saddle it might be worth a thought. I've noticed that quite a lot of saddles have a lot of empty space under the saddle, in my view this would be ideal to store an inner tube and some tire levers out of the wind. It would only require increasing the height of the saddle rails slightly and maybe create some mounting points.

I like it! We’re definitely including storage options for the saddle. We wanted to be universal and will be suggesting the use of the Woldtooth BRad System with us providing standard water bottle cage bolt spacing. As for the height of the rails, another goal is for people to just be able to put the saddle on, level it, and ride. If we require people to change their saddle height, that won’t allow us to hit that goal. Both saddles are unique in that you can ride anywhere on them and not have to think about it - this is the feedback we get frequently: ‘I can sit anywhere and it just works’
With our update to the website we have planned in the coming weeks, will explain the science we used to make that possible.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the various saddles I have at home, there's already about 8mm difference between the lowest (measured bottom rails to top saddle) and the highest. So changing saddle for me automatically means fine tuning the seat height. I do agree, once mounted, you should not change the saddle height depending on your use, but for first installation I do not see an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That website needs some work.

I read through your post and ended up thinking it was a pitch for you and your company's management, rather than for a saddle. Why should I, as a consumer, replace my current saddle with yours?
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Brand: Miles [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 about the site copy.

Also would point out that that there's no info on the site about purchasing/availability/etc so from ux perspective it may be a liability in its present form.

Saddle on Sam's bike in the video looks great. Good luck with this -- will definitely be interested in checking these out when they're available.
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Brand: Miles [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
That website needs some work.

I read through your post and ended up thinking it was a pitch for you and your company's management, rather than for a saddle. Why should I, as a consumer, replace my current saddle with yours?

Will let you know as we incrementally update the site and provide more information and make products available.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And virtually every vender claims their saddle is the best in the world. That is pretty much a lie so don't jump on that bandwagon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been able to see some of the behind-the-scenes work Nick has put in to this over a long period of time. He has been making many many nuanced changes to the saddle design, all driven by feedback from his pro testing partners as well as his own extensive experience riding bikes.

I expect that this will be a phenomenal saddle and I look forward to riding one.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  1. What is infinergy foam?
  2. Specifically, why is your saddle better than the next closest competitors' saddle(s)? As in, what makes your saddle different but better? Serious question and would love to hear detailed answer.
  3. Who do you see as your closest competitors?
  4. Do you have women riders who love your saddles? What have they said?

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Brand: Miles [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

2. Specifically, why is your saddle better than the next closest competitors' saddle(s)? As in, what makes your saddle different but better? Serious question and would love to hear detailed answer.

I'll respond in-line:

• BASF Infinergy is what is used by Adidas in their Boost shoes. We've tested many foams, and we came up with a special mix of different size Infinergy "beads" with a liquid foam that keeps it light, and doesn't compress nearly as fast as typical saddle foam, and provides a good balance of being comfortable, cushy yet firm, without the rider sinking into the foam.

• The largest differentiator is that both of our saddles are comfortable in any position. We see three anatomical areas of concern with saddles, and while some saddles are good for two of those areas, they fail in the third.
    • They are: 1) saddle support areas are well aligned with the pelvic bones in all angles as the rider leans forward or sits up, 2) saddle does not cause soft tissue pressure regardless of how far leaned forward the rider is, and 3) saddle does not cause thigh rubbing, even for people highly sensitive to the perception of a slight rub causing serious discomfort.
    • Achieving those three factors can be hard to incorporate into a single saddle when bodies range in size and sensitivities, and people ride at different angles on their saddle. But, that's what we've done and it's taken years and many prototypes and may testers. I'll share the research on our website and instagram in the coming weeks and when we do an actual launch, with products for sale, with our messaging rhetoric and imagery dialed.
    • our TT saddle cover material provides the right amount of 'locking you in place' while allowing for some easy fore/aft adjustment. Just watch Rudy and Sam race; you don't see them shifting around. Our road/gravel/mtb saddle allows for more fore/aft adjustability with just a teeny amount of grip.

• Tri/TT: ISM PN series, Cobb JOF55, Belcarra Tri, Secret Saddle Club
    • Road/Gravel/Mtb: Specialized Power, Pro Stealth, Bontrager Aeolus, Fizik Argo, Prologo Dimension, Fabric Line Pro

• Yes - we've been sure to include women in our UX testing. The biggest take away in terms of gender from this research and the thousands of bike fits I've done prior to creating saddles is there's slightly more women than men valuing softer padding in a TT saddle.
    • I'll speak to this research in an on-going matter on IG, and will keep conducting research.

Last edited by: milesthedog: May 17, 21 12:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic reply. Thank you!

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you think that women prefer softer padding?
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Brand: Miles [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why do you think that women prefer softer padding?

the empirical observation is that there are *slightly more women than men who prefer softer padding. To imply a causal reason, I turn to anecdotal data for the following hypotheses:
- less than 20% of the population for men and women have higher nerve sensitivity along their ischio-pubic rami and ischial tuberosity which increases pain sensation, especially on split-nosed saddles where there is reduced surface area.
- To ride a split-nose saddles, this portion of the population benefts from more padding.
-There are more women than men who experience this pain sensation, but no more than 5% more women than men experience this pain

For the riders who wanted soft tissue relief and needed a super soft saddle, the ISM Century and Typhoon were their go-to (those saddles have been renamed in recent years). the Miles V8 saddle isn't as soft as those two saddles, but it does resolve those riders' issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on redoing the website copy.

Also, the pictures of the saddles on your Strava have MUCH better lighting and detail than the ones on the website.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Brand: Miles [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
+1 on redoing the website copy.

Also, the pictures of the saddles on your Strava have MUCH better lighting and detail than the ones on the website.

On it. Thanks!

Last edited by: milesthedog: Nov 13, 21 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the dimensions of both saddles especially the width at the nose of the TT saddle, that a big factor for a lot of people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks really promising, well done on the level of design that has gone in. There are very few (=1) brands that I can think of that have taken such an exhaustive approach.
Couple of questions:
1. Shore level?
2. Dimensions - particularly distance from the nose to the 80mm width point
3. Sales channels - dtc only, through fitters, through stores?
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Brand: Miles [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: milesthedog: May 15, 23 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cover material. the V8 uses a long lasting and slightly grippy cover material. thedog uses what we've been calling chinchilla which feels great while riding on a road, gravel or mtb. We're toying with some BASF PU materials that we'll bond to the foam right in the tooling. finalizing that soon.

last, here's a shot of an early version of our one-piece rails + shell, with 7mm round unidirectional rails. Both saddles will exceed ISO standards before being shipped out. an example of what those look like: link here

We'll aim to have pre-sales available before the end of June.

Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Brand: Miles [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and to answer your distribution question: direct for handmade initial saddles. through fitters and shops and direct for mass produced saddles and once we hit a a particular volume in sales, will go through distributors.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new video: https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link

and small updates to the website (link below)

Last edited by: milesthedog: May 19, 21 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think even if you’re doing all the right things, the presentation can be off putting. I do get the impression that this is your passion project, (which is a good thing!), but the lack of polish may keep a lot of people from considering your product.

It seems that contracting a good industrial design student, and a graphic designer (let them bid for your projects online, where many freelancers have portfolios and reviews) would more than pay off in terms of first impressions.

It’s hard to not end up with a lot of marketing cliches!
https://youtube.com/...w7Ec8Q?&t=03m20s

Please consider this as constructive criticism, and best of luck!
Last edited by: codygo: May 20, 21 23:13
Quote Reply

Prev Next