Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Road Bike Options for Me with many good options.
Quote | Reply
I am going to likely buy a new bike in the next month (fit scheduled at end of July). The shop is known for being trustworthy with fits and I used to work there 10 years ago. I trust the owner who is fitting me.

Budget is $3500 or less

Here are the brands available that I am considering:

Trek (Emonda 5SL or 6SL)
BMC (don't know much about their road line)
FELT (AR?)
Cervelo S2 or S3 or R3
Cannondale

I really like the look of the new Emonda. I saw a video where someone suggested just getting the 6 vs the 6 Pro saving some coin and upgrading to other wheels later (HED etc.)

I used to be big in Tri and there is a little chance I may come back, but right now I like riding on a saddle that doens't hurt or give me sores. I did go to same shop for trying to figure out the seating issues in tri position and even used the seat map, no luck. My goal is to get a fast, comfortable bike that I can enjoy riding.

I currently ride a 2006 Specialized Allez. I like it, but feel like the fit is off, as I've changed in body type and weight and position. I am 44.

What should I consider with regard to riding quality (I like riding hills and go to Shenandoah every once in a while), warranty and bang for my buck...

Thanks in advance.

*Also, what should I look to avoid?
Quote Reply
Re: New Road Bike Options for Me with many good options. [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I "want" to like Cannondale, but they do too many proprietary things (offset wheels, asymmetric bottom brackets) that it turns me off.

If you like the Emonda, I'd also consider the Giant TCR I've always been a fan of Giants, quality bikes at reasonable prices. But you say that you're tied to that shop, so maybe that's not an option. My 2 LBSs's that I like are Trek/Cannondale and a Giant shop.

Out of the options you present, the new Emonda wins my vote, hands down. watch the seat height on the Emonda, make sure you get the correct seat mast.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New Road Bike Options for Me with many good options. [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Allez is pretty old-school, so anything should be an improvement for daily riding. As far as comfort goes, the biggest driver of that will be tires. Running a 25 or 28 mm tire will do more for comfort than any minor difference in frame shape and carbon layup.

In my opinion, Felt usually offers the most bang for the buck. I would up your budget by 1000 and see if the shop will give you $500 off on the new AR. That is a really nice package and you would have the fancy carbon wheels you were thinking of buying later anyway. It also comes with Conti tubeless 5000s in a 25 width and fits up to 30s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid choices. Maybe also want to consider a Canyon endurace or ultimate, both good bang for buck assuming they fit

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even the Felt FR is a good bang-for-buck bike. For $4000 you get Ultegra and Reynolds AR41 wheels. Solid components.

I bought a Felt VR last year and sometimes wish I had gotten the FR model, but I think that is mainly ego talking of having a "race" bike. It seems Felt doesn't get a lot of recommendations or are very widespread, which is shocking to me given the price point, quality, and what you get.
Last edited by: lightning33: Jul 11, 20 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a little above your budget (listed at $4200) but I recently rode this Wilier and it seemed like a very nice bike:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...a-complete-road-bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOVE my S3!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo or Cannondale (do not be scared about Cannondale's proprietary components as they are making great bikes).
Quote Reply
Re: New Road Bike Options for Me with many good options. [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am getting fit tomorrow. Pretty excited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I am getting fit tomorrow. Pretty excited.

did you have your fit session yet?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about a Trek Domane? The IsoSpeed does wonders for ride quality.
Quote Reply