Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Profile Design HSF 800 Bottle
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Profile Design HSF 800 Bottle [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this. It’s as if PD saw Xlab/Torhans’ products from 7(?) years ago and said, well, we can’t copy those right now, let’s wait until 2020 so it doesn’t seem as suspicious. But, looks decent (like the other two offerings).
Quote Reply
Re: New Profile Design HSF 800 Bottle [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does look good! Apparently you can unscrew the back for easy cleaning

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s a nice touch. My biggest issue with the Torhans/Xlab was total PIA to clean.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 25, 20 17:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve probably thrown out 5 XLAB torpedos from them getting nasty

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest issue with this bottle and I am sure a lot of modern day triathlete positions will have is the fill point is at the very back. With everyone frothing at modern bars offering a more mantis position and even the rider pictured on their web page has angled bars. If I placed that on my bike running at the angle of the bars I I'd get a few mouthfuls of water in there. The Vision DS1 is the best bottle I have found with the fill point at the very front and you can easily open and clean.

https://shop.visiontechusa.com/type/hydration/hydration/road-triathlon-time-trial-track/drinking-system-ds1
Quote Reply
Re: New Profile Design HSF 800 Bottle [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valid point but that Vision Tech bottle is hideous looking and also looks slow like the Speedfil bottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL I'll take functionality over looks any day but not sure where you get slow from? It's tucked between your arms and by my point at an angle for a start. I don't use the computer mount and the tube is on a hinge so you can bend it down so it doesn't see the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
LOL I'll take functionality over looks any day but not sure where you get slow from? It's tucked between your arms and by my point at an angle for a start. I don't use the computer mount and the tube is on a hinge so you can bend it down so it doesn't see the wind.

I obviously don’t know about “slow” but seem to recall the speed fil product tested slow and this has a similar shape.

As to looks, I will take functionality and looks over just functionality (I’m not saying this product has both, but the VT product definitely does not!).

My list of front hydration has always been (in no particular order)

(1) looks good/sleek/decent color scheme
(2) at least looks aero if it tested well
(3) functional for set up-for drinking, refilling etc
(4) easily cleaned
(5) doesn’t leak-I mean not even a drop
(6) good set up on aerobars/ easily removed, allows for computer set up, stable, no rattling, etc

If it can’t do all of the above, it’s standard BTA bottle for me. I have yet to find a front hydration that ticks all these boxes. Which is why I’m still using a standard bottle in a standard cage.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 25, 20 19:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
honestly IDK people buy these bottles.

the overwhelming majority of the time they are slower than 4 zip ties, a gorilla cage and a normal water bottle

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd take a black bottle in a heart beat for photo op's and walking it into transition. That being said it's functional to see how much liquid you have in your bottle training and on an IM. Apart from that it ticks all your boxes for me so I'm a happy customer...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFY8ijwFgU5/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree

Not sure why you’d get a hand up to spend time refilling the aero bta and ditch the bottle. When u can just get a bta normal bottle and just swap it out 🤷‍♂️
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I saw this. It’s as if PD saw Xlab/Torhans’ products from 7(?) years ago and said, well, we can’t copy those right now, let’s wait until 2020 so it doesn’t seem as suspicious. But, looks decent (like the other two offerings).

The timeframe is just because it has been a very slow project...
In truth, I'd never seen an Xlab or torhans bottle when this project began. Even now, I may have taken a couple of XLabs off bikes during fits but I've never examined one.

Personally I prefer a standard bottle. So tried to give the HSF 800 as sleek a frontal profile as possible to mitigate the aero penalty of systems with hoses.

As for the tilt issue mentioned in another response - working on addressing that.
Quote Reply
Re: New Profile Design HSF 800 Bottle [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Totally agree

Not sure why you’d get a hand up to spend time refilling the aero bta and ditch the bottle. When u can just get a bta normal bottle and just swap it out 🤷‍♂️

I’ve always had this philosophy as well, but am planning to try a refillable solution for my next IM. Reason being that the Gatorade endurance bottles are a real pita and don’t really fit in my setup, often blocking my computer (I’m a smaller athlete, so short extensions). I also thought some forced back stretching might be nice. I may try this gadget out ... the refill cap looks better than the slab I have, and the ability to clean seems nice ( if it doesn’t start leaking).

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: New Profile Design HSF 800 Bottle [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

The timeframe is just because it has been a very slow project...
In truth, I'd never seen an Xlab or torhans bottle when this project began. Even now, I may have taken a couple of XLabs off bikes during fits but I've never examined one.

Personally I prefer a standard bottle. So tried to give the HSF 800 as sleek a frontal profile as possible to mitigate the aero penalty of systems with hoses.

As for the tilt issue mentioned in another response - working on addressing that.

I know there was a lot that went into this bottle, I was being facetious. It looks like a good option. I appreciate the response and info and look forward to further updates!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
My biggest issue with this bottle and I am sure a lot of modern day triathlete positions will have is the fill point is at the very back. With everyone frothing at modern bars offering a more mantis position and even the rider pictured on their web page has angled bars. If I placed that on my bike running at the angle of the bars I I'd get a few mouthfuls of water in there. The Vision DS1 is the best bottle I have found with the fill point at the very front and you can easily open and clean.

https://shop.visiontechusa.com/type/hydration/hydration/road-triathlon-time-trial-track/drinking-system-ds1

I've now used a few different BTA systems. PD FC35 (most water volume), Speedfill, and Vision Metron Front Hydration system.

I didn't do zip ties on the speedfill because I didn't like it on the bike when I was on my trainer. Had it on a single screw...but that barely stayed in place, then I put it on an xlab base plate and the vibrations just wobbled the nuts off and it flew off on training ride. I would say the one bottle that has leaked the least is the Metron and it's pretty aero. Refilling can be toughish, but like anything get comfortable with it.

https://shop.visiontechusa.com/en/type/hydration/hydration/triathlon/metron-front-hydration-system

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Sep 26, 20 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: New Profile Design HSF 800 Bottle [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That maybe, but these bottles don't need to be taken out of the cage to take a sip - meaning that I can drink more often and pretty much in any setting - on a descent, etc. Oh and I don't need to get out of aero to drink which probably offsets any losses.

The downside is that refilling these bottles on the bike is a pain.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Totally agree

Whag about races where Gatorade comes in the regular bottle intead of a bike bottle? Thats why I first got a bta system. The gatorade ones rattled and ejected if i didnt physically hold them down with my hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a breather valve that allows air intake while you sip? I find the Torpedo air valve is stiff and doesn't let in enough air
Quote Reply
Re: New Profile Design HSF 800 Bottle [hphock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a Good drink system that fits a regular bottle cage bta, with a straw that Can be hidden from the wind (magnet or something).

I like my Pd FC35, but i am switching to an Aerocoach Ascalon extension system and Are stuck with a bottle cage system.

Seems to be some drawbacks with the HSF800 when using a 15 degree tilt as i do, so What Are the best options?
Quote Reply
Re: New Profile Design HSF 800 Bottle [BenjiChr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little late but I'm looking for a BTA for my new bike and it looks like PD has finally addressed the angle with a wedge kit:

https://profile-design.com/...ts/hsf-bta-wedge-set
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Totally agree

After many races where they hand up bottles that don't fit a bottle cage, you learn to be responsible for your self if you care about your result.
Quote Reply
Re: New Profile Design HSF 800 Bottle [BenjiChr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real question is, you gonna sell me that PD FC35 you’re not using?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Profile Design HSF 800 Bottle [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
honestly IDK people buy these bottles.

the overwhelming majority of the time they are slower than 4 zip ties, a gorilla cage and a normal water bottle

Smaller QR V-PRs are getting the best of both worlds then as this is the bottle it come with and it will be set up with zip ties.
Quote Reply

Prev Next