Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances
Quote | Reply
New poll over on the right-->

Now that James "Iron Cowboy" Lawrence has wrapped up his incredible 50 Ironmans in 50 states in 50 days challenge, I got to thinking about how people PERCEIVED this as compared with various pros. What James did is incredible. But it's also something that, in certain ways, represents a challenge for professional athletes.

James has numerous sponsors, including support from companies that don't support any pros - like AirBNB. His social media accounts have numbers that don't outshine the very top pros, but which are certainly "competitive." And the media coverage - both endemic and non-endemic - of what he's done has been incredible.

You simply would not get this in more mainstream sports. Like, I can't imagine some guy playing 50 rounds of golf in 50 days in 50 states to raise awareness for anything... Or some guys playing 50 games of baseball in 50 states in 50 days. I'm pretty sure the MLB already does this...

This has certainly been the largest spectacle - I can remember - in our sport. And it was done by a "regular" guy.

To the random person off the street, the answer is obvious. What James did is more "impressive." That's the way these things always work. Diana Nyad created a similar debate within the open water swimming world. All everyone talked about what that she swam like 10x the English Channel, without much mention being made of the fact that she attempted the English Channel and wasn't able to finish it. Diana Nyad was THE best open water swimmer in the world to everyone who didn't know anything about open water swimming. To people who did, it was a much more interesting debate.

So I'm curious. How do you all view what James Lawrence just achieved? Certainly the threads - plural - about his 505050 challenge have been nearly unprecedented in their popularity. Only Kona - given, it's a single day - come close to generating that much interest.

So, now that he's actually done it, now that he's finished, how does it stack up for all of you, who actually know something about this sport?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Jul 25, 15 22:21
Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the one hand, I admire him. That's a lot of swimming, biking, and running. More long distance "races" than most of us do in a lifetime, in less than two months.

On the other hand, that elliptical...

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
On the other hand, that elliptical...
stfu about the elliptical
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless I'm mistaken the dude just swam 120 miles, rode 6000 miles, ran (or elliptical'd) 1310 miles in 50 days across 50 states. That is a seriously impressive performance.
Last edited by: fredclausen: Jul 26, 15 0:56
Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With regard to that elliptical, 140.6 x 50 = 7,030.

26.2 / 7,030 = 0.37%.

To put that in ST understanding, if you are on a 2400ish calorie diet that's the equivalent of about one cashew.

Alternatively, if you are trying to take in 300 calories per hour on the bike, that the equivalent of missing about half a Tic Tac.

Yes, let's focus on that part of his accomplishment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what he achieved other than exercising a lot for 50 days. Any idea how much money he raised and how much was given to charity? That is the potential impressive part of his actions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty darn impressive in my view.

From all reports, he kept it fun and interesting throughout.

He gets my admiration for completing something that very few would ever be crazy enough to attempt.

I will say that I can envision being able to exercise for 13-17 hours per day for 50 days (I'm not saying that I would ever attempt this but I can see how this would be possible for an "everyman" like me), but I can't ever imagine being able to go low eight hours for a single IM (not physically possible given my tool set). Both are amazing achievements in very different ways.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not just in this case, but in general, I'm not a fan of self-defined/self-controlled challenges where the own protagonist defines the rules, and even can change them on the go, to fit his/her personal marketing interest.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: Ale Martinez: Jul 26, 15 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the universe of attention-suck athletics, Iron Cowboy's achievement is impressive. It's its own category. I'm glad he reached his goal, but don't care deeply about the stunt.

I feel the same about people who do gimmick marathons, like runing-backwards guy, juggling running guy, the rhino suit guy, the guy who runs for testicular cancer awareness dressed as a really big hairy pair.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Not sure what he achieved other than exercising a lot for 50 days.

I think the general public considers Ironman a lot of exercising as well, given that on TV it looks like slow swimming, slow biking, then jogging. (7:00-pace running does tend to look like jogging on TV to people who otherwise watch NFL football, etc.)
Last edited by: trail: Jul 26, 15 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your post just has a touch of self-entitlement and butthurt. :) Just a touch.
Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was an Iron Cowboy fanboy for the first 18 or so races. So much, that I was going to donate to his cause. But then I saw the IV sticking out of his arm while on a bike trainer, and then he used an elliptical instead of completing a marathon; he did not complete an Ironman distance race that day by pure definition. Black and white, you can't deny or debate it. He did not complete the 50/50/50.

It also seemed he started out doing this as another world record attempt, with charity and children's obesity as a secondary focus. Which is fine. I was prepared to donate just to help James complete such an amazingly cool accomplishment. It seems since the elliptical he's switched gears and focused more on the charity and stating it's not a world record attempt. I just hope he's genuine about his charity and is not using it as a shield and marketing tool like Lance Armstrong.

Childhood obesity is a problem and is unhealthy; but is completing 49 Ironman distances in 50 days healthy?

I came across this post from Nick Mallett on Facebook and I thought it appropriate to repost in this thread:

Quote:
Iron Cowboy,did you use an Elliptical trainer to replace a treadmill during the last day or so?If so then you can't ,with any reason ,say that you have done 19 Ironmans in 19 days and your 50/50/50 is done as far as the original brief is concerned..
I really appreciate the massive challenge that you are facing and admire the way you have dealt with it all both physically and mentally so don't for one minute think I am dismissing what you have already done.I am currently on a 4,000 kilometer six country,three Iron distance race, cycle tour which started in Australia at Ironman Cairns and will finish at Challenge Penticton(Oz,Singapore.Malaysia,Thailand,US,Canada) so make no mistake,as far as a love of adventure,we are kindred spirits.It is just that,when you promote a challenge as one thing and then start shifting the goalposts beyond all recognition of what was originally planned then you lose credibility.
I know that some here will call me a hater for having a contrary opinion but I may come from a slightly different position than most as I have been a member of the small, but growing,ultra-triathlon community for more than 20 years and during that time have met,raced with and become friends with a lot of the guys who did the 30 Irons in 30 Days in Italy and Didier who did the solo 33 Iron's in 30 Days.After my Quintuple Ironman was over I watched the guys in the Double Deca Ironman suffer like dogs day after day after day without EVER shifting the goalposts of their task just to make it easier to finish.They either finished,or they didn't.
Respect the sport and respect those who have gone before you and you will in turn earn the respect of all those who most here will call "haters".
You must be having am amazing time with your friends and family on the road and I know your relationships with those people will be changed forever in ways you will never be able to explain and of that I am truly envious.

Good luck to you.
[end quote]

Source: https://www.facebook.com/...osts/934510669947182
Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Jul 26, 15 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I was an Iron Cowboy fanboy for the first 18 or so races. So much, that I was going to donate to his cause. But then I saw the IV sticking out of his arm while on a bike trainer, and then he used an elliptical instead of completing a marathon; he did not complete an Ironman distance race that day by pure definition. Black and white, you can't deny or debate it. He did not complete the 50/50/50.

It also seemed he started out doing this as another world record attempt, with charity and children's obesity as a secondary focus. Which is fine. I was prepared to donate just to help James complete such an amazingly cool accomplishment. It seems since the elliptical he's switched gears and focused more on the charity and stating it's not a world record attempt. I just hope he's genuine about his charity and is not using it as a shield and marketing tool like Lance Armstrong.

Childhood obesity is a problem and is unhealthy; but is completing 49 Ironman distances in 50 days healthy?

I came across this post from Nick Mallett on Facebook and I thought it appropriate to repost in this thread:

Quote:
Iron Cowboy,did you use an Elliptical trainer to replace a treadmill during the last day or so?If so then you can't ,with any reason ,say that you have done 19 Ironmans in 19 days and your 50/50/50 is done as far as the original brief is concerned..
I really appreciate the massive challenge that you are facing and admire the way you have dealt with it all both physically and mentally so don't for one minute think I am dismissing what you have already done.I am currently on a 4,000 kilometer six country,three Iron distance race, cycle tour which started in Australia at Ironman Cairns and will finish at Challenge Penticton(Oz,Singapore.Malaysia,Thailand,US,Canada) so make no mistake,as far as a love of adventure,we are kindred spirits.It is just that,when you promote a challenge as one thing and then start shifting the goalposts beyond all recognition of what was originally planned then you lose credibility.
I know that some here will call me a hater for having a contrary opinion but I may come from a slightly different position than most as I have been a member of the small, but growing,ultra-triathlon community for more than 20 years and during that time have met,raced with and become friends with a lot of the guys who did the 30 Irons in 30 Days in Italy and Didier who did the solo 33 Iron's in 30 Days.After my Quintuple Ironman was over I watched the guys in the Double Deca Ironman suffer like dogs day after day after day without EVER shifting the goalposts of their task just to make it easier to finish.They either finished,or they didn't.
Respect the sport and respect those who have gone before you and you will in turn earn the respect of all those who most here will call "haters".
You must be having am amazing time with your friends and family on the road and I know your relationships with those people will be changed forever in ways you will never be able to explain and of that I am truly envious.

Good luck to you.
[end quote]

Source: https://www.facebook.com/...osts/934510669947182

Great post

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not just in this case, but in general, I'm not a fan of self-defined/self-controlled challenges where the own protagonist defines the rules, and even can change them on the go, to fit his/her personal marketing interest. //

So guess you were not a fan of Neil Armstrong, Edmund Hillary, or Shackelton either.

Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh ya, the poll. I think what Gwen has done(and still doing by the way) gets my top vote, IC comes in as 2nd. What the others have done is quite remarkable in the sporting sense, but no more than some golfer shooting a 60, or a basketball player scoring 60+ points. Just a really good day in their respective sports. What Gwen has done is string together a lot of really good days, and some of them not so good, but always coming out on top. WHo knows, maybe she will continue and put that number out there with Bob Beamons long jump record. One of those stratospheric records that takes decades to beat, if ever.

I feel like not many could even come close to what the IC did, pro athletes included. I say this because they are more like race horses, fine tuned and able to do incredible speeds. But the IC is a plow horse with a rare ability to be able to do a lot of movement, day after day, and not fall apart. There are so many things that could have gone wrong with his body, and some of them did. But he persevered through, and avoided the dozens of event ending debilitating injuries that were surly right at his door. And to do all of this on a shoestring with his family, in a motorhome, well that is just pure nuts. I try and just go to a couple states in my motorhome with only 3 kids for a week or two, and we barley survive that. Hats off IC, enjoy the post event festivities, sure there will be plenty to come..
Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You either do the swim, bike and RUN every day for 50 days or it just does not count. Triathlon is swimming in water, riding a real bike outside or on a trainer and then you either run outside or inside on a treadmill. If you do not do these things, then you are not doing a true triathlon.

I appreciate the effort for doing this for 50 days in a row and the logistics is huge but he did not do 50 triathlons in 50 days.
Last edited by: BMANX: Jul 26, 15 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Your post just has a touch of self-entitlement and butthurt. :) Just a touch.

I'm sure. Triathlon is my livelihood. And it's not just my own, but also the way in which I support my wife and three kids. It's a real challenge when it comes to managing the fact that our sport is primarily of interest to the general public when it comes to human interest type stories or crazy feats like IC. I mean, the MOST press I've ever gotten for a race was when I raced the LA Triathlon in 2010, because it was my first race back after my wreck. My performance in LA was hardly noteworthy. But that's the only time I've ever been on broadcast TV for a race.

I don't think I try to hide my own bias here. I'm a pro. I obviously have a bias towards pro performance. But I don't think that I have any "self-entitlement" about it. Do I think it's a shame that this gets so much more attention than the pure outstanding athletic achievements in our sport? I do. If you want to call that "butthurt," go ahead. But I do accept that's our reality. I do think that it's a wake-up call, of sorts, for pros who think that prize purses need to be bigger, sponsorship dollars need to bigger, etc. because they - we - deserve them. I think there's a lesson for pros in what the Iron Cowboy did and how he did it. Some parts of that lesson kind of suck. But again, that's reality. Lots of things about reality suck...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completer v. competitor. Going long v. going fast. Although I definitely understand and admire the achievement and satisfaction of going long, I voted for one of the competitors (Jorgensen) in this poll.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 26, 15 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Not just in this case, but in general, I'm not a fan of self-defined/self-controlled challenges where the own protagonist defines the rules, and even can change them on the go, to fit his/her personal marketing interest. //

So guess you were not a fan of Neil Armstrong, Edmund Hillary, or Shackelton either.

Neil Armstrong definitely competed hard with a lot of other astronauts before being picked to be a part of that mission. He just didn't decide to do it. I think lots of serious folks attempted to do what Hillary or Shackelton did before they accomplished those goals.

If the 50-50-50 thing catches on and other talented athletes fail, the IC accomplishment will become more impressive to me. As it is now, I'm envious that IC had the time and figured out a way to finance such a great adventure. I congratulate him for his endurance to finish it, but I don't think it compares with the performances of the best triathletes on the planet.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 26, 15 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I congratulate him for his endurance to finish it, but I don't think it compares with the performances of the best triathletes on the planet. //

I don't think it is supposed to compare. He just happened to choose something he was familiar with, Ironmans. I liken it to what Scott Jurek just did on the AT. Running was his thing, but he went out and just did something that virtually no one does, try and run the entire thing. He fell short on that goal a bit, but an incredible performance none the less. My point in referencing these other men in history, was that they too just set out to do something that no one else had ever done, using their rules, their ingenuity, and what ever they had to do to accomplish those goals. Lots of people in history could be included into that category. It is just that in modern times most every place has been discovered or conquered, so we manufacture things to satisfy that part of the human spirit. Hell, that is what Ironman was all about. Make up some shit that is tougher than any of the accepted ultra races out there, and then see how fast you can do it. Maybe one day there will be 40 people on the starting line of the official 50/50/50, and the IC's accomplishment will just be looked at like Gordon Haller's achievement back in 78. I doubt it, probably would have seen Ultra Man's a lot more popular if there was a big pent up demand for races longer than a traditional ironman, but they seem to be just as they were when they first began.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is 2 things he did something what for joe blogs is amazing ( ie for most people doing an IM in 15 hours values more than doing an oly distance in sub 2 hours ) So he really hit the spot there ( and well done to him)

I can not understand while all thos people lament that he did one on an elliptical (it has to be like walking a marathon) , at the same time it is of course not a world class performance either and to be honest the question on the forum is kind of funny as i think its very simple 100 or 1000s s could do 50 50 50 but only 5 on their best day could do what frodeno did what vanhoeneacker did , and jorgenson is certainly very outstanding that is absolute world class, which 50 50 50 is not

At the same time there is obviously a lot to learn what this guy did in marketing, sponsorship acquisition, time management and I think this is much more impressive than the actual performance.

it is a great performance as it has an adventure ankle to tri , but it can not remotely compare with world class performance. At the same time if you see my first setnece for joe blogs i am sure many will rate it higher . In a way most people would be more impressed if a person climbs Mt Everest versus and technical mountains. while iam sure most serious hill climber dodnt give credit to guys that climb mt everest with a guide ( which is kind of the new ironman ) .
Last edited by: pk: Jul 26, 15 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's like comparing a racer in the pro peloton to a RAAM rider/racer. Two totally different disciplines. Comparisons are meaningless. Both are incredibly impressive, either to be the fastest of the fast at the top of the sport, or to complete ultra-endurance challenges. They can't be compared.
Quote Reply
Re: New Poll: Iron Cowboy vs Top Pro Performances [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ale Martinez wrote:
Not just in this case, but in general, I'm not a fan of self-defined/self-controlled challenges where the own protagonist defines the rules, and even can change them on the go, to fit his/her personal marketing interest.

Isn't that exactly how ironman started?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can admire these different athletes for different reasons. I don't lump Gwen in the same category as IC in anyway. What the IC did was something that we have never seen some before. Regardless of elliptical gate. I, for one, an willing to give him a pass on that. I enjoyed following him. I enjoy watching people take risks and get put themselves out there in front of the world and succeed.
I understand the concerns people have about the feat and the way it was achieved, but they are minuscule compared to the positives, besides the fact that this was a normal dude who did something totally out of the norm in a way that has never been done before
Gwen is just finominal. She is a purebred racehorse. She is one of the best athletes of her age. The difference between Gwen and the IC is that there is a defined pathway to follow being a pro triathlete. Many have followed it before. There is no pathway for 505050. There just isn't. It was special on so many levels.
What you saw as the public response was a result of his personality. His humbleness and his ability to suffer and not quit. He made his story a feel good story. He was accessible to people. They could join him for a small part of his adventure and feel a part of something. This is what set him apart from the pro's journey. You can't have 50 of your best friends join you for the final 5km of your race. Even in training you need to be all business. Besides the fact that I imagine if I tried to hang out with rapstar in the final 5km of his easy run I might set a Pb!
This was an athletic achievement. One we won't see many challenge. Maybe never again for 505050 as the logistics are just a nightmare! People are drawn to that as well.
If this guy was a double we wouldn't be talking about him. He is a good guy who is humble and approachable. That is why he is a winner.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I don't think it is supposed to compare.

I was responding to the poll question, where we are asked to compare.

I definitely understand IC's motivation. All of us are looking for something to challenge us. If the IC is feeling good about his achievement today, that is all that really matters.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 26, 15 11:42
Quote Reply

Prev Next