Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Oval Bar
Quote | Reply
I saw some opinions a while back regarding the new Oval 700TT bar. Thought I would share mine after checking it out this weekend.

I used to ride a Syntace C2 clipon with my old bike. Last year I upgraded my equipment and put a Vison Tech Trimax plus on my new ride. It's a great bar, very comfortable, stiff, and feels very clean and aero. But the problem I had was that it stretched me out too far (integrated stem, not adjustable), and I was not thrilled about the dropped hand position for climbing, although this was less of an issue for me.

For a better fit I got fitted with a new Oval bar. I thought this would be a better option b/c you can select a stem length. I was very disappointed after trying it out briefly and examining it. The hand grips are WAY to short, and you can barely get a good grip. The bar is not very light (net weight with the stem is comparable to my Vision). But my biggest gripe is with the armrests and pads. Very cheap and uncomfortable. I could not imagine riding that bar for 112 miles.

To sum up, IMO the Oval Bar is junk. I decided to go with the old standby of a Syntace C2 and a bullhorn. I think the integrated aerobar idea is really cool, but I can't see how the cool factor and the aerodynamics of would be worth the sacrafice in adjustability, lightness, comfort (and cost). I wish Syntace would come out with their Blackbird that they have prototyped at Interbike for several years.
Quote Reply
Re: New Oval Bar [sullytriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always thought Syntace was hard to beat and was hoping somebody would post something like this since I have been rationalizing not to pay the big $$$ that is being asked for the new one piece bars. If these things are as bad as you say, they'll start showing up on ebay in the not too distant future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size Visiontech bar were you using? Perhaps going from a L to a M, a M to an S, or a S to an XS would solve the problem?

If that's not an option, then your bike may just simply be too long for you. (Although replacing bars is obviously cheaper than getting a new bike.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not go so far as to say the new Oval integrated bar is "junk". I think it has some excellent features and benefits such as price and weight. However, I did find that climbing out of the saddle causes the insides of my arms to hit the metal elbow pad supports. It hurts. I found the grip section a bit "non-ergo" also: Couldn't find my most comfortable position. They do have merit though. After trying several integrated bars I have settled on the Hed bar. My second choice would be Vision Tech.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
"One man's junk..." [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my Oval bars on Friday. The pads on these thing are worthless, thin and flimsy, but I've never really been satisfied with any of the stock pads that come with any of the aero bars. I used to have Cee Gees pads on my old Profile bars. They were great, thick and cushy. They took out all the bumps and were sooo comfortable. To replace the pads on the Oval bars I went to the computer store and bought a thick blue (it matches my bar tape) mouse pad from the dollar bin. Then, I cut out two pieces that were the same shape as the original pads, only I cut them I little bigger than the originals 'cause I like my pads to overhang the pad holders just a bit. After that, I peeled off from the original pads the soft backing that "sticks" to the velcro and glued them to my new blue mouse pad pieces using some rubber contact cement. They look really nice and feel even nicer.

I also plan to sand the anodized black off the bars and polish the aluminum, to get that "Bling, Bling" effect. Before I do that, I might weld some extentions onto the ends to lengthen them just a bit. But right now I like the minimalist bar end feeling. It's all about personal preference I guess. I like customizing (personalizing) my stuff anyway.

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: "One man's junk..." [E-Z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at these replacement pads and cups.

http://www.mdt-products.com/...mcups/cf_armcups.htm

http://www.mdt-products.com/...pads/tribar-pads.htm

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
E-Z i would not try to remove the anodizing,If they are really anodized,might be powder coated.Anodizing is a very hard but thin coating and without the correct stuff you will ruin the bars.randall in tally
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Careful, E-Z. When your bars break because they've been sufficiently weakened by the removal of metal and the heat generated in sanding, you will find that your lawsuit will get laughed out of court.

Seriously though sanding away the finish rates right up there with drilling out parts like we used to do way back in my early days. It looks cool at the time, but often leads to compromised parts that break. I once watched a guy snap off a drilled out Nouvo Record crank during a sprint. Not a pretty picture.
Quote Reply
Re: "One man's junk..." [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Careful, E-Z. When your bars break because they've been sufficiently weakened by the removal of metal and the heat generated in sanding, you will find that your lawsuit will get laughed out of court.

Mr. Tribriguy,

Don't get nervous. Have a nice glass of wine on my behalf. That should help. I really don't know what to make of your "prediction." I did not mean to summon any psychic-like tendencies that you may have. But as a "wise" man once said,

"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you cannot grow!"

Thanks for your concern. I think? Unsure

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply