Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Orca wetsuit: 3.8 or Predator. Which do I get ?
Quote | Reply
hi all

So after a bit more than 4 years, my current Orca 3.8 is about on it's death bed (all the thin panels fatigued / breaking up all over - shoulders, and upper back.
Lots of use year-round, so no quibbles. Not realistically repairable at a sensible price - and black witch only works so many times ! And I know its not going to last much longer (and I have some swim events coming up).

The question... do I replace with the same but a 2020 version ?
Or drop even more ££ and get the Pedator.
(£450 for the 3.8, best UK deal is £560 or more for the Predator - most sites more like £650).
Try-outs virtually impossible here. So going for another Orca in the same size so I know its got a great chance of being a good fit again.

Anyone using the Predator? How much more flexible ? And how well is it holding up ? How much more fragile ?

(I'm not a good enough swimmer for the Alpha- I appreciate the extra hip / leg bouyancy in the others.).

I'm using it regularly and for some longer swims - plenty each year at 4 or 5km. Avoiding indoor pools to even more at present (with few open anyway). Have a 5 mile and 7 mile swim coming up soon. Maybe longer next year too.

Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orca wetsuit: 3.8 or Predator. Which do I get ? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3.8, no question.

The Predator is appropriate if you're a great swimmer. So if you don't think you should be in the Alpha, you shouldn't be in the Predator either.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: New Orca wetsuit: 3.8 or Predator. Which do I get ? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much.
The order button is being pressed !
And the £130 or so not spent... is going to pay for another event.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orca wetsuit: 3.8 or Predator. Which do I get ? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting...I definitely wouldn't call myself a "great" swimmer, but I damn sure swim better in my Predator than I have in any other suit. I couldn't recommend it enough. Maybe I'll try the 3.8 next time!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: New Orca wetsuit: 3.8 or Predator. Which do I get ? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty much the whole bmc team athletes wear the 3.8 wetsuit after testing them all ....
so i guess its quite clear what you want given your describtion
i was a bit surprsied chris chose one but he then did say for shorter races he will another orca which makes sense as he has a good kick.
Quote Reply