Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New NormaTecs?
Quote | Reply
I've been seeing their FB/Twitter account posting some teasers. It looks to be a smaller control unit as well as a rebranding. Here is a pic from their Facebook page. Any insights?

http://imgur.com/663gGaY
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [chipnicodemus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is called Normatec Pulse. More advanced control panel or something. Maybe will also do what Compex does and double the price. ST had a banner ad showing it but it direct you to the normal page.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Last edited by: Tri Nut: Oct 6, 15 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the new unit going to be backwards compatible with the old legs?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on display at kona village race expo this week?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like a remote control to me. that is all.
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
Is the new unit going to be backwards compatible with the old legs?

I asked a Normatec rep at Ironman Louisville and he said they will not be backwards compatible. However, he couldn't really tell me what the difference was between the Pulse and the older unit. So, I'm not sure how informed he was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
going to their site it only shows the new pulse units, not the old tackle-box style with the air hoses. Interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually called them today...

1. Not backwards compatible. Cant use the same boots or hoses with new "head" unit.

2. Pulse and Pulse Pro... comparable to the MVP and MVP Pro of old.

3. Improvements... touch screen, smaller size, able to use for around 2 hours without being connected to AC power. They added a timer on the Pulse (MVP).

4. No change in the "massage" type compared to the old units.

5. They will continue to have parts available for the old units.
Last edited by: Donzo98: Oct 14, 15 21:01
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [edcook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NormacTec responded to me on FB and said that there was going to be an adapter and that they would be compatible.

No word on pricing...

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They got a lot of advertising time on the Kona live stream. (at least 1 commercial per break)

I was intrigued enough to look at the pricing.

Looked like about $1600 for the base (legs) package and about $500 for each additional area (hips or arms)

Seems very intriguing, i love the idea of recovering better/faster... but this seems expensive for someone really slow like me.

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I would never use that in public, it would be nice to come home to it after some hard training.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
While I would never use that in public, it would be nice to come home to it after some hard training.

I remember Rapp and Simon Whitfield mentioning there is more to gain from using them before rather than after a hard workout. I had a set for a while, I sold them, nothing that a good pair of compression tights won't do.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [skot123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think the pricing is essentially unchanged from the older style. I bought the older style mid-Summer, and they basically offered me the same discount as I could have gotten by using one of the discount codes from their sponsored athletes. I -think- it was around $1500US. But the really nice thing they did on top of that, was that they pre-paid all the shipping and import taxes for me to get it to Canada. That saved me an extra $300 (Can$). I thought that was pretty damn nice of them!!!

I've seen the pics of the new unit....given that the functionality is pretty much unchanged, I'm happy with my tackle box unit. :) I'm never really in a situation where I need to use it and don't have a power outlet handy.
Last edited by: gibson00: Oct 15, 15 17:35
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
HalfSpeed wrote:

I remember Rapp and Simon Whitfield mentioning there is more to gain from using them before rather than after a hard workout. I had a set for a while, I sold them, nothing that a good pair of compression tights won't do.

Nope. On the recovery side, it's more debatable. There's good evidence that compression garments help with both muscle function/soreness and blood markers for muscle damage based on a relatively wide range of studies. One of my projects this winter is to make people aware of the same data that's out there for recovery on NormaTec. There's not yet any studies comparing the two (that I'm aware of).

The big thing that NormaTec does - and this gets to what someone else posted about it being most effective BEFORE a workout - is that it stimulates nitric oxide production. Compression garments simply do not do this.

So yes, if you just want something to help you after a workout, a good pair of compression tights is good. IME, having used both good compression tights and the NormaTec, I *perceive* (FWIW) the NormaTec to be better, although it is notably more expensive. But there is a distinct difference in what the two do. And, the NormaTec can do a lot more.

I have the full study, but here is a a peer-reviewed study on this particular effect of the NormaTec boots - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/...13/EP085160/abstract

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Oct 19, 15 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
HalfSpeed wrote:

Who cares :)... they feel so good.

I bought mine here used on ST. I figured I would give them a try... and if I didn't like them I would just resell them. After having them for a month... my wife, daughter and I fight over them every night.
Last edited by: Donzo98: Oct 17, 15 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
NormacTec responded to me on FB and said that there was going to be an adapter and that they would be compatible.

No word on pricing...

Interesting... they told me they would not be backwards compatible.
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will say that the new boots are awesome. The foot is much improved. It inflates top/bottom (the seams are the side). So you don't get any pinching of your foot. It really massages the arch. I bet for folks with PF, the new boots will feel much better.

The portability of the new unit is really nice. But the new foot section of the new boots is really the best part for me. I guess I'd always just figured out a way to bring my NormaTec with me, since it was so important around a race. So I was just used to it. But if the idea of bringing yet another thing with you to a race was keeping you from buying the NormaTecs, then the portability is a huge positive.

EDIT: for clarity. some mistakes regarding internals.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Oct 19, 15 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
There's no reason they shouldn't be compatible with a simple adapter. The guts of the unit are the same.

BUT, I will say that the new boots are awesome. The foot is much improved. It inflates top/bottom (the seams are the side). So you don't get any pinching of your foot. It really massages the arch. I bet for folks with PF, the new boots will feel much better.

The portability of the new unit is nice. But the new foot section of the new boots is really the best part.

Don't tell me that... I was/am happy with what we have :) Here's my 14 year old... LOL.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jordan can I buy your old ones :)

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know uf the nitric oxide production is any greater than that gained from self massage / foam rolling?
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not aware of any direct comparisons, and couldn't find any when I searched, which is not really surprising. There's almost no way to introduce any sort of control in something as grounded in perception as self massage or foam rolling. What information I've seen out there that shows that things like foam rolling can stimulate NOx also supports the idea of this issue, as the studies have super high variance. It's pretty clear - with a super low p-value - that NormaTec stimulates NOx production as well as a bunch of other positives with regards to circulation/bloodflow. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25982469/

There's a reason that NormaTec has a patent on it's technology, specifically the pulsing action - the cells pressurize and release multiple times within each cycle. That's really what makes the difference - the pressure/release cycle within each cell. Could you mimic this with a foam roller or self massage? Maybe. But with what sort of consistency?

Beyond that, there's way more than just NOx involved in this. One of the best parts about NormaTec is that it's also relaxing. You put your boots on, sit on the couch, and play some Xbox, answer emails, whatever. Sure beats foam rolling in my experience from an enjoyment standpoint as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I'm not aware of any direct comparisons, and couldn't find any when I searched, which is not really surprising. There's almost no way to introduce any sort of control in something as grounded in perception as self massage or foam rolling. What information I've seen out there that shows that things like foam rolling can stimulate NOx also supports the idea of this issue, as the studies have super high variance. It's pretty clear - with a super low p-value - that NormaTec stimulates NOx production as well as a bunch of other positives with regards to circulation/bloodflow. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25982469/

There's a reason that NormaTec has a patent on it's technology, specifically the pulsing action - the cells pressurize and release multiple times within each cycle. That's really what makes the difference - the pressure/release cycle within each cell. Could you mimic this with a foam roller or self massage? Maybe. But with what sort of consistency?

Beyond that, there's way more than just NOx involved in this. One of the best parts about NormaTec is that it's also relaxing. You put your boots on, sit on the couch, and play some Xbox, answer emails, whatever. Sure beats foam rolling in my experience from an enjoyment standpoint as well.

I don't know, I think a well done TP roller session does more than what the boots can do on their own. I have both and agree with the Xbox example when vegging on the couch, but I find the boots are not a total replacement for a roller session.
Quote Reply
Re: New NormaTecs? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have something that works for you, that's awesome. Or, in your case, two things that work for you. The hard part for me trying to offer advice here is that I'm 99% sure that my experience with NormaTecs will be the same as yours. Our experiences with a TP roller, on the other hand, might be very different. I've certainly had a lot of success with TP stuff as well, though generally more for a specific issue. But I also know plenty of people who have struggled to see results with self-massage tools, whether TP or The Stick or whatever. Part of that is always the "you need to DO x." It's a lot easier to get people to just sit on the couch (maybe not triathletes). And the NormaTec is a much simpler device to direct people how to use.

The boots may not replace the a roller. But I also think that a roller can't replace the boots, which I think was the question here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar, is there a 2016 coupon code available for the Normatecs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
If you have something that works for you, that's awesome. Or, in your case, two things that work for you. The hard part for me trying to offer advice here is that I'm 99% sure that my experience with NormaTecs will be the same as yours. Our experiences with a TP roller, on the other hand, might be very different. I've certainly had a lot of success with TP stuff as well, though generally more for a specific issue. But I also know plenty of people who have struggled to see results with self-massage tools, whether TP or The Stick or whatever. Part of that is always the "you need to DO x." It's a lot easier to get people to just sit on the couch (maybe not triathletes). And the NormaTec is a much simpler device to direct people how to use.

The boots may not replace the a roller. But I also think that a roller can't replace the boots, which I think was the question here.

Curious for you what pressure setting you use. My current roommate has a pair and I have been using hers.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next