Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Mount Idea for Profile Design FC-25/35
Quote | Reply
I really like my PD FC-35 aero bottle, but since I bought my Cervelo P3 I’ve felt like it was too high. The stock 3T aerobars are 56mm inner diameter, so I can’t do the “flip the bracket” trick I’ve read here, because the top portion of the bottle won’t fit between the bars.

Anyway, the Garmin Mount felt like it was just too high. So this weekend I took off the wings on the side of the bracket and zip-tied the bracket straight to the bars...because the bracket is 56mm wide and fits perfectly. I ran the zip-ties on each side in opposite directions, to keep them from pulling the front up and apart. This has dropped the Mount down 30mm, and my Garmin now sits totally behind my hands and not above them.

I’ll try to upload a photo, but it’s telling me my photo is too big...

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Last edited by: David_Tris: Jul 1, 18 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: New Mount Idea for Profile Design FC-25/35 [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found this thread while fighting with the install of my FC-25 bottle this week, and figured I'd add a picture for anyone interested in either the 'bracket flip' or alternate (zip-tie) mounting method. Thanks to the OP for giving me a workable idea. I'm adding a photo comparing the available mounting options and showing the superiority of your zip-tie method.

I had a couple of unforeseen (by me) problems while trying to complete the mount installation:

1. My new Canyon Speedmax CF comes with PD 35a Subsonic brackets/extensions. They're really nice, but they're larger in diameter than the old standard 22.2mm extensions. (The extensions themselves are 22.2mm, but the bracket extends forward.. see pictures.) (Link to the specific PD bars, for anyone who may be interested: https://profile-design.com/...ts/subsonic-race-35a )
2. I didn't think my bars were "close", but I was right at the 80mm (center to center, based on the assumption of 22.2mm extensions) minimum width constraint for getting the mount and bottle to fit at all.

Problem #1 makes it impossible to use the "new" Aerodrink mount (the one without velcro, it's really nice and has hard arms that wrap all the way around the bar. Secured by screws. Lovely piece of kit.) unless it's mounted far enough forward to grab the 22.2mm extensions. (Which is really far forward.) The "old" Aerodrink mount (velcro) is flexible enough that it can be "convinced" to hold onto the larger diameter portion.

Problem #2 negates the effects of "flipping the bracket arms", because the bracket arms are nearly-vertical with close extensions. I tried, I measured, and it's hardly a millimeter of difference. If my bars were significantly wider (120mm center to center), however, this would have yielded a pretty decent gain.

I emailed Profile Design to see if there was another set of arms available for the mount (or another workable option), but never heard back. I sketched up a basic design for a pair of very short arms on a larger radius (to fit the larger diameter extensions), and if I have time I may 3D print a set to try out. Someday.

Alright, on to the pictures: First up is a set of four images comparing the mounting options I covered above. In order, top to bottom:
1. (Top). No mount installed, I just put the bottle directly onto the bars. This is the lowest, aft-most bottle position available without widening the bars. It doesn't get any better than this, but it also doesn't stay on.
2. (Next one down, top-middle). The zip-tie option. ~4mm taller than the no-mount (at most), much more secure, and my chosen mount.
3. (Next, bottom-middle). Old Aerodrink mount (velcro omitted for clarity). Tall.
4. (Bottom). Included "new" Aerodrink mount, on the extensions as far aft as it's possible to mount. Akin to carrying a new baby, catching a punt, or hugging a tree. Yikes.

Remaining picture shows my handiwork. I just pulled the arms off the mount and reinstalled the screws, then ran zipties around the screws and bars. I'm slightly OCD, so there's a layer of tape between the zipties and the bars to prevent/delay chafing damage.

I figured I'd append this to something existing rather than creating a new thread. Hope this helps someone down the road. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: New Mount Idea for Profile Design FC-25/35 [dehavilland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had issues when trying to fit a FC-35 to my wife's Felt IA16. Got rid of the nutrition storage (the Felt's CalPac2 does a much better job), and the 'electronics mount'. Having long legs but not too long torso/arms her extensions are rather short, making the FC-35 such a tight fit that it would potentially be rubbing her hands and also sitting so high that the cockpit got a bit claustrophobic.

I ended up mounting the bracket extensions to the mount and flipping it. Now the fit is a lot better, it's sitting where it should with enough space for her hands and a much cleaner look.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dehavilland wrote:
I emailed Profile Design to see if there was another set of arms available for the mount (or another workable option), but never heard back. I sketched up a basic design for a pair of very short arms on a larger radius (to fit the larger diameter extensions), and if I have time I may 3D print a set to try out. Someday.

Bumping up this comment..
Any answer from Profile Design?
Or any chance you found the courage to design a 3D printable piece? If not, I might give it a try.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New Mount Idea for Profile Design FC-25/35 [3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3672 wrote:
Any answer from Profile Design?

There is no mount designed to fit the FC systems to the Subsonic bracket. Nor is there any plan for one.
Quote Reply
Re: New Mount Idea for Profile Design FC-25/35 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update!
Too bad though.. I guess it's gonna be zip ties for now, until i find a bottle that fits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered running a set of MORF Tri-Fold bars with the bracket they offer for the Torhans Aero30?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3672 wrote:
Thanks for the update!
Too bad though.. I guess it's gonna be zip ties for now, until i find a bottle that fits.

Email me at yann@custombikexcessories.commwith some photos of the problem and let’s see if I can come up with a design.

Yann

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this back up, as I stumbled across the thread while looking at the FC35 and I also happen to have the PD Subsonic bars - thank you for the very nice writeup, dehavilland! Are you still rocking the zip ties or did you end up changing your approach?

@yannb - did you end up putting something together for this?
Quote Reply
Re: New Mount Idea for Profile Design FC-25/35 [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the old mount that used velcro would be better. Does anyone have an old FC35 mount with the velcro straps? I'd love to see if it will work.
Quote Reply