Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Member Intro: Crazy Experiment (Zero Triathlon Experience, so signed up for St. George Full Ironman)
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowtwitchers,

Just thought I'd post a short intro and say thanks for all the awesome motivation this crazy and amazing community provides. I look forward to participating and hopefully (some day) contributing. I've already learned so much from the collective wisdom on this forum, and look forward to learning more as I dive even deeper into the hobby.

The Vitals: 44yo male, 6'4" 195-ish, ultra-runner and marathoner (PR 3:13 2017). Several years of ultra running under my belt, including several 24 hour races (including World's Toughest Mudder 24 race 3x). Did a 100 miler in October (was on pace for a sub 24 finish but dnf'd at mile 76 with massive GI distress due to week-long antibiotic treatment leading up to race).

My pacer during the last two laps of my last ultra has done over 20 full ironmans, and finally convinced me it was time to give it a go, even though I am basically starting from scratch (effectively) on both the bike and the swim. Bike background is non-existent since 2002 (2x age group state x-country mountain biking champion in 2002, but nothing even remotely serious since), and I was a competitive swimmer for four years in high school (and literally no pool work since!). So, I know I got it in me...just need to put in the miles.

I always new this day would come, as I have always loved the idea of Ironmans, but I was putting it off given the constraints of a busy work/family/life schedule. However the 4 kiddos are getting older (they are now all in school finally, and two can drive themselves around), the wife has become much more understanding (and actually welcomes something "less extreme" than 24 hour or 100 mile ultra's), and so I think the time is right to jump in. Another big factor, for me is that I've never been crazy about logging lots of bike miles on the street (the law of averages and all that), especially in the Phoenix Metro area, but recent advances in indoor/smart trainers (and Netflix) have really changed my perception of what I can accomplish with mostly indoor riding.

So, I'm going to go for it. I got six months, and just started swimming and biking a week and a half ago. I think I can do this. Although some may question my decision to jump straight to 140.6, its a function of my slightly "off" personality. I'm just not motivated unless the goal is a little bit crazy and extreme. I'm also very "gritty" and competitive. To this day I've never done a 5k or 10k...my first race of any distance was a full marathon. I just don't think I could "get up" for an Olympic Distance or 70.3. Just love the crazy and extreme stuff too much.

Pool sessions are going great (I've done 4 sessions so far, 2,000 yards each in 200y intervals with a few 400's mixed in, averaging a slow 1:45 or so pace per 100), and I know I'll see big improvement if I can get to the pool 3-4x per week. The bike is going to be my biggest challenge. Got 4 15 milers under my belt but I'm slow (15.5 mph average on my s-works epic 29'r MTB). The Kickr arrives on Tuesday, and the new P-series should be here on Friday (gave up trying to find a used bike that fit my oddly proportioned frame (6'4" but short 32" inseam and alien-like long torso). That was a fun conversation explaining to the wife why I needed a $4,500 bike for my very first triathlon! But I figured I"m likely going to love this sport, wanted something with disk brakes so I could upgrade over time, and also wanted to make sure I was comfortable since I'll be spending so much time on the sucker.

Anyway, sorry for the long intro. You guys and gals are awesome. Please don't flame me if I ask too many stupid questions (I'll do my best to search in advance). I'm going to need all the help I can get!
Last edited by: ScottUltra: Dec 13, 19 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: New Member Intro: Crazy Experiment (Zero Triathlon Experience, so signed up for St. George Full Ironman) [ScottUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With your athletic experience I can assure you that you will be far from last place. Stay safe and injury free and don't forget to enjoy your training.
Quote Reply
Re: New Member Intro: Crazy Experiment (Zero Triathlon Experience, so signed up for St. George Full Ironman) [ScottUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cycle as much as you can - all the time ... you want to be comfortable in long distances on that saddle and your setup --

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1:45/100 for 2000 yards just learning to swim is very good

Good news bad news about the bike

Good news the more time in the saddle the faster youā€™ll get

Bad news about the bike the more time in the saddle the faster youā€™ll get šŸ˜€

Best of luck to you
Quote Reply
Re: New Member Intro: Crazy Experiment (Zero Triathlon Experience, so signed up for St. George Full Ironman) [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
With your athletic experience I can assure you that you will be far from last place. Stay safe and injury free and don't forget to enjoy your training.

Thank you. Not worried about coming in last...started shaving my legs last week so I should be goodšŸ˜
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll have a solid race with that kind of dedication and experience. Just gotta dust off the bike/swim fitness.

Also confirm your nutrition strategy. I would assume you would use the same one as you did for your ultras, but better to be safe then sorry.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Gonna be a fun journey. Ticked off 20 miles on the MTB last night at 15.7 mph average pace so I was happy about that, and just got in 2400 yards in the pool in alternating 200 and 400 intervals (1:44/100 pace). One thing about being a beginner is you get to log PR's all the time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my oddly proportioned frame (6'4" but short 32" inseam and alien-like long torso).

With those proportions you could become a real swimming phenom!!

For most people I would definitely recommend not starting with Ironman but given your extreme endurance experience and self-knowledge of what motivates you and your apparent love of long-duration suffering I'm not worried about you.

Best advice I can give is that having a good race and a good Ironman run is in large part about the bike. It's not about biking fast. It's about being able to bike 112 miles and feel totally fine and ready to run. That takes both hours on the bike, but also some high intensity intervals to help raise up that threshold. You need to be able to bike hard so you don't have to bike hard.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New Member Intro: Crazy Experiment (Zero Triathlon Experience, so signed up for St. George Full Ironman) [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When my brother toed the starting line of the IM Utah 140.6 in 2002 he had no previous experience in triathlons or in endurance sports. The weather conditions that day didn't allow the full race to be completed so no one got to complete 140.6 miles at that event. He go an entry into IM Wisconsin as a consolation for not getting to do 140.6 in Utah and completed it shortly after the IM Utah event. We was 22 years old when he did his IM races. I waited until I was 37 years old to do my first Triathlon. I considered doing a full 140.6 for my first race since my brother had done it but my goal was just to experience a triathlon to see what my brother and others I knew had experience and figured that 70.3 was long enough to get a taste of what a triathlon is. I had done two marathons but didn't have much more experience than my brother did with triathlons of endurance sports than my brother did. If you do the training are going to be be prepared. There is always the doubt in your head before you have actually done the full distance of weather you will be able to finish. There is not reason that you shouldn't be able to. After you finish once it is on longer a question of if you can complete the distance, but how fast you can complete the distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a lot of advice to give someone new to the sport, but one big thing that strikes me is that you are not building up to the distance. A lot of people want to go check off the bucket list itemā€”full 140.6. You probably should do a couple Oly or 70.3s beforehand. Running off the bike is much different than stand-alone marathon or ultra running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's fun to read about your background and desire to do an IM. Sounds like you'll do very well.

+1 on being on the bike as much as possible.
+1 on doing a 70.3 or a couple Olys.

I actually prefer running after the bike when training because my body is all warmed up and the endorphins have me in a good place - as long as I haven't trashed myself on the bike.

Good luck and best wishes.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: New Member Intro: Crazy Experiment (Zero Triathlon Experience, so signed up for St. George Full Ironman) [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advice. I actually plan to do a couple 70.3's in training, just not in a formal race environment, so I will at least have that under my belt. I also plan to do a bunch of "Bricking" after I gain some bike fitness (which is pretty non-existent at this point) after a solid month or two on the Kickr. I'm definitely not planning on doing this as a one-n-done. If that were the case I would have been perfectly happy plopping down 800 bucks for the used Felt or Ridley bikes that were "close" to fitting! If you need further proof I just bought tri shoes and got an IM tattoo on my calf (just kidding on the tattoo, but I did buy unused tri shoes off a guy on craigslist!). The main reason I think I'll be ok is because I have no problem logging long, boring miles (the main characteristic of ultramarathon training). It will be fun to see just how much fitness I can gain in six months! And the great part is, no expectations, no "I will be sad if I don't crack 12 hours," no feelings of "I failed" if I'm slower than I expect. I Just plan to push and train and see how far I can get in 6 months. I'm actually strongly considering signing up for IMAZ as well before it sells out, so that would give me yet another solid six month training block on top of the base I just built. I see bankruptcy in my future but it sure is fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a solid background in endurance sports like you have, you are half way there already. You will do just fine in St George. I'll be there for my 13th full IM...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looking forward to hearing about your progress. imagine, you'll get the fitness you need to do just fine. the other x factor you have that you'll need for full IM distance is the ability to keep going when it get's hard. there will always be those moments when you start doubting and negotiating with yourself. for me, it's about halfway thru the run. assume in your 24 hours races, you have experienced that a bunch. but also, nutrition is hugely important in IMs. make sure to practice that in your training. need to get those calories in on the bike. I have done St G half twice and signed up for full. it can be very hot out there, mid to high 80s and that can be hard to digest without running into GI issues. good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A decade ago while completing (note, that's not competing) in an IM distance race I caught up to a young guy who was running slower than I was walking. I'll talk to anyone, so we had a chat. He was 18 and doing his first triathlon. He had taken the position why muck about with the small stuff, just do it. No training. He finished. Admiral.

For you this isn't quite as big (or crazy) an experiment.

ps you might want to hang about and give us some advice on doing ultra distance running
(in my case anything over 6 miles).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you will do well coming from ultra running and also having previous swimming and biking experience. One thing to note, it's 5 months away, not 6 :)
Quote Reply
Re: New Member Intro: Crazy Experiment (Zero Triathlon Experience, so signed up for St. George Full Ironman) [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Running off the bike is much different than stand-alone marathon or ultra running.

Not really. For maybe 5mins it's a little different then it's completely normal. Only difference is you're running more fatigued, typically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Running off the bike is much different than stand-alone marathon or ultra running.

Yeah this is so true.

OP maybe some focused brick sessions (bike + run) would be beneficial - placed strategically in your training plan.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: New Member Intro: Crazy Experiment (Zero Triathlon Experience, so signed up for St. George Full Ironman) [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You suck. I've swam almost 200km this year and have inched my swim times from 2:08 per 100m to a tad under 2:00. You're starting at 1:45!

As many may have said, it's 80% mental and it sounds like you've got the mental side sorted.

All the best...

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: New Member Intro: Crazy Experiment (Zero Triathlon Experience, so signed up for St. George Full Ironman) [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
You suck. I've swam almost 200km this year and have inched my swim times from 2:08 per 100m to a tad under 2:00. You're starting at 1:45!

As many may have said, it's 80% mental and it sounds like you've got the mental side sorted.

All the best...

You are too kind. Iā€™ll try to remember this comment when Iā€™m struggling to crack 16mph average speed on the bike! Then again, I just bought a pair of Castelli tri shorts that have a scorpion on the leg so Iā€™m feeling pretty confident at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not too often someone takes up Ironman as a "less extreme" hobby. Good luck! Ride a lot, find a swim coach, and have fun.

See your bike fit. https://bikefitr.appspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Member Intro: Crazy Experiment (Zero Triathlon Experience, so signed up for St. George Full Ironman) [Stubob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of your biggest challenges will be your size, and I say that being roughly the same height and weight. Unless you get extreme with your fit, thereā€™s no way to overcome being a giant sail on the bike. Virtually no one on the pointy end of these things weighs over 170 pounds and thatā€™s not a coincidence.
Last edited by: Patrick E: Dec 15, 19 13:48
Quote Reply