â€śFor all my triathlon friends and connections near and far. Last week I was included in a global conference call that I was selected for with Ironman. The intent was to inform the list of coaches on the call and then have each of us disseminate the info as we are able. This call was to explain why transfers are offered for 2020 races when we all mostly know those will get canceled. And other details as to how they are trying to address the issues. Keep in mind, this is ever - evolving for them and unprecedented.
1) Displaced athletes are everywhere, Globally. It has been a huge undertaking to figure out how to handle this. Whether it feels this way or not, IM sees this as first priority.
2) The city or governing state agency has to pull the plug to enable Ironman to re - coop insurance on lost expenditures. If Ironman makes the call, they cannot re - coop monies spent.
3) Permitting is not complete for 2021 (usually starts after the race date passes for the next year), so a date cannot be published yet. By choosing a 2020 race still scheduled that will likely get canceled, you are essentially choosing it for 2021 unless by some stroke of a miracle the race gets pulled off.
4) There are still 18 races that remain on the 2020 schedule in the US. IM desperately wants to host a race, any race. Its dependent on each city/state. The current dates for TX and Utah races are still being viewed as "strong" possibilities, there are now 10 on their list they hope to hold.
5) Any races you choose to transfer to still on the 2020 scheduled if canceled will likely by the deferral choice for 2021 as a calendar placeholder.
6) Mexico has given government permission and Global IM says its a go as long as they get enough registrations to make it profitable. Keep in mind, other unforeseeable factors can happen ie hurricane. Australia is also trying very hard to make a few races happen. That does not take into context any travel restrictions to and from various countries. That is an ever evolving separate issue. Transfers are not allowed from one region to another because funds cannot be co-mingled. In other words, requesting transfer from a Canadian race cannot be granted for races in the US or Mexico etc.
7) Kona was postponed in Oct to Feb because of travel restrictions, but the most recent postponement was not due to travel. It was a financial decision as less than 500 athletes were registered by qualification and legacy slots combined. An Expo would not be allowed so it would be a huge financial loss. They plan to reveal a virtual format for the Kona Saturday (the original date), there will be a large pro showing. Stay tuned for more details.
Consider every angle and what makes the most sense for you regarding safety, training, family, finances, and mindset. Take a few days to think it over. I know it can be an emotional decision. Be patient. IM laid off 150 people globally and are down to essential only to off load some financial strain. The few remaining employees are doing the best they can. Donâ€™t shoot the messenger and remember honey attracts bees not vinegar.â€ť