Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin?
Quote | Reply
First all the bugs with antennas of the F5.
Bugs with the Vector3’s. Glad I don’t have them.
Now the F5 plus line up with asinine pricing and features nobody asked for.

Seriously, who asked for an O2 sat on a sport watch?
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my 935 has been good to me
Vector3 only the battery door.. new ones coming. Actually all drop out solved by a piece of electrical tape anyways.
Blood oxygen sensor.. considering I have a BSX insight.dont even mention LVL to me.... I want it.. $1100+ yeah pretty pricey.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re right they should stop rolling out new features. Better GPS, mapping and connectivity are all wins. This isn’t a watch marketed directly at triathletes. A built in pulse ox is awesome for high alpine climbing and mountaineering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Equate Garmin to Apple. They have a high end product, but you can also keep your 920 and be happy. Ive had zero issues with my 5x and 935. I want music and garminpay so I will be buying in.

But just like Apple, you need to keep upgrading to keep your value current. Otherwise the product is made with the quality to last a long time. The choice is yours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m happy with my 510 and my Fenix 3 Sapphire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin?

Not at all. I'm glad they keep pushing the limits. Honestly though I think I've settled on the perfect watch for me - the Garmin 645 (non-music). Looks great, perfect size and all the functionality I want/need.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have my Garmin 920xt. Hoping they’ll come out with a new version with same shape as 920xt. But I’ll stick with my 920xt for awhile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy with my 935, but still reckon the 920 was better. I just upgraded, because that's what I do :-)

It's the way of things to keep adding stuff to these watches that we don't need or even want. Isn't that called progress? There's a bit of me that misses the mobile phone that had some computing ability. Now I carry a computer in my pocket that makes the occasional phone call.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want a watch that has the following:

-Enough battery life for a IM
-Audible Hr alerts set for zones
-Tri specific timing
-Contactless charging
-wifi and blutooth that synchs with 3rd party apps like Strava
- power meter connectivity
-message alerts for sms and 3rd party apps like Viber and the ability to respond
-Swim lap counter and open water tracker

Does this exist?
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the bike arena Garmin have released the Edge 130 which is the cycling equivalent of ‘simple, modern, basic, everything you need and nothing you do not’

I’m not sure they’ll do a Tri equivalent though... running and cycling yes, but triathletes like to spend lots of money?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin... please put a steel (silver) crown on the 935 as an option already (like the 645). Take a look at your target market. Adults with jobs buy these things. All plastic watches are for kids.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost all the watches mentioned in this thread can do what you're asking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. 920 suits me fine. When mine dies I will just buy another.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. Love my 920, and I have no interest in paying MORE than the $225 I paid for this one. I saw 920xt batteries on EBay the other day. I figure when I can't get enough life out of this one...I'll buy one of those batteries and keep trucking.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
Almost all the watches mentioned in this thread can do what you're asking

Great thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
You’re right they should stop rolling out new features. Better GPS, mapping and connectivity are all wins. This isn’t a watch marketed directly at triathletes. A built in pulse ox is awesome for high alpine climbing and mountaineering.

Anyone have any ideas on how they measure the O2 in your blood from the skin level, i.e. w/o actually sticking a probe into a blood vessel???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably guess just like they do with Vo2 and wrist heart rate.

I'm happy with my 935 and was happy with my 910 until it filled up with water, won't buy another one until the 935 dies.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_oximetry

reflectance pulse ox...also see...limitations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 months out off warranty. My 935 freezes up every time in an open water. I am going back to 920.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:

Anyone have any ideas on how they measure the O2 in your blood from the skin level, i.e. w/o actually sticking a probe into a blood vessel???

Light source , light detector. And some signal processing. Same as optical HR. Edit: that's how clothespin on your finger O2 sat detectors work in hospitals.

They could have saved themselves a lot of R&D and simply added this to their code:

int random = rand();

If (random) printf ('99%') else printf ('100%');

And have the O2 sat bounce around between 99% and 100%. That's all it will ever do on a sportswatch….
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jun 18, 18 21:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Now the F5 plus line up with asinine pricing and features nobody asked for.

Seriously, who asked for an O2 sat on a sport watch?

Because triathletes like to spend an asinine amount of time measuring metrics that in all reality provide no value to improving their training.

Garmin is smart though, they know their market and what monetary value their consumers put in equipment and that those consumers care a lot about the 1,000 ways to measure a 5 mile run. <------ Somewhat pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have an Edge 1000 that has worked pretty much perfectly for 2 years other than the navigation getting a bit confused on out and back or multi-loop routes.

Have a Fenix 5 that has worked perfectly for 9 months.

Have an old Forerunner 410 that gave me 5 trouble free years before I upgraded to the Fenix and still works just fine.

I hear a lot about Garmin bugs and problems but in all honesty my experience has been pretty good, certainly as reliable as any other tech out there. Syncing occasionally is problematic and need to close and restart Garmin Connect, or turn Bluetooth off and on again on the phone, but I could say the same thing about pretty much all my Bluetooth devices.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
please put a steel (silver) crown on the 935 as an option already

Isn't that called a Fenix 5...?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Have an Edge 1000 that has worked pretty much perfectly for 2 years other than the navigation getting a bit confused on out and back or multi-loop routes.

Have a Fenix 5 that has worked perfectly for 9 months.

Have an old Forerunner 410 that gave me 5 trouble free years before I upgraded to the Fenix and still works just fine.

I hear a lot about Garmin bugs and problems but in all honesty my experience has been pretty good, certainly as reliable as any other tech out there. Syncing occasionally is problematic and need to close and restart Garmin Connect, or turn Bluetooth off and on again on the phone, but I could say the same thing about pretty much all my Bluetooth devices.

My 520 works great.
My Fenix3 crapped out, sent it in and they sent me a new one. That one froze out of warranty and I got a refurbished one for $100+. The 20 hour battery of that one lasted 9.5 hours in my IM (no I can’t finish faster!).
Got fed up with it and upgraded to F5. The optical HR starts well but constantly locks to my cadence. On the bike it reads 115-120 beats when I am doing threshold and I know it’s 160+. Can’t connect my Wahoo Tickr chest strap to it because it has a stupid antenna. My powermeter keeps dropping in and out. Elevation is constantly at 23000 feet and I’m in Florida.

I am not the only one with these issues. And I paid $500 for a watch that doesn’t connect to anything. So they fix it and this new one they say but it’s 600-750$ and they have no plan for those of us who have crap F5’s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about fed up. I had a 920 that I upgraded to an F5 which works perfectly for me. Also have a 520 which works well. Battery life not great but I wonder if that’s becuase of the Varia Radar?

The one thing I’m slightly peeved about is the new F5 coming out so soon after I bought mine - yes it’s over a year since I got my F5. That said the F5 plus doesn’t have anything I’m particularly interested in - maybe music, but as I don’t have a computer I don’t know how I’d get music into it.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply

Prev Next