Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Focus Izalco Max Disc
Quote | Reply
https://www.focus-bikes.com/int/new-izalco-max

Looks like a Ventum NS1, but better integration of di2, better fork and chainstay design, more aero, and cheaper.

I want one.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Nov 29, 18 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: New Focus Izalco Max Disc [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guys at my local bike shop said to wait for this one and they have some pretty cool brands also including Pinarello and Cannondale. I like it super integrated and still simple compared to many of the new designs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks really nice. Will there be an caliper-brake version?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does look nice. I like what they did with the stem. I wonder if they mean “28mm tire” or “28mm measured”.
Quote Reply
Re: New Focus Izalco Max Disc [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Looks really nice. Will there be an caliper-brake version?

Disc only.
Quote Reply
Re: New Focus Izalco Max Disc [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
It does look nice. I like what they did with the stem. I wonder if they mean “28mm tire” or “28mm measured”.

The test bike video they did with 28C Conti 4000's... which measure something like 31mm on most rims. So this bike has plenty of clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: New Focus Izalco Max Disc [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the geometry. 78mm BB and 72 degree head tube.
Not a crit bike, but perfect for long days in the saddle and rougher roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

The test bike video they did with 28C Conti 4000's... which measure something like 31mm on most rims. So this bike has plenty of clearance.

Nice catch. I hope they offer this bike with the new R7000 hydraulic groupset. That would be a sweet bike :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

I am curious what determines whether it is a good crit bike. It looks like it has a 5mm longer wheelbase (size M) than the previous version, which I suppose could be part of it. Is it a function of a higher chance of pedal strikes in turns due to a lower (by 8mm) bottom bracket? Or, spitballing here, is the compensation for a steeper headtube by increasing the fork offset going to make the bike more stable and less wont to turn?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
too bad focus has pulled out of the US
Quote Reply
Re: New Focus Izalco Max Disc [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:

Is there confirmation of this?

I live in Canada, I think we're good here.

Besides you could always buy from an online Euro retailer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only from my local dealer. I can't say regarding all of north america or canada. a few random tidbits:

1. Speculation: the current parent company of focus and cervelo didn't see the need to duplicate efforts in the US
2. Focus dropped their team aspire/jeremy powers sponsorship
3. I recall reading that someone from focus expected to see their product line shift entirely to e-bikes within 5(?) years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

I had similar thoughts. That BB drop is going to catch a lot of people off-guard and make the frame have a higher effective stack (granted by only 8-10mm) relative to its piers. Still, I'm digging the geometry. It looks like they're offering an R7000 build but it doesn't come with the fancy stem :(
Quote Reply
Re: New Focus Izalco Max Disc [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I had similar thoughts. That BB drop is going to catch a lot of people off-guard and make the frame have a higher effective stack (granted by only 8-10mm) relative to its piers. Still, I'm digging the geometry. It looks like they're offering an R7000 build but it doesn't come with the fancy stem :(

I have a Focux Mares CX and I can buy all the assorted parts out of Germany pretty easily online.
I'm sure you be able to buy the fancy stem so that one can tweak fit after initial purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: New Focus Izalco Max Disc [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:

Damnit... just talked to my industry source in Canada. Focus North America is done. Have to order from overseas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty bike. I test rode a Focus about 8 years ago. I didn't like it, but no longer remember why. Not a brand I'd buy without a test ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven’t compared any numbers, but looks strikingly similar to the BMC Teammachine.
Quote Reply
Re: New Focus Izalco Max Disc [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Haven’t compared any numbers, but looks strikingly similar to the BMC Teammachine.

Similar aesthetic, sure.
But the tubes shapes and fork are more refined on the Focus, more tire clearance and better geometry(IMO).
And with BMC only offers two build options vs 6 + FS only on the Focus.

My LBS sells the BMC and I'd like to give them my business but I just can't choose Teammachine over this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
MKirk wrote:

Similar aesthetic, sure.
But the tubes shapes and fork are more refined on the Focus, more tire clearance and better geometry(IMO).
And with BMC only offers two build options vs 6 + FS only on the Focus.

My LBS sells the BMC and I'd like to give them my business but I just can't choose Teammachine over this.

Teammachine vs. Focus Max.. round tube vs mostly aero. ofcourse the tube shapes are more refined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just noticed that the least expensive complete bike comes with 45mm carbon wheels... for ~$2,800. If we ever were uncertain as to "why" there's been a push toward disc brakes, this is it.
Quote Reply