Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Felt [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Man, that thing IS ugly. Will be interesting to see who goes out to get one since I'd hope they wouldn't produce something that looks like that unless it tests well.

Replying to another poster...
no it DOES NOT look like the old specialized transition. Don't insult that bike! Haha.

Ha, yeah I know, fond memories of the spesh transition which shouldn't be sullied by comparison with this foul lovechild of bike, hyena and that traitor from 300.

Just the curve along the upper part of the top tube (top fuselage?) that caught my eye.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fugly? Hells yes.

But it looks like it has some potential to be pretty fast. First Felt bike in probably a decade that made me think hmmmmm it might have some top tier potential.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Fugly? Hells yes.

But it looks like it has some potential to be pretty fast. First Felt bike in probably a decade that made me think hmmmmm it might have some top tier potential.

Is that really anything new, for any tri bike produced in the past 10 years? Thought it was already shown that aero-wise, all these frames are pretty much splitting hairs.

Functionally I'm sure its fine, like every other frame. Its just ugly as hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the IA was quite quick
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Is that really anything new, for any tri bike produced in the past 10 years? Thought it was already shown that aero-wise, all these frames are pretty much splitting hairs.

Functionally I'm sure its fine, like every other frame. .

Better integration across many brands than the 4-5 years that have passed since we did the aeroshoot out. Often those brands found 5-8watts of speed then killed 3-5 of them with disc brakes.

Some brands moved forward more than they moved back.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Fugly? Hells yes.

Is the current IA not top tier? Rinny and Ryf won a bunch of titles on one.

Though as someone else noted - arenā€™t we already approaching the asymptote of peak aero?
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pray it looks better in person......I have an IA-10 from 2015 and I love that bike. I was looking at new bikes and I really like the PX series (which tbh grew on me) this bike ...I can't..I just can't....

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [robbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robbie wrote:
Everything old is new again

QR 1999 Redstone

be nice! it was my best effort at the time ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front end looks less like a transition, and more like a beach cruiser to me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, since it's out there...

This bike was supposed to be released in 2020 as a 2021 model. I believe it will be officially released at Kona in October. I've heard, though could be mistaken, that the camel hump is, well, a camel's hump...integrated hydration. Don't forget, Ryf is an Xlab athlete, so would be using the Torpedo anyway. Interesting that there are two aerobar pedestals instead of one monopost. I guess it was about 2 years ago that I first heard of this bike, and was told there was quite a bit of tilt adjustment built in. We'll see, though I notice Daniella has some tilt now.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:

Though as someone else noted - arenā€™t we already approaching the asymptote of peak aero?

1. Jan and Ryf could win a race on any bike. Doesn't mean it's faster than something else. They would've won by a larger margin on a PX. Their wins just mean the bike isn't a parachute.

2. Peak aero means gains are hard but losses are easy. Brands can still very easily make slow bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
blueapplepaste wrote:

1. Jan and Ryf could win a race on any bike. Doesn't mean it's faster than something else. They would've won by a larger margin on a PX. Their wins just mean the bike isn't a parachute.

2. Peak aero means gains are hard but losses are easy. Brands can still very easily make slow bikes.

Donā€™t disagree with #1. Was more just illustrating that the current IA isnā€™t a parachute.

And agreed. Which means that frame is probably pretty fast. Iā€™m just not convinced itā€™s more than marginally faster, than at all.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny how the default response to anything slightly different in the triathlon world is 'Omg that thing is ugly'..

Thank goodness the rest of the world isn't so boring
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
Man, that thing IS ugly. Will be interesting to see who goes out to get one since I'd hope they wouldn't produce something that looks like that unless it tests well.

no it DOES NOT look like the old specialized transition. Don't insult that bike! Haha.

Ha, yeah I know, fond memories of the spesh transition which shouldn't be sullied by comparison with this foul lovechild of bike, hyena and that traitor from 300.

Just the curve along the upper part of the top tube (top fuselage?) that caught my eye.

Cheers, Rich.

My goodness, they sure plastered their name all over that bike.

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

Cheers, Rich.

My goodness, they sure plastered their name all over that bike.

It was cool back in the day to remove the IZ on your helmet so it said ā€œSpecial Edā€

Fun times! I always marvel (shakes head) at the things I used to find amusing.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Aug 9, 21 21:21
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, seems a bit inspired by the kids chopper bike with fuel tank

Eroc43 wrote:
The front end looks less like a transition, and more like a beach cruiser to me.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today I got to see the pictures amd to be honest it looks much better then at it did at first glance at pics with Ryf.
Might be quite fast since we did some tests on closing the gap between top tube and riders body last year when I was working for Ku Cycle. Iā€™m not sure if the camel hump is still hydration, will hear tomorrow. On the pics I got to see it looked like a storage unit niw.

I think this is one of those bikes that you have to see more and need to grow on a lot of people, like what happened with the P3X/PX.P5X models.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Now we know why Rinny left Felt.......

Josh Amberger left too. Felt is F*ct.
Their sale will plunge and I bet other bike manufacturers are like ā€˜Hell yeah!!ā€™ when they saw this bike. Itā€™s one of the ugliest out there. Companies learn hard way. For example, BMW is not selling ones with Hitler mustache front end. Peopleā€™s money goes somewhere else, not to you. Companies make stupid decisions and this is a big one.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt Rinny and Josh ā€˜leftā€™ Feltā€¦..I think it is Felt that chose to part from them:-).

Really, this nike has to grow on you. I have seen pics today, different paint jobs and actually looks awesome.
And your reaction was as we saw many off when the P5X was released and now we see quite a bit of those P5X/P3X/PX in transition areas.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Funny how the default response to anything slightly different in the triathlon world is 'Omg that thing is ugly'..

Thank goodness the rest of the world isn't so boring
Agreed, although the rest of the world is sometimes just as boring....sometimes.
To be honest, a good percentage of the time, after these initial "Ugh, it's so fugly!" responses as people get used to an appearance, their views change. That's the problem with fashion - it's rooted in fickle subjectivity and consensus without basis. Not a good place to find objective improvements.
More often than not elegant functionality is where enduring "beauty" is born. When the aesthetics are not the result of some functional purpose, they tend not to age so well.

I don't see anything terribly offensive about this bike. From an aesthetic point of view, I would rather the top of the top tube were aligned with the rear wheel fairing to produce a sweeping line across the top of the bike from front to back, interrupted only by the seat tube, however, I would not put form ahead of function, and if the structure and/or aerodynamics are better as shown, then so be it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perception is also based on retail price.

I am a P3X owner. It wasn't on my radar and didn't really appeal looks wise until it was reduced by 30% at my local shop. I now love it. It's a phenomenal bike and I appreciate the design that went into it, and it only ever gets compliments at races.

If Felt undercut some of the other top brands in price then it will be a lot more appealing to a lot of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a elderly Felt DA and love it but I have to say if someone gave me one of those I would literally just give it back.
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joss1965 wrote:
I own a elderly Felt DA and love it but I have to say if someone gave me one of those I would literally just give it back.

If someone gave you one of this new bike?
Why?

And why do you love the DA?
Last edited by: Ai_1: Aug 31, 21 5:57
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm wondering whether the polarising looks are specific to ryf's smaller size.
Braden Currie is no giant but his doesn't look much different. on the whole though i think a bit more normal version of the PXs, whatever you think of them...

this shot also clarifies that the camel's hump is just that with a straw visible. i wouldn't rule it off my list based on the little we know, though that huge seatpost looks like it would make for a rough ride, especially compared to the shiv disc which looks much like the tarmac seatpost

Quote Reply

Prev Next