Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires....
Quote | Reply
Suprised I didn’t see this mentioned already.

https://bikerumor.com/...ls-on-arenberg-pave/

Hunt was doing tests on these last year and have some videos somewhere at the tunnel...and now look to be releasing soon. Aero wheels built around 28mm tires . Obviously no numbers yet so everything is just marketing right now. Hunt wheels seem to get nothing but excellent reviews, heck I plan on getting a set for my gravel bike soon.
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:

Hunt was doing tests on these last year and have some videos somewhere at the tunnel...and now look to be releasing soon. Aero wheels built around 28mm tires . Obviously no numbers yet so everything is just marketing right now. Hunt wheels seem to get nothing but excellent reviews, heck I plan on getting a set for my gravel bike soon.

Is there a need for 28mm tires on a tri bike? If a 25mm tire is matched to a proper width wheel, it should be more aero and still quite comfy, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hunt wheels seem to get nothing but excellent reviews, heck I plan on getting a set for my gravel bike soon.

https://www.hambini.com/...hich-one-is-fastest/
Would disagree!

• The FLO cycling and Hunt wheels performed badly, they appear to have been designed by individuals with a limited understanding of aerodynamics of rotating objects. As such they generated unnecessary separation and could not deal with the separated airflow

Last edited by: mikemelbrooks: Apr 9, 19 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they did rather poorly on someone's else aero report as well... cant recall who did it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Quote:
Hunt wheels seem to get nothing but excellent reviews, heck I plan on getting a set for my gravel bike soon.

Would disagree!

• The FLO cycling and Hunt wheels performed badly, they appear to have been designed by individuals with a limited understanding of aerodynamics of rotating objects. As such they generated unnecessary separation and could not deal with the separated airflow

In all fairness, I'm not sure Hambini is the best source for accurate data.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:

34mm wide at their widest point. Holy guacamole!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They originally tried designing for a 28mm tire and ended up making a wheel that was very fast with a 25mm tire (not quite as fast as the Enve; but very close according to their testing). Guess this is the next attempt.

https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/...ad-benchmark-results

I love seeing them start to design and develop their own wheels and be very open about their process and results.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Last edited by: JourneyToGoPro: Apr 10, 19 17:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Quote:

Would disagree!

This joker was already debunked on here as well as other bike forums. Please refrain from spreading nonsense without first researching it's accuracy.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JourneyToGoPro wrote:
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Quote:

Would disagree!

This joker was already debunked on here as well as other bike forums. Please refrain from spreading nonsense without first researching it's accuracy.

To be fair maybe he hasn't seen the thread:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...l_Shootout_P6710888/

The amount of vitriol, lack of any evidence, deflection etc is astounding.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am confused now. Should I be looking at 28mm wide wheels or not????

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:

You should be. But ultimately you should buy what you think looks good. If you plan to run wider tires then wider wheels will likely be faster. However, it all depends on what discipline, goals, level comfort, the specific tire you plan to run (size and brand), and internal width is probably just as important if not more.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
earthling wrote:

You should be. But ultimately you should buy what you think looks good. If you plan to run wider tires then wider wheels will likely be faster. However, it all depends on what discipline, goals, level comfort, the specific tire you plan to run (size and brand), and internal width is probably just as important if not more.

How can you say he should be without knowing what he's racing? If he's racing 70.3 Galveston should he be on 28mm tires and wide wheels?

I would say if he's racing on cobbles or gravel racing, he should look into wheels this wide but for road tri, no way.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
How can you say he should be without knowing what he's racing? If he's racing 70.3 Galveston should he be on 28mm tires and wide wheels?

I would say if he's racing on cobbles or gravel racing, he should look into wheels this wide but for road tri, no way.

Are we talking internal or external? FWIW, I was referring to external width of which wheels have been in the 28mm range for nearly a decade (e.g. 2010 and later Stingers, 2010ish 303s, first gen Bonty D3 was/is ~27mm, and many more)....All these wheels, and current clinchers in these same widths, pair well with 23mm tires, which is about as narrow a tire that is easily obtainable.

Now, if were talking internal, and the Hunts in particular paired with a 28mm Pro One, then I stand by this bit:

LAI wrote:
If you plan to run wider tires then wider wheels will likely be faster. However, it all depends on what discipline, goals, level comfort, the specific tire you plan to run (size and brand), and internal width is probably just as important if not more.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Apr 11, 19 7:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These wheels are 35mm wide...

Edit: I guess he asked about wheels that are 28mm wide. But even those are generally fastest with 25 or 23 mm tires. I've never seen data that shows 28mm tires on any wheel is a fast choice for road tri.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Apr 11, 19 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

RowToTri wrote:

earthling wrote:

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Apr 11, 19 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha... Yeah just realized that and edited my post.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Edit: I guess he asked about wheels that are 28mm wide. But even those are generally fastest with 25 or 23 mm tires. I've never seen data that shows 28mm tires on any wheel is a fast choice for road tri.

The confusing bit on that is are we talking measured or labeled? My Eastons are 19mmm internal and 28mm external. With Pro Ones mounted up the 23 comes in at almost 26mm and the 25 at 28mm on the nose.

ETA: FWIW I stick with as narrow as possible for my races (I am a TT guy) and use the wider stuff for training. I'm ~135lbs in race shape so 23mm has plenty of volume to provide me "race" comfort.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Apr 11, 19 7:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, when I talk about tire width I mean labeled, unless I specifically note measured.

On my rovals, I've only ever raced once with 25cc tires (gp4000sii) and they measured a bit over 28mm on those wheels and my buddy said it looked like I had motorcycle wheels on my TT bike. I normally race on 23s. I have not measured them but their widest point is where they meet the rim.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Quote:

Would disagree!

In all fairness, I'm not sure Hambini is the best source for accurate data.

Coming from a company who designs their wheels without including the spokes in CFD....

HELLO HAMBINI FANS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [hambini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hambini wrote:
Coming from a company who designs their wheels without including the spokes in CFD....

bruh
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [hambini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Digging up a 3 month old thread to throw shade?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
The slow play was well done. Chapeau!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Quote:

Would disagree!

I believe these were the previous generation hunt wheels, which I have a feeling used Lightbicycle rims.
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

The slow play was well done. Chapeau!

Thankyou.

HELLO HAMBINI FANS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: New Fastest Aero Disc wheels for wider tires.... [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Quote:

Would disagree!

I believe these were the previous generation hunt wheels, which I have a feeling used Lightbicycle rims.

I always suspected that as well fwiw.
Quote Reply

Prev Next