Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Engeland races opening?
Quote | Reply
I've received some spam from Millennium running about races opening soon. It looks like they're starting to run a series of 5Ks limited to 100 participants http://www.millenniumrunning.com/exclusive
Also they claim this Oly on Sep,19 http://www.millenniumrunning.com/sunapeetri is happening.

I'm thinking about registering for the olympic one, but now I wonder if I can compete against rona.

Do any other NE slowtwitchers consider it?
Quote Reply
Re: New Engeland races opening? [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for a half ironman in New Hampshire that is scheduled to take place August 30th. We got an email a week or so ago telling us that as of now, things are scheduled to go ahead as planned, though there will be some changes because of the virus, although not sure exactly what changes. It was to be a pretty small race anyway, limited to 150 people, and probably not a ton of on course support so I doubt they will have to change too much aside maybe from more spaced transition, maybe smaller swim waves and probably something with post-race food, not really sure. I do think given how things are going at least for the moment in the area that it is likely these races will happen. New Hampshire especially has remained pretty low recently in terms of new cases and not too many people hospitalized. Most things are opening.

I'm also signed up for the other race you mentioned in September. Maybe I'm naive but I do think I'll feel safe competing at that point. I'm not going to go touching everyone and everything but being outside in the open air a relatively safe distance from people? At races that are likely to hover around 100-ish participants? I will take that chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fellow New Englander here, was looking forward to a full race season but obviously that won't be the case this year.

I had created a whole calendar of events in the area and had been trying to keep up with cancellations or postponements.

Here's what I have as of today, but take the info below with a grain of salt!

As to your original question, I think a lot of it will come down to what individual towns are willing to allow from a permitting perspective. For example, Rhode Island has already announced statewide that events will NOT be happening this year.

In theory, by August we may be in a position where state guidance in Massachusetts/NH/CT would allow tris to occur, but the RD's still need to get permits in order and such for any town the event crosses into. I am remaining hopeful, especially for some of the September events!

Clubs/Affiliations: The Rippers / Charles River Wheelers / Cambridge Sports Union
Last edited by: adoucett: Jun 17, 20 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: New Engeland races opening? [adoucett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice table! Thank you for compiling and sharing!

What does Green background mean? Happening with higher probability?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing much from a logic perspective- just that those were dates with relatively recent announcements, and also ones I was also somewhat interested in.

Being based in Boston, I am really hoping Harvest Tri will be a go for its new date, its a really nice race venue.

Clubs/Affiliations: The Rippers / Charles River Wheelers / Cambridge Sports Union
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the same e-mail and just registered for the sunappee event. It's the air travel, expos,starting corrals, and people more likely to race sick 'cause Ironman that seem like the biggest problems with large events . . . I'd hope/think that this event can avoid all those issues.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Maine still planning to require a 14 day quarantine through August for non-residents?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adoucett wrote:
Fellow New Englander here, was looking forward to a full race season but obviously that won't be the case this year.

I had created a whole calendar of events in the area and had been trying to keep up with cancellations or postponements.

As to your original question, I think a lot of it will come down to what individual towns are willing to allow from a permitting perspective. For example, Rhode Island has already announced statewide that events will NOT be happening this year.

In theory, by August we may be in a position where state guidance in Massachusetts/NH/CT would allow tris to occur, but the RD's still need to get permits in order and such for any town the event crosses into. I am remaining hopeful, especially for some of the September events!

Last weekend of August Cazenovia Triathlon (Cazenovia NY) is still open/taking registrations.

Fly-by-night Duathlon (Watkins Glen NY) - Postponed from May to Labor Day weekend and still on
Quote Reply
Re: New Engeland races opening? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Is Maine still planning to require a 14 day quarantine through August for non-residents?

My roommate is registered for this event, as such I have been following the situation there closely,

The official word from Iron Man is they are "moving forward" with the event. Meanwhile, people on their Facebook page have been complaining about having no place to stay as their rentals are getting cancelled and bookings are impossible due to the aforementioned order. I think something will have to topple eventually...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx, yeah prob a no go for me.
I'd need the NB/Maine border to be open, and need no quarantine for Maine, or coming back into Canada. I'd say the chances of all those things happening are pretty slim. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adoucett wrote:

Sunken Island is cancelled. Goddard Stomp in August and Newport Tri in Sept are not showing cancelled yet.

I'm hoping the Patriot half in Sept goes forward. Giving me something to keep training for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, great table!

I was signed up for Harvest and White Mountains, might try to race the new Harvest date if it goes forward. Just hoping we'll be racing by Nordic season!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adoucett wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

My roommate is registered for this event, as such I have been following the situation there closely,

The official word from Iron Man is they are "moving forward" with the event. Meanwhile, people on their Facebook page have been complaining about having no place to stay as their rentals are getting cancelled and bookings are impossible due to the aforementioned order. I think something will have to topple eventually...

I'm still training for the Sea 2 Summit, a small event of about 100 people that starts in Berwick ME and is scheduled for July 25th. As of a week and a half ago they were still lacking permits from the state park at the summit of Mt. Washington and the state of Maine re the size of permitted gatherings. Not to mention the out of state quarantine. Since it's a small event it would be feasible to move into August which is probably the best chance for it to happen, July sounds very iffy.

Hoping it will happen as I already deferred from last year due to injury and don't want to keep this on the docket for another year! Am also signed up for the Patriot half and if I can get these two races done I'll be happy.
Quote Reply
Re: New Engeland races opening? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They apparently cancelled the Mt Washington hill climb race already, so I’d be doubtful they get their permit.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
I'm still training for the Sea 2 Summit, a small event of about 100 people that starts in Berwick ME and is scheduled for July 25th. As of a week and a half ago they were still lacking permits from the state park at the summit of Mt. Washington and the state of Maine re the size of permitted gatherings. Not to mention the out of state quarantine. Since it's a small event it would be feasible to move into August which is probably the best chance for it to happen, July sounds very iffy.

Hoping it will happen as I already deferred from last year due to injury and don't want to keep this on the docket for another year! Am also signed up for the Patriot half and if I can get these two races done I'll be happy.

Same here. Probably going to defer to next year. Even if they get all the permits I feel like the experience won’t be the same and I’d rather do it under more normal circumstances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adoucett wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

I'm registered for 70.3 Maine and Patriot Half, which is now scheduled for six days after the Maine race. Pretty unlikely they will happen, but would be kind of fun to to do two half races six days apart.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mt Washington autoroad climb was just canceled. Being in CT I have 2 races I’m still hanging on for hope. And of course I transferred to AC 70.3 in mid September. There has to be some race that happens.
Last edited by: AndrewL: Jun 17, 20 18:01
Quote Reply
Re: New Engeland races opening? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2011, I did a 69.1 (swim cancelled 70.3) & 70.3 7 days apart.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just registered as well, I know Millennium Running was very involved with the NH government on outlining a plan to allow for racing to start back up, so I feel confident that this race will be a go.....May be a chilly race start however being that late in September. Pretty excited now, I have been pretty lacking in motivation to train without having any races on the books......This is the spark I need to kick start my training.
Quote Reply
Re: New Engeland races opening? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
They apparently cancelled the Mt Washington hill climb race already, so I’d be doubtful they get their permit.

Possibly. The RD said a couple of weeks ago that the word from state officials was, "Seems like it will be fine, but we’ll let you know". But with a very small event that could be deferred easily into August, I still think there's a reasonable chance it will happen, although maybe I'm dreaming. I give it 50/50 chance. Which is probably about the same chance I give Patriot in September.
Quote Reply
Re: New Engeland races opening? [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you know of anything in CT still happening in the sprint distance?
Thanks and good luck with your schedule holding up

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cant help but laugh because I generated a very similar looking table.

You can add Duxbury triathlon in Duxbury, MA to the list. It is currently scheduled 9/26. The race director runs a masters swim I participate in, and he is submitting the safety plan this week. He says it has 50/50 odds of it actually happening.
Quote Reply
Re: New Engeland races opening? [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m following this one closely.

Hopkinsvineyardtri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
graniteman in wolfeboro, nh aug 15th is cancelled

Hello Past Participants,
Unfortunately last night the difficult decision to cancel this years Granite Man Triathlon was made. The Dow family holds a special place in the hearts of this department and community. This is our departments favorite event each year and we are crushed that we have to cancel. Several factors went into this decision and many different people weighed in including selectmen, the town health officer, fire and police department.
We had many responses to our survey regarding the safety of participants and volunteers especially during the swim and bike section of the course. The new guidelines released by the state included many things that we simply did not feel that we could realistically do for an event like Granite Man without drastic changes that would not provide an enjoyable experience.
For the handful of you who already registered we will process your refunds in the next few days.
We will miss you all this year and plan to bring the event back next year bigger and better than ever!
Best Wishes,
Wolfeboro Parks and Recreation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping this event happens but not holding my breath...

http://www.dwftriathlon.org/WebSite/Main.htm

Typically ~60 participants in a bike-kayak-run event, slated for mid-September. With no swim, people could wear masks the whole time (or at least for the mass bike start and in transitions).
Quote Reply

Prev Next