Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Cycling Shoes Fit
Quote | Reply
My Shimano TR31 has finally bit the dust. It was the first and only shoe I've ever ridden since I started tri in 2011. I've now tried multiple shoes to try to replace it:
  • Fizik R4
  • S-Works Trivent
  • LG Tri Air Lite
  • Shimano TR9

I can't get comfortable in any of them and feel the only way to know is to ride, which I imagine kills the return possibility since I'd have to put the cleats on.

I've tried multiple sizes in each both with and without socks. They are either too tight or uncomfortable, etc.

I'm sure I'm being too picky comparing them to my old, comfortable Shimanos.

How do you all decide when the fit is good enough and trust the shoe will ultimately feel good when you ride?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Shoes Fit [JFHJR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. What shoe size are you? You may be able to find some NOS of your Tr31 online.

2. What specifically doesn't work for the shoes you've tried. This can help you identify the features you need (and those you need to avoid), which can help you find shoes that have a higher probability of working out.

To use myself as an example; I have flat feet, so arches molded into the sole are a non-starter (LG carbon and Bont are out, but Sidi, LG nylon, and Specialized work). I also have a narrow heel, so Sidi works but Shimano and the older Specialized shoes (before they narrowed the heel) slip.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
I had similar problems to you when I replaced by 6 year old cycling shoes. Just couldn't get comfortable in any others or was experiencing pain deep into a ride. There's definitely a 'bedding in' period and some shoes became more comfortable over time.

What helped me the most was getting some wide fit lake shoes. I never thought I have wide feet, but the moment I put them on, they were super comfortable and have just got better.
I would also get rid of the stock insole that comes with the shoes, and get your own more supported ones.

BW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the off chance you take a size 45, I have a couple of NOS pairs of shimano shoes I'll be selling. One is TR-60, the other TR-52, both carbon soles.
I do find the newer TR-9 shoes fit tighter and narrower, don't work for me either.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Shoes Fit [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
1. What shoe size are you? You may be able to find some NOS of your Tr31 online.

2. What specifically doesn't work for the shoes you've tried. This can help you identify the features you need (and those you need to avoid), which can help you find shoes that have a higher probability of working out.

To use myself as an example; I have flat feet, so arches molded into the sole are a non-starter (LG carbon and Bont are out, but Sidi, LG nylon, and Specialized work). I also have a narrow heel, so Sidi works but Shimano and the older Specialized shoes (before they narrowed the heel) slip.

Thanks. I am a 42 in my current Shimanos. In the shoes I listed, I've tried 42, 42.5, and 43.

I've never been a finicky shoe guy. Normal running shoe, no wide versions, normal arches. On the new ones I've tried, I'm just hesitant the perceived tightness will not go away.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Shoes Fit [shammad10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shammad10 wrote:
Hi there,
I had similar problems to you when I replaced by 6 year old cycling shoes. Just couldn't get comfortable in any others or was experiencing pain deep into a ride. There's definitely a 'bedding in' period and some shoes became more comfortable over time.

What helped me the most was getting some wide fit lake shoes. I never thought I have wide feet, but the moment I put them on, they were super comfortable and have just got better.
I would also get rid of the stock insole that comes with the shoes, and get your own more supported ones.

BW

Thanks, I'll check out those options.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Shoes Fit [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
On the off chance you take a size 45, I have a couple of NOS pairs of shimano shoes I'll be selling. One is TR-60, the other TR-52, both carbon soles.
I do find the newer TR-9 shoes fit tighter and narrower, don't work for me either.

Bummer, I'm a 42. I found the same as you that the new Shimanos were tighter and narrower. That's what sent me down this path. I went right for the Shimanos since they served me so well and when they didn't feel good, I went searching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

Bummer, I'm a 42. I found the same as you that the new Shimanos were tighter and narrower. That's what sent me down this path. I went right for the Shimanos since they served me so well and when they didn't feel good, I went searching.
I've always had big issues with pain in my outer midfoot ('styloid' according to local podiatrist). And now have a bunion developing as well. I'm currently on a very well worn in pair of TR-60's with a modified insole to give my heel some lift which helps with the outer foot pain, and a hole cut out in the leather for my bunion....
I did try the custom route, and it was a very very expensive failure. But I still need shoes that work, so trying again with another vendor that I have confidence in (R7)..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Thanks. I am a 42 in my current Shimanos. In the shoes I listed, I've tried 42, 42.5, and 43.

I've never been a finicky shoe guy. Normal running shoe, no wide versions, normal arches. On the new ones I've tried, I'm just hesitant the perceived tightness will not go away.

One option: https://www.ebay.com/...ain-42-/224079008518

I have a pair of the Lake CX330C high-volume shoes in a 42 (ridden 3 times...high volume didn't work for me); they are speedplay-specific soles though (4-bolt). Be glad to send them over to you to try if you want to cover shipping. If they work, we can figure out a fair price, if not just send them back.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jul 24, 20 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Shoes Fit [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

One option: https://www.ebay.com/...ain-42-/224079008518

I have a pair of the Lake CX330C high-volume shoes in a 42 (ridden 3 times...high volume didn't work for me); they are speedplay-specific soles though (4-bolt). Be glad to send them over to you to try if you want to cover shipping. If they work, we can figure out a fair price, if not just send them back.

Thanks for the offer. I just ordered Pearl's Tri Fly. If they don't work, I'll take you up on this.
Quote Reply