Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Crr roller data [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
But they are fat so I'd run Attacks front and rear. Turn them backwards.

Say what? Backwards?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone use the gp4000s II in a 20mm yet? I have one and a supersonic...debating which one to put on for a rough road racine 70.3 in July.
Quote Reply
Re: New Crr roller data [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some retailers are advertising the Attack/Force "ii" (as in version #2). Per Wiggle.com's description of the "ii":

Quote:
Updated for 2013, with an advanced BlackChili compound and reduced weight, our Vectran and Black Chili technologies have been radically applied to this uncompromising race tire set.

@rruff, do you know which version was used to gather the data?

@GreatScott, by "backwards", I think the idea is to mount an Attack on the rear, but with the rotation arrow facing the opposite direction as the front Attack, mimic'ing the Force's tread pattern:

Quote Reply
Re: New Crr roller data [415brian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it, thanks.

Now I'm just trying to understand the benefits of running the Attack in back. Won't the wider Force have lower Crr, with the aero penalty offset by being back in the wash?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: New Crr roller data [415brian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine are pre II. I couldn't find anything on Conti's site about what might have changed... they don't even list them. Doubt the new ones are any better honestly.

Attacks are probably more aero if installed backwards, meaning that side grooves at the top of the wheel point towards the rear rather than front. That's based on Swiss Side's testing.
Quote Reply
Re: New Crr roller data [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is the line where the better aero trumps the tiny Crr increase of a smaller tire? Don't know, but I suspect the Attack is already "too big". You can run fat tires if you want... but I won't be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree the Force is fat. Nice fast rolling tire, bit of a plusher ride than the GP4000s, but rubs on the chain stay of my S2 when hammering around corners. Now I use GPS4000s back and Attack on the front. The Attack blends very smoothly with my narrow front wheel. Reckon it would blend well on my hed3 too, haven't had chance to try will when the Bont aero wears out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take that advice! How do wide rims affect your perspective on fat tires? For example, the 24.4mm Flo 60/90. Based on this and related threads, I was thinking the 22mm Attack and 24mm Force would be a nice fit. Now I'm thinking Attack/Attack or Atttack/GP 4000s.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On wide rims the clincher tires grow in width. The Force will be ~26mm wide on that rim, the Attack ~24mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this happens a lot on this site....Newbie looking for recommendations on what tire to use....but here we go!

Did sprint triathlons last year and doing Olympics this year leading up to the Rev3 Cedar Point Half in September.

I have a Trek Madone 3.1 and rode on the stock tires Bontrager R1 (700x23c) in 2012. Went into Bike Authority in Cleveland in the Spring of 2013 looking for new tires. They gave me the Vittoria Rubino Pro (Non-Slick) 700x23c and I used those during the 2013 triathlon season.

Stumbled on to this site to find that the Rubino Pros are probably not what I should be riding on, even though I was happy with the price tag at the time.

Looking for an upgrade in the $60 to $80 per tire range. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any feeling on how the Attack/Force would pair up with Enve 6.7s? My "windtunnel eyeball" makes me think the Attack "looked" too narrow for that wider front rim. **disclaimer I a novice on this stuff**. Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: New Crr roller data [jmt8345] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what you think there is about a narrow tire that would be detrimental to aero? I'd probably run 20mm Supersonics on those rims... but that's just me. If you think you'll be hitting potholes and rocks and stuff, then a bigger tire is warranted... but not for aerodynamics.
Quote Reply
Re: New Crr roller data [Grux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From everything I've seen Conti pretty much owns the market if you want fast tires with decent durability. They are usually cheapest from UK sites, like Ribble and Wiggle. The GP4000S 23 was $36 on Ribble for instance. And get Vittoria latex tubes (<$10) while you are at it. And make sure you install them right so you don't kill yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: New Crr roller data [jmt8345] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmt8345 wrote:
Any feeling on how the Attack/Force would pair up with Enve 6.7s? My "windtunnel eyeball" makes me think the Attack "looked" too narrow for that wider front rim. **disclaimer I a novice on this stuff**. Thanks,

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, like I indicated I am total aero novice so all input is apprecaited.
Quote Reply
Re: New Crr roller data [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I'll bet they didn't turn the Attack backwards... should have helped the high-yaw numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny I just ordered two GP4KS from wiggle as well as some latex tubes. Curious what you mean by installing right to not kill yourself. I've never ridden latex, well at least on a bike.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: New Crr roller data [Grux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a GP4000s from Amazon last week. Got it for 44.95 with free shipping. Had it in 3 days. I've seen them cheaper on some UK sites but the fast shipping sealed it for me.

Of note the description on the site was for a GP 4000s and I received the updated GP 4000s II. Not sure they're different except for some graphics.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: New Crr roller data [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you get tube pinched under the bead, instead of experiencing an immediate failure it can push the tire off a few hundred miles later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh shit. Lots of powder and care I guess.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they are colored tubes, so you can do your bead seat check on both sides of tires and if you don't see the latex tube, you are good. if you do, work it I such that you dont
Quote Reply
Re: New Crr roller data [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to order the GP4000S today on Amazon. Looking forward to trying them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't remember the last time I even needed to unpinch a tube during installation... been many years anyway.

Powder tire and tube both, wipe off excess.
Inflate tube just enough to hold shape.
Install one tire bead.
Stick valve in wheel and then the rest of tube... seat it fully and evenly onto the rim with no twists, stretches, or bulges.
Push valve away from rim tape a little and seat the next bead at that point.
Work the bead around both sides, ensuring that it is in the center of the rim bed. Pull it down with your hands to stretch it.
If you can't get the last bit on by hand and you are worried about pinching the tube with a lever, use a Koolstop Bead Jack.
Check for a pinched tube.
Press on tire at the valve to ensure that it is against the rim tape when you inflate. If you don't then the tube might wrap under itself at the valve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
How do wide rims affect your perspective on fat tires? For example, the 24.4mm Flo 60/90. Based on this and related threads, I was thinking the 22mm Attack and 24mm Force would be a nice fit. Now I'm thinking Attack/Attack or Atttack/GP 4000s.

Scott

rruff wrote:
On wide rims the clincher tires grow in width. The Force will be ~26mm wide on that rim, the Attack ~24mm.

Picked up some calipers today and measured the Force at 27mm and Attack at 25mm (twice). Both at 100 psi on a Flo 60/90. That Attack measurement surprised me as it is quite different than the 22mm spec.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
How do wide rims affect your perspective on fat tires? For example, the 24.4mm Flo 60/90. Based on this and related threads, I was thinking the 22mm Attack and 24mm Force would be a nice fit. Now I'm thinking Attack/Attack or Atttack/GP 4000s.

Scott

rruff wrote:

Picked up some calipers today and measured the Force at 27mm and Attack at 25mm (twice). Both at 100 psi on a Flo 60/90. That Attack measurement surprised me as it is quite different than the 22mm spec.

That is because you are measuring on wide rim wheels versus a standard rim.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next