the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:
As interested as I've been in this bike, I'm having trouble getting past some of the verbiage describing it. "42 grams faster..." When did weight become a measurement of speed? If the reverse is true, could I be 5 mph lighter? Ugh.

Um, that refers to grams of drag - nothing to do with weight. They mentioned it was equivalent to about 5.5 watts.

-Eric

Um, I understand that. I quoted directly from the article. If it had said grams of drag, fine. It said grams faster. Um, grams are not a measurement of speed.

Great! So, given that you already know what it means, whence the difficulty in parsing which grams they meant? I mean, I noticed that as well, and it seemed mildly sloppy language, sure, but it took a fraction of a second for me, and now, seems it took about the same amount of time for YOU to understand precisely what they meant. So.... again... whence the trouble?

-Eric

No, I believe I understand what they meant.

IMO, it's more than a bit sloppy. It's pure marketing drivel.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
To calibrate y'all on the "cost" of brake cable housing, here's a little demo fixture I took some pictures of at the Win Tunnel a few weeks ago. These 2 objects have the same drag. The small cyclinder is the same outer diameter as a piece of cable housing.

Just sayin'...

That is an impressive-looking little model, but I think it would be even more informative if absolute values for CdA were provided. Doing so would help demonstrate that the real story here isn't how much drag the cylinder generates*, but how little the airfoil does.

*length 0.05 m x diameter 0.005 m = frontal area 0.00025 m^2 x Cd of cylinder 1.2 = CdA of 0.0003 m^2
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Did nobody else notice that on page 10 of the white paper they list the ISO 4210 tire clearance as 38mm?!

Is it just me, or is anyone else amused at the fact that according to the pics in all of the review articles that all came out today, apparently all the bikes at the intro event had the bar tops taped?

So much for all that work that went into reshaping the bar. How many grams (of drag) does that "give back" <LOL>

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's also a good "retort" to those who don't believe that the drag from a front derailleur hanger can be > the drag from the entire downtube ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
It's also a good "retort" to those who don't believe that the drag from a front derailleur hanger can be > the drag from the entire downtube ;-)

You mean that the drag from the entire downtube can be < the drag from a front derailleur hanger. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can remember a journalist having problems to hold a handlebar without tape on the tops and therefore gave a bad review [lol] ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

You mean that the drag from the entire downtube can be < the drag from a front derailleur hanger. ;)

It's all about perspective :-)

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
I can remember a journalist having problems to hold a handlebar without tape on the tops and therefore gave a bad review [lol] ..

But, when they tape them, the bar sections get too large...and the "journalists" STILL complain :-/

Don't these people wear gloves??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't there any tubed scientific study about aero drag in grams of gloves on journalists own hands in windy tunnels compared to real world facts .. ??

edit: the color (of gloves hopefully doesn't effect drag physically ..)

edit-edit:: irony is a big trap for true cluelessness ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Oct 2, 18 11:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I noticed that. Kind of a cheap way to get reviewers to call your bike “comfortable”. I like the tire clearance we’re seeing out of these disc brake bikes. The idea of training on a 32 and racing on a 23 is very appealing to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Yeah I noticed that. Kind of a cheap way to get reviewers to call your bike “comfortable”. I like the tire clearance we’re seeing out of these disc brake bikes. The idea of training on a 32 and racing on a 23 is very appealing to me.

Hmmm, tires measuring 30-32mm across?...my Stinner clears those with <gasp> rim brakes. How is that possible?? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve eyed your steed many-a-time now and contemplated putting a set of drop bar MORF aero bars on it with SRAM hydro rim brakes. Alas, I can’t find anywhere where I can actually see one in person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I’ve eyed your steed many-a-time now and contemplated putting a set of drop bar MORF aero bars on it with SRAM hydro rim brakes. Alas, I can’t find anywhere where I can actually see one in person.

What do you need to see? Let me know and I'll see if I can get a pic for you...

Or, is it you want to "feel" them first? Lever feel up until pad engagement is the same as the disc versions (smooth, and stays that way over time). Statically (bike not moving) the pressure on the lever when the pads engage won't feel as firm as the disc version...but, when actually moving, that's not so much the case.

As you could probably guess, I'm not a big fan of the "see how brakes feel by just squeezing the lever with the bike stationary" test...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Hmmm, tires measuring 30-32mm across?...my Stinner clears those with <gasp> rim brakes. How is that possible?? ;-)

And the 38 mm clearance for this S5 is no different than the improved clearance that the 2018 R3 and R5 got across both rim and disc brake versions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was referring to the Orbea Ordu frame. They’re like unicorns on the east coast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this mean you'd have to recable the bike every time you want to raise or lower the handelbars a bit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I was referring to the Orbea Ordu frame. They’re like unicorns on the east coast.

Not following...I thought you were referring to the SRAM hydro brakes...

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Does this mean you'd have to recable the bike every time you want to raise or lower the handelbars a bit?

No, the spacers slip around the cables. They are not constrained by steerer tube or headset compression so it's pretty versatile for a non standard setup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Not following...I thought you were referring to the SRAM hydro brakes...

To recap: ever since you've posted pictures of your custom Stinner I've contemplated building up an Obrea Ordu with the Sram Hydror Brakes/Levers with the idea being that I could train on relatively large, comfy tires and race on something skinny and fast. Not sure what clearance is like out back but check out the front (below). In the case of the MORF bars, there's a new version coming out where you can remove the drops while leaving the hoods in place. One could potentially go from a drop bar road bike with cushy tires for training and group rides to a respectable TT bike with a simple wheel swap and a couple of quick turns of an Allen key.

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
rubik wrote:

No, the spacers slip around the cables. They are not constrained by steerer tube or headset compression so it's pretty versatile for a non standard setup

That's pretty slick. Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And only 5.5 saves watts from old S5 out of the box to new S5 as engineered with new stem etc isn’t all that impressive; tells me with a better stem and brakes on old S5 may be faster. Begs the question, why is the new version only 5.5 watts faster despite the all the design changes....because it is disc brake?? Or Is the old S5 basically at peak aero??
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes .. the S5 2011 was basically peak aero for a road frame .. the S5 2015 for a road bike .. and the S5 2019 is peak aero for a disc brake road bike .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Quoted for truth. This bike is as fast as its predecessor, and no faster. Just like the P5-X...and the P5. Which is one reason why I am still on a P4.

But mostly because you gave in to the peer pressure to be an unrelenting fanboy.

kileyay wrote:
Weren't you the one complaining about how an ee brake does not provide sufficient stopping power for someone your size?

That problem has become worse. I now outmass you by <100lbs. Every (aero or lightweight) brake other than Campagnolo that I've tried has been unfortunate (test rides on Shimano dual pivot have been fine too). I'd class the discs as pretty similar to eebrakes - I'm descending slower because I can't slow as quickly into corners. Note that my preconception was the opposite (for discs) so I started out riding hard and had a couple of scares.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks cool.
Is that "stem" largely motivated by the need for integrated cables without tight corners? Or is it actually an aerodynamic stiffness thing?

In any case: It reminds me a lot of what Simplon has done with its "Pride":

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply

Prev Next