Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Cervélo Áspero
Quote | Reply
Cervélo goes full gravel with new Áspero. Have to say, looks pretty appealing, with decent price points.

(Surprised no thread on this yet; BryanD, where are you?)
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes me really regret my C5...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This might be the best looking bike released this year. The dark/light teal should be a complete build...but it looks fantastic in all three colors.

And, given today's prices, not outrageously spendy. I'm thinking of the mid-tier right now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
Cervélo goes full gravel with new Áspero. Have to say, looks pretty appealing, with decent price points.

Very solid looking option. Could definitely be a swiss army knife type bike. 42mm chainstays and proper BB height for 28-30mm tires make this a very road race capable bike.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:

Drinking coffee and reading your thread :)

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 18, 19 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$2800 for an Apex version (vs $2500 for the frameset), that's very tempting just to try it out, and slowly upgrade.
Last edited by: dalava: Jul 18, 19 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I’ve been wanting to pull the trigger on an Open UP but I may have to give this a full look first. Wish they had teal in their he Ultegra build. Reminds me of the Sagan S Works paint schemes. Bummed they copied Cannondale with no downtube logo though :(

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that caught me by surprise. Looks really nice. Not sure what the point is of having both the nearly-identical "Ultegra RX" and "GRX" build levels, though.

Interesting that across size spectrum, frame stack is identical to the R3/S3, while reach is 10mm longer. Shorter stems spec'ed, perhaps? Geometry is certainly "racier" than the C-series.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jul 18, 19 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a New Bike Year for me, and I was contemplating going in this direction - get one bike that with a switch of wheels and/or tires, and can do EVERYTHING from the Thursday Night Club/World Championships Ride, the odd Gran Fondo, and take it also on gravel and light trail use.

Bikes I was looking at - 3T Exploro, Open, and now this!

Good time to buy a bike!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the black plastic on the top tube near the stem simply a cover for cable routing? Or is it designed for adding a toptube bag like the Exploro is designed for?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Is the black plastic on the top tube near the stem simply a cover for cable routing? Or is it designed for adding a toptube bag like the Exploro is designed for?

Looks like a bag mount. Grab from the Cervelo promo video:

BTW, that promo video is pretty nicely done.

Last edited by: gary p: Jul 18, 19 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the look, but this doesn't seem very differentiated vs. the Diverge, Revolt, Checkpoint etc. Maybe Cervelo's more of a cult brand for some people. Also, clearance for 42s is a hair skimpy these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I didnt already have an Ibis Hakka MX this bike definitely would have been added to my list for consideration. It looks good at a decent price. I wont be surprised if I start seeing a bunch of these on the trails real soon.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You still on the black on white R3?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
I like the look, but this doesn't seem very differentiated vs. the Diverge, Revolt, Checkpoint etc. Maybe Cervelo's more of a cult brand for some people. Also, clearance for 42s is a hair skimpy these days.

It's longer and lower than all those.

As for tires, you can run 49c 650b's. Room for anything bigger than a 42c 700c would have meant compromising the geometry/handling objectives. 42c seems more than enough clearance for a bike billing itself as a "gravel race bike." Of the bikes you mention, only the Revolt has nominal clearance for anything bigger (700 x 45).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
hiro11 wrote:

It's longer and lower than all those.

As for tires, you can run 49c 650b's. Room for anything bigger than a 42c 700c would have meant compromising the geometry/handling objectives. 42c seems more than enough clearance for a bike billing itself as a "gravel race bike." Of the bikes you mention, only the Revolt has nominal clearance for anything bigger (700 x 45).
Good points. I guess this is at the very racy end of the gravel spectrum. Still, it's getting to be that buyers are splitting hairs when comparing these bikes. Evreyone is offering something.

BTW, the Checkpoint is advertised as clearing 45s at 700c but can definitely handle some bigger (labeled) tires. That bike has tons of room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
Good points. I guess this is at the very racy end of the gravel spectrum. Still, it's getting to be that buyers are splitting hairs when comparing these bikes. Evreyone is offering something.

BTW, the Checkpoint is advertised as clearing 45s at 700c but can definitely handle some bigger (labeled) tires. That bike has tons of room.

Mea Culpa, my source was incorrect on the Checkpoint. You are correct.

Chainstay length vs tire clearance is a dance they all have to do. The bigger tire you want to clear, the longer you have to make those stays, and the less sharp the handling. Cervelo naturally chose to hang their hat on the "racy" end of the spectrum, which meant keeping the chainstays relatively short, and, therefore, limiting ultimate tire clearance.

Last edited by: gary p: Jul 18, 19 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You still on the black on white R3?

Mostly white with black logos accents.

Yes.

Rode 110K on Monday this week - 50K of it on a gravel rail trail and some other gravel roads - not super technical gravel - really nice gravel for the most part - better then some of the paved roads in our area!! - <iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/...947863&width=500" width="500" height="724" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Not sure what the point is of having both the nearly-identical "Ultegra RX" and "GRX" build levels, though.

I've since read that the GRX build isn't available at launch, suggesting the Ultegra RX build is probably just a temporary placeholder in the lineup. That makes a lot more sense than building these two nearly identical variants side by side.

Last edited by: gary p: Jul 18, 19 12:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo designed this to be a gravel race bike hence the reason why there are no extra mounts. They have also optimized the geometry across all sizes. If you look at the geometry chart for the Aspero the trail is the same across all sizes which means that the size 48 should handle the same as the 58. They do this by using three fork offsets across the sizes and changing the head tube angle on the smaller sizes. But trail changes with tire size so the created the "Trailmixer" on the fork so that the trail stays the same if you are using 700x35 or 650x45 tires. If you look at the geometry of the Checkpoint you will see that all sizes use the same fork offset and therefore the trail changes as you go up in size. That means the smaller sizes will handle very differently then the larger sizes and when you change tire size that will also effect the handling.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
duncan wrote:

Very solid looking option. Could definitely be a swiss army knife type bike. 42mm chainstays and proper BB height for 28-30mm tires make this a very road race capable bike.

+1. I’m digging the geometry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Love the commercial!

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+++ for the advert

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1, its a good looking bike.

I don't know if i'd ever get a gravel bike, but if I did it would either be this or the Pinarello Grevil. And at that point, it would probably be the Cervélo considering the Grevil frameset is $1,000 more expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
such an underrated bike, but it just didn't do what O.P.E.N. did. Then the paint was completely uninspired. It became the Neither/Nor bike of the brand

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next