Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Central Florida Swim Training Center
Quote | Reply
We are getting a kick-ass training center in my town. I was onsite today and the construction looks huge. There are a couple concepts on the website, and looking at the features, it looks like we might be getting some competitive races coming into town. Seating for over 2000 spectators, RV hookups and more. Very exciting!

https://floridafast.com/

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Central Florida Swim Training Center [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My hometown (Ocala)! I still have family there, though I’m living just north of Tampa now so may have swing up there and check it out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gorgeous! Looks like it will be pretty amazing.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
We are getting a kick-ass training center in my town. I was onsite today and the construction looks huge. There are a couple concepts on the website, and looking at the features, it looks like we might be getting some competitive races coming into town. Seating for over 2000 spectators, RV hookups and more. Very exciting!

https://floridafast.com/

Looks like and IMG for swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t call Ocala the “heart of Central Florida” (uh... Orlando?) but cool none the less. Not too far from Santos. Looks like I’ll be taking weekend trips to Ocala for training in the future!
Quote Reply
Re: New Central Florida Swim Training Center [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would definitely say it's closer to "heart" than dirty Orlando, but yeah, Orlando is bigger and more well known. The State is growing Marion County with a lot of funding. Large distribution centers are coming in, Chewys, Autozone, FedEx and now Amazon amung others. We also have this jewel, https://worldequestriancenter.com/ocala-fl/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks awesome. Will definitely make the trip up from Tampa when it’s done to check it out. Add it to the MTB playground that Ocala is already!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The outdoor pool needs more deck space. The RV space thing is a cool idea. Every pool facility should have a smoothie bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there really a demand for a facility like this in Ocala?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Central Florida Swim Training Center [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would hope they have done a detailed feasibility study prior to breaking ground. I often wonder if some of these pools get built just because some key decision maker has a kid on the local swim team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

In Ocala? No. Definitely not. That said, Ocala is in an interesting position with regards to Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville so I could see regional meets being held there (but then again... why not just hold them in Orlando to begin with?). Also, land in Ocala is really, really, really cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: New Central Florida Swim Training Center [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
stevej wrote:

In Ocala? No. Definitely not. That said, Ocala is in an interesting position with regards to Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville so I could see regional meets being held there (but then again... why not just hold them in Orlando to begin with?). Also, land in Ocala is really, really, really cheap.

Good points, but man I try to avoid traveling anywhere near Orlando as its a crap hole of congestion. I'm N Tampa area and the I4 and Orlando driving is bananas. Tampa sucks also but my closest buddy of 25 years, who I often train with, is in the Orlando area and we prob don't get together enough because of the agony of driving in FL.

Ocala does seem odd but maybe its a move towards being more significant?

Now if FL would just get their act together and add another Interstate running north south, and maybe another two interstates running east west we can finally get somewhere easy around here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this all stemmed from the local College kicking out the swim club and filling in the pool (closing next year). A couple horse rich locals, (Horse Capital of the World here) who grew up in the program, got together and donated the money to build a new center. The city is helping a little but not much. Ocala Aquatics does a lot for the community and UF has been swimming here since Covid shut their pool down on campus. I've seen a couple Olympians swimming here as well. Being Centrally located, yes it makes sense. The "make or break" will be membership costs. Although we have a lot of rich horse money, the majority of people don't make a lot here. The biggest income for Ocala Aquatics is the kids safety/swim team. Classes sell out in hours. Watching the kids swim is like watching a crazy cult program. It's run very well and so methodical. Coach Sue is the wicked witch and I would never want to get on her badside. No bullhorn needed there but the kids are awesome. Bill Vargo takes over once the kids get a certain speed/technical ability. Anybody with drive can leave this program and swim in College. They also run a Master's program. We have one girl, Elise Bauer, who just qualified for the US Olympic trials. As for my old slow ass, I'm just excited for a meter pool and the possibilities this might bring to our town.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info and local perspective. I can see the attraction it will bring to swimming world (the entire state as well as outside the state - regional meets (USS and high school), national level - grand prix series, etc). I'll be interested to see how the everyday running the business goes (mon - fri) with locals.

I too would be excited if this was coming to my area in florida.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Central Florida Swim Training Center [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScoutMac187 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
stevej wrote:

Now if FL would just get their act together and add another Interstate running north south, and maybe another two interstates running east west we can finally get somewhere easy around here.

No interstate, but more tollway will do the same thing. The Suncoast Parkway is expanding north (Parkway 2, Phase 1 under construction) and is expected to eventually reach the Florida/Georgia border. I've seen snipe signs protesting it as far north as I-10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the approximate address?
Quote Reply
Re: New Central Florida Swim Training Center [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mentioned Horse money. The proposal went through horse land and it was quickly shot down and killed by people far richer than the cities. I'll believe it when I see it happen. I'm in agreement for it to happen. We have guard rails smashed and people killed, in our 10 mile segment, because of congestion on the Interstate delivering product South. Two interstate arteries is not enough for Florida.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orlando traffic should change drastically (for the better) in about 18 months when the I4 expansion and 417 bypass are complete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks very nice. I hope it gets built. We had a similar situation in Jacksonville. UNF closed their Olympic indoor pool and converted it to a basketball court about 4-5 years ago. A local group tried to build a new indoor Olympic pool but could never get the project funded and built. Another group tried and also has been unable to get traction. This is in a city of 1.2m.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear. Will this be a true Olympic class 50M pool, or a cost saving 50M? Of course nothing wrong with a budget 50M pool, but I was just curious.
Last edited by: NealH: Nov 24, 20 16:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScoutMac187 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
stevej wrote:

Good points, but man I try to avoid traveling anywhere near Orlando as its a crap hole of congestion. I'm N Tampa area and the I4 and Orlando driving is bananas. Tampa sucks also but my closest buddy of 25 years, who I often train with, is in the Orlando area and we prob don't get together enough because of the agony of driving in FL.

Ocala does seem odd but maybe its a move towards being more significant?

Have you see they are putting in a toll road alongside I4 from Orlando to Daytona?
Quote Reply
Re: New Central Florida Swim Training Center [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not aware of the difference but with the professionalism of this team, I would lean towards which ever is true to the spirit of swimming.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be the reason for some of the boom. Forbes listed Ocala as one of the top cities for business. Ocala has also made the Top 10 in Forbes in the past.

https://www.forbes.com/places/fl/ocala/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate websites that are all flash and no information.

Where are you guys seeing that it is in Ocala? I don't see an address or a city, just "Central Florida."

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: New Central Florida Swim Training Center [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's about 2-3 miles off I-75, exit 350 in Ocala. Across from the Entrance to The Ocala Sports Complex (address below)

3500 SW 67th Ave, Ocala, FL 34474

Quote Reply

Prev Next