Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Canyon on their website [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what do you mean by 16 bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [stetri99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2016 model year bikes - if you go to tri then follow link to model finder no tri bikes are currently listed - they said they'd be available to order in Dec
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [pad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any updates on prices?
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [triguy119] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy119 wrote:
any updates on prices?

It's driving me crazy too. If there's an Ultegra version of this bike at $4,999, I'm all in.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing I've seen was on the Speedmax review on Tririg. Nick said that a Canyon person told him North America in December. Since then I haven't heard a peep. I've directly contacted Canyon about this and they denied that it would happen. Which, of course, is totally expected.

Jamie
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is there no U.S. distribution? Why isn't the geometry published? Canyon should seize the moment and sell some bikes!

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
canyon - and this is not a complaint as I have 3, routinely have problems meeting demand, so you can wait weeks for orders. selling in to the US is likely to compound that issue further meaning more people waiting for more bikes in more places

There have been discussions about the legal issues and compliance for distribution in US I'm not sure if there are issues but I'd be interested to know how they'd set it up as my understanding is that they assemble their bikes and distribute from Germany. I've friends in Qatar and Dubai who've bought them and whilst they've not paid VAT they pay shipping which basically completely offsets VAT and there are no import duties its good value.

In the US you'd have to pay import duty on bike plus shipping then clearance fee's which would not be cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they were really on it they would have launched the day of/after Kona given how well Frodo did.
Jamie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exactly. I can already see the bike selling out in December.. they always do when it comes to Canyon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that the new facility is up and running in Koblenz maybe shipping delays will be better. However, I've been following them on FB and there are a LOT of comments complaining about extremely slow, open ended delivery. That's kind of soured my on the whole thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must know a lot about bike production
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JamieJ wrote:
If they were really on it they would have launched the day of/after Kona given how well Frodo did.
Jamie

This has been modus operandi for Canyon for a lot of years and they still sell a ton of bikes whilst increasing prices every year.
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edit - I thought your response was directed at me - it wasn't, so this isn't in reply to your post but more a general observation

Canyon appear to have a model where they provide well specified bikes at a reasonable cost and they do not appear to be able to keep up with demand

Exporting those bikes outside the EU to countries with VAT / duty costs to be added will make it harder for them to be competitive - as well FX rates

Exporting to additional markets - unless there has been a significant change in their existing model and capacity is likely to further worsen delays for existing markets

Its difficult to manage, the US market has to be ridiculously attractive but there has to be a significant risk with entering it if they cant meet the needs of their existing market
Last edited by: Andrewmc: Nov 1, 15 3:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with your post (although I do think Canyon is coming to the US, they're already going to Australia I think and besides, why else sponsor Kona this year?) but I think you have to separate duty and VAT, because you still pay VAT for intra-EU orders.
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a fucking thing
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're correct but duty rates are different on components than finished items - so if components are brought in and assembled and shipped out again the import duties at the second end can be different - I don't know about duties on bikes

Canyons model at the open is to send by courier in europe and to ME - I don't know how cost effective that is to the US and I have no idea how they do it in Oz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
canyon - and this is not a complaint as I have 3, routinely have problems meeting demand, so you can wait weeks for orders. selling in to the US is likely to compound that issue further meaning more people waiting for more bikes in more places.

Thank you for that explanation. Interesting they so active with sponsorship of athletes and events while they have supply side constraints. Woudn't those dollars would be better spent on production? I'm not throwing stones, just scratching my head on the business model.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they should make a lottery for one or two speedmax models, just for fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why don't you explain it to us?
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
kyle h wrote:
COJO wrote:
I love it!! It just makes sense to have everything you need integrated into the bike. I dont want to even hear the price as Canyon is usually very proud of their products? and what is really THAT different than the new Plasma? They look very similar.

Is this a real post? Canyon is by far one of the most reasonably priced companies when it comes to their bikes and offerings.

Perhaps youre right? Maybe I am combining availability in the U.S. and rarity in the U.S. and assuming an exotic price tag. I love the bike so.....I hope youre right.
Your post couldn't have been much further off the mark!
Canyon bikes are fantastic value for money compared to any other brand.
The only negatives are that you may not get the opportunity to see one in person before buying and may have a bit of a wait depending on what you're after.
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are waiting times long in Europe as well? I live in Brazil, but I have a friend living in Germany, and my cousin lives in the UK. I will buy the bike, and I do prefer to send it to my cousin in the UK, will I have to wait longer?
Quote Reply
Re: New Canyon on their website [triguy119] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy119,

I also live in Brazil and bought a Canyon MTB and had it delivered to my hotel in Portugal.
After payment, it was delivered after 2 weeks.
Just an advice: just buy if it is on immediate deliver
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Exporting those bikes outside the EU to countries with VAT / duty costs to be added will make it harder for them to be competitive - as well FX rates

The FX rates (Eurodollar close to a 5Y low) should be helping them being competitive in North America. Imports of raw materials are a little more expensive, but labour is relatively cheap in USD terms and gross margin should be relatively good.

I don't see how the VAT/duty would impact the competitiveness - the prices for delivery to Germany include German VAT that would be removed before you add US taxes. You only pay VAT once and the relative mark-up should be similar for Canyon/Trek/Cervelo etc. (I assume there are no anti-dumping taxes on bikes imported from Germany).

Canyon bikes sold into the UK are significantly (>10% for the models I checked) more expensive than those sold into Germany though. Possibly a cushion against adverse fx movements in the future, I doubt they will want large fluctuations in retail prices when and if the Euro appreciates again. I would expect to see something similar when prices for US distribution are announced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JamieJ wrote:
The only thing I've seen was on the Speedmax review on Tririg. Nick said that a Canyon person told him North America in December. Since then I haven't heard a peep. I've directly contacted Canyon about this and they denied that it would happen. Which, of course, is totally expected.

Jamie
I recently got a followup from Canyon that a USA launch would be later than I was originally told. It's definitely coming, but expect some time in 2016.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by triguy119 [ In reply to ]

Prev Next