Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice to see your comments Robert!

refthimos wrote:
I'll start...

Disclosure: Our team is sponsored by Cannondale, and last year added Trek so we are now dual-sponsored. I'm currently on an EVO Hi-Mod and ready to make the move to disc brake road. I'll definitely be getting a CAAD12 Disc as my back-up/trainer bike, but for the main road bike it's going to be between the new SystemSix and the new Madone disc. So either Cannondale/Cannondale or Trek/Cannondale.

Tough decision. Have you seen the white paper? We tested the Madone, but in rim brake form. Other than the Cannondale, it was the lowest drag road bike in our test. Tom, do you think the disc version will have different drag?

Quote:

System Design: I think we see in this bike what Damon was referring to when he said that even with the aero penalty of a disc rotor and caliper, bikes can be made faster when freed from the confines of a rim brake. While I am sure Damon could rattle off a laundry list of areas on the bike where this is true, the area I see it the most is in the rim design. It looks like Cannondale (Knot) has gone all-in on Hed's patented rim design, which requires a curved rim surface where the brake track would normally be.

Exactly And not only curved, but 32mm wide. Very few (none?) high-end rim brakes available today can fit rims that wide.

Quote:

Reflective Logos: The first pre-dawn ride I did riding behind a buddy wearing the silver reflective Empires, I knew I had to have a pair. If you're like me and sometime on the road at 4am to get your training in before work, you owe it to yourself to get some reflective kit to go with your rear light. One of the first things I do with wheel stickers, whether they be Zipp, Enve or Bontrager Aeolus TLRs, is peel them right off because they do no nothing positive for the ride. But if the Knot stickers are reflective, I will have to reconsider that practice. At least until I scratch one or it starts to peel.

The frame has reflective elements, but not the wheels. I think the logos are under clear coat though, sorry.

Quote:

Computer/Accessory Mount: This one worries me a little. It looks like it's plastic and affixed with a single bolt. Is it a combo mount, i.e. can you mount a GoPro or light underneath? While I wouldn't race with it, I love my Fly12CE for training and it seems unlikely this mount could handle it. Without any info or seeing it in person, it does seem like a 2-bolt mount, perhaps with something like an alloy or heavy-duty option, would be nice there.

Don't worry, it's aluminum, not plastic. Yes, it's one bolt, but it keys into the two handlebar mounting bolts.

Quote:

Weight: It looks like Cannondale is already getting out in front of this one, with the calculations conceding mere seconds up a climb like Alpe d'Huez but noting that the bike is faster in all other scenarios. While all true, the Cannondale brand has long attracted the weight-weenie crowd, with bikes like the EVO Hi-Mod able to offer us amazing stiffness and handling all while being crazy light. I'd be curious to see the weight difference between a comparably equipped SuperSix and EVO. 1kg? More? It also seems like it might be tough to lighten up the SystemSix, as the seatpost, stem and bars are all proprietary parts of the "system." Overall, we get it, aero>weight in almost all use cases, but I think you've still got that instinct/emotional hurdle to overcome with the "heft test."

Yeah, this will be the toughest nut to crack with riders who aren't ready to believe the data. For what it's worth, the SystemSix accepts standard stem & bars so you have a choice there.

Quote:

Handling: Damon, are you allowed to share the front-end stiffness of the bike, and perhaps more specifically, where frame will score on the Tour magazine NM/degree test? Is that something you test in-house or would we need to wait for the Tour test?

Tested at Zedler per Tour Magazin's protocol:
Head tube 105 N*m/degree,
Bottom bracket 73 N/mm.

Just stiffer than the sweet spot. Should be a lot more stable than your last aero road bike. :-)

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Jul 2, 18 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom,
I'm guessing that probably should say figure 8. I know the figure numbers changed a bit in revisions, we probably missed this one.
Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Don't worry, it's aluminum, not plastic. Yes, it's one bolt, but it keys into the two handlebar mounting bolts.

So the mount is (or can be converted) to a combo mount, so we can use our computer on top and another accessory below?

damon_rinard wrote:
The frame has reflective elements, but not the wheels. I think the logos are under clear coat though, sorry

I have no problem with logos under clear coat. They are not going to get ripped, snagged or peel off that way!

One other question: While I am sure the 65mm deep wheels are killer and pretty stable for their depth, for smaller riders, those just not comfortable with a front wheel that deep, or riders looking to take their bike into gusty canyons or exposed, windy alpine descents, are you planning on offering a shallower version of the wheels, with the same inner and outer rim dimensions, same Hed 2.0 toroidal rim shape, etc?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Jul 2, 18 10:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

Exactly And not only curved, but 32mm wide. Very few (none?) high-end rim brakes available today can fit rims that wide.

That's 32mm wide at the rim edge? or is that the max width? The paper suggests the latter...

If the latter, what's the outer width at the bead and then 10-15mm away from the bead?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 2, 18 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Garmin mount on top and bottom. Don't get too carried away though, max two devices. Don't go stacking three or more.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom,

32 mm wide at the maximum width, which in this design is at the brake track.

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Tom,
I'm guessing that probably should say figure 8. I know the figure numbers changed a bit in revisions, we probably missed this one.
Cheers,
Damon

Aaah...so that chart is missing. Got it.

Also, in the section on wheel testing, it says the KNOT wheels were tested against rim brake models of the competitors. Did the KNOT wheel include a braking disc? If so, what size and model?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
One other question: While I am sure the 65mm deep wheels are killer and pretty stable for their depth, for smaller riders, those just not comfortable with a front wheel that deep, or riders looking to take their bike into gusty canyons or exposed, windy alpine descents, are you planning on offering a shallower version of the wheels, with the same inner and outer rim dimensions, same Hed 2.0 toroidal rim shape, etc?

Hi Robert,
For now 65 is the only rim depth. Sideforce transitions smoothly in gusting yaw angles though so give it a try first.

If you still want shallower wheels, no problem. Even though the frame and fork are Speed Release, they accept any 12mm through axle road wheels. Just put the Cannondale Speed release through and tighten in place.

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Dang it, sounds like we missed that one. I guess that's what I get for having back surgery the week before go-live. I'm actually at home typing from my recovery bed right now...

Quote:

Also, in the section on wheel testing, it says the KNOT wheels were tested against rim brake models of the competitors. Did the KNOT wheel include a braking disc? If so, what size and model?

No disc rotor, just the disc hub (together with spokes and rim and tire, obvs). As you've pointed out, we have more spokes than some (20 in the KNOT64 front wheel). And you probably know that even the smallest disc brake hub has more frontal area than some rim brake hubs (larger diameter, center lock disc mounting splines). And dish. Given all that, we minimized the size of our hub, the number of spokes and were happy the KNOT64 beat rim brake wheel models.

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Jul 2, 18 10:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Dang it, sounds like we missed that one. I guess that's what I get for having back surgery the week before go-live. I'm actually at home typing from my recovery bed right now...

Quote:

No disc rotor, just the disc hub (together with spokes and rim and tire, obvs). As you've pointed out, we have more spokes than some (20 in the KNOT64 front wheel). And you probably know that even the smallest disc brake hub has more frontal area than some rim brake hubs (larger diameter, center lock disc mounting splines). And dish. Given all that, we minimized the size of our hub, the number of spokes and were happy the KNOT64 beat most of the rim brake wheel models.

Cheers,
Damon

Dang...I hope your back is better.

I only asked about the braking disc to put that data in context. How much do you think a 160mm rotor would add to that plot for the non-zero yaw angles?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Dang...I hope your back is better.

Thanks Tom. Me too. It's already starting to get better, so I'm feeling hopeful!

Quote:

I only asked about the braking disc to put that data in context. How much do you think a 160mm rotor would add to that plot for the non-zero yaw angles?

Based on the data we have, on a complete bike, about 3 watts @ 40 km/h (rotor & caliper), same as adding a rim brake.

But on the SystemSix, without rim brakes, we can have the good KNOT64 wheel performance you see in the graph, *and* reduce frame & fork drag by shaping the crown & downstream areas.

Today, the fastest bike we know of... has disc brakes. Sorry my friend. :-)

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Jul 7, 18 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

Today, the fastest bike we know of... has rim brakes. Sorry my friend. :-)

Cheers,
Damon

You mean disc brakes?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, thanks for catching my mistake Bryan. I'll edit.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
damon_rinard wrote:

Today, the fastest bike we know of... has rim brakes. Sorry my friend. :-)

Cheers,
Damon

You mean disc brakes?

Freudian slip ;-) Of course, since rim brakes are "disc brakes", both statements are correct :-P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

Today, the fastest bike we know of... has disc brakes. Sorry my friend. :-)

Hmmm...I wonder if I could spec a rim-braked bike that could beat it in the overall system simulations... :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Five quick questions:

First, I saw in the GCN video that this bike is "cleared up to 30mm tire". Should I assume that's 30mm measured width?

Second, what are our options for aftermarket bars? I see that it's a standard 31.8mm steerer but is there anyway to put on another bar and not totally kludge the brake cable routing?

Third, how does the steerer tube come? Slammed or with plenty of spacers and room to trim?

Fourth, what sort of spokes do you have on the wheels? Bladed/aero I hope? Very interesting wheel design you have there.

Lastly, do you have any information on how a bottle on the downtube affects the aerodynamics of the bike?

Thanks. Beautiful bike btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Thorax wrote:
Looks really, REALLY, good.

My aesthetic sense can't get over the "overbite" of the fork crown though...

A little inelegant, I'll grant you, but if it makes the bike more aero, I can live with it.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the reason for the women's model having a much more sloped top tube?
Why, at $10k, does it not include the integrated stem that the men's versions do? And how come only mechanical at that price point, when the men's version is Ultegra Di2?
Why is there only one women's version? And only in pink?

Not on some equality tirade here, just trying to understand the reasoning behind these choices. Buying a bike for my girlfriend recently, every shop we went into zeroed in on the women's frames. She didn't want any of them. They looked lame, weak. And silly colours like pink and aqua. A man at 5'6" and 125lbs would not be sold a women's bike, so why a woman at that size? In the end, we said f-it to talking to sales people and went for the bike she wanted, pretending it was for me. Also, having worked in sports retail selling running shoes, I can tell you that many women would rather have the men's colourways – I had to apologize so many times for the barbie girl colours and watch potential customers walk out empty handed.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I really like is that all frame sizes match the stack numbers in the geo charts .. a ride to percieve the machine on the road would be most interesting ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "shrink it and pink it" mentality took a long time to die in running. We're still not there in cycling/triathlon, or trying to make additional margin on the women's edition by taking away certain features (looking at you, 2XU aero kit from 2017) relative to the men's version.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that looks freaking amazing Damon!

After your speed concept blew the doors off the industry on all performance, innovation and aesthetic levels... Everything you design should have your signature on it

Respect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple more random questions:

Spacers: What is the stack height of an individual aero headset spacer? Will they be available in lower stack heights so riders can fine tune their stack, e.g. if they are "between" spacers?

Tires: Should we read anything in to the choice of the Vittoria Rubino Pro tires? Normally, I disregard the tires that come on a bike, because I'm just going to replace them with whatever it is that I prefer. I'm just wondering how much we should infer from the "system" approach - did it go as far as tires or did the product manager just cut a great deal with Vittoria? Seems a little odd not to offer a tubeless tire with the tubeless Knot wheels (even though I understand the decision to ship bikes with tubes in them for the average consumer), when you could ship it with Schwalbe Pro Ones, which have tested about 1W faster and are tubeless compatible. And you already include Pro Ones with other bikes, like the CAAD12 Dura-Ace Disc. At least for now.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi GreenPlease, let me answer.

GreenPlease wrote:
Five quick questions:

First, I saw in the GCN video that this bike is "cleared up to 30mm tire". Should I assume that's 30mm measured width?

Correct, measured. With such variation in rim inside widths, we almost don't go by labelled tire size anymore.

By the way, rule of thumb: same tire on a wider rim gets wider (and taller) by about half the increase in rim width.

Quote:

Second, what are our options for aftermarket bars? I see that it's a standard 31.8mm steerer but is there anyway to put on another bar and not totally kludge the brake cable routing?

Fork accepts any stem, so you have your choice of any bar. Brake hoses still go into the top of the head tube; no measurable change in drag. EF Drapac p/b Cannondale uses standard Vision stems, so check out their set ups to see what it looks like, not so bad.

Quote:

Third, how does the steerer tube come? Slammed or with plenty of spacers and room to trim?

Room to trim.

Quote:

Fourth, what sort of spokes do you have on the wheels? Bladed/aero I hope? Very interesting wheel design you have there.

Can't remember if we settled on CX Rays or Aerolites. they tested the same for us.

Quote:

Lastly, do you have any information on how a bottle on the downtube affects the aerodynamics of the bike?

We didn't test without, since the goal was to make the fastest race bike, which most of the time means two bottles. But based on past experience I'd guess adding a bottle would add around 3-5 watts at 40 km/h. Less when the bottle is low on the downtube (which is why we have the optional lower position there).

Quote:

Thanks. Beautiful bike btw.

Thanks, I think so too. :-) I'll pass your appreciation on to the other design team members.

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Jul 7, 18 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Staer,

Staer wrote:
What is the reason for the women's model having a much more sloped top tube?
Why, at $10k, does it not include the integrated stem that the men's versions do? And how come only mechanical at that price point, when the men's version is Ultegra Di2?
Why is there only one women's version? And only in pink?

Great questions, I'll ask our women's product manager.

FYI, the frames are the same. The top tube slopes more with each smaller size, for two reasons: to decrease the seat tube length and increase stand over clearance. This is true for both unisex and women's models. It may look different because the sizes in the photos are different. So anyone who fits can ride either unisex or women's versions.

Quote:
Not on some equality tirade here, just trying to understand the reasoning behind these choices. Buying a bike for my girlfriend recently, every shop we went into zeroed in on the women's frames. She didn't want any of them. They looked lame, weak. And silly colours like pink and aqua. A man at 5'6" and 125lbs would not be sold a women's bike, so why a woman at that size? In the end, we said f-it to talking to sales people and went for the bike she wanted, pretending it was for me. Also, having worked in sports retail selling running shoes, I can tell you that many women would rather have the men's colourways – I had to apologize so many times for the barbie girl colours and watch potential customers walk out empty handed.

I'm with you. (And speaking for myself, I sort of am on an equality tirade!) Women and men should buy and ride (or run in, or wear, or use) whatever products they like, and get decent sales help while buying it. We would be happy if your girlfriend chose a Cannondale bike of any kind.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
What I really like is that all frame sizes match the stack numbers in the geo charts .. a ride to percieve the machine on the road would be most interesting ..

Hi sausskross, very perceptive of you. Correct, a classic steel frame racing bike's stack is almost always very close to the center-to-center seat tube length (a.k.a. size). Size 56 has stack of 560 mm. (This trend stops when sizes go below about 53cm).

Since the SystemSix is a (new) classic racing bike, we stuck with the classic sizing. No surprises for fitters or riders.

Would be great to get your comments after you get a chance to ride one.

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply

Prev Next