Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bike advice
Quote | Reply

So, I finally decided to get an aero road bike, a good share sell, a bonus at work etc. has left me with around £3k to spend.

I’ve narrowed my choices down to the following:

Giant Propel

Scott Foil

Canyon Aeroad

I know the old saying ‘buy what fits’, but I live on an Island, where the chance to try different bikes is virtually impossible. I’ve ridden Giants and Scotts over the years, and they’ve always fitted well.

Any other good aero bikes I’m missing and should be considering?

What are you guys riding, and what are your experiences with riding maybe different aero road bikes?

Things have moved on so much since I’ve last bought a new bike!

Many thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike advice [Proby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are on an island, then remote support is probably also a factor.

Of those three, I am partial to the looks of the Canyon. And, they may have an advantage for support, since they are engineered for direct-to-consumer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was also in the market and was also looking into those bikes.
For me:
Propel entry model has a high weight. But a more expensive version has a lot bang for bucks with powermeter.
The Foil I read stuff about delicate seat height screw and disc brake clearance. Possibly incidents.
The Aeroad I tried both the L and XL variant but stack/reach seemed a bit too long/low for me.

In the end I think all three are solid choices and cool bikes.
I am a leggy not too flexy guy and I already have a tt bike. In the end I opted for the Canyon Ultimate with the option to lower front end if I can handle it and to save cash for maybe power meter.

Good luck with your choice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You say you've narrowed the list to thos e3 but don't mention what you've already considered and eliminated.

If you haven't already, it might also be worth looking at the Felt AR range and Cervelo S range.
I do like the Cervelos but last time I was looking, the Canyon and Felt bikes seemed better value and I'd likely end up with one of those if I wanted an aero bike. My current road bike is not an aero bike, it's a Canyon Ultimate from a few years back. Last time I looked the Aeroad geometry had a pretty low stack and I might end up using more stem spacers than I'd like. You don't have to try a bike in person to know how it'll fit. I bought my Canyon without ever seeing one in the flesh. I compared the geometry to my existing bike, which wasn't ideally sized but which I'd tweaked stem and bars on so it was pretty good. I just made sure the Canyon could accommodate my current position and also had some scope for adjustment in the direction I thought might be an improvement. It worked out perfectly. You should be able to find the geometry of almost any road bike online and can compare to your existing position relatively easily. Road bike positioning isn't that hard to compare between bikes. Stack, reach, stem, handlebar and crank dimensions tell you almost the full story. Of those only stack and reach can't be changed, and crank length isn't usually an issue. Stems give you most scope for adjustment and you can get them pretty inexpensively so long as you're not after something exotic.
Of course comparing to your existing bike or position requires that you have one. If you don't, I'd get a bike fit before investing in an expensive bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike advice [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
If you are on an island, then remote support is probably also a factor.

Of those three, I am partial to the looks of the Canyon. And, they may have an advantage for support, since they are engineered for direct-to-consumer.
Yes I’m partial to the look of the Canyon, lovely looking bike, pretty good value too. And your point on support is worth remembering, thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike advice [Bertraket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bertraket wrote:
I was also in the market and was also looking into those bikes.
For me:
Propel entry model has a high weight. But a more expensive version has a lot bang for bucks with powermeter.
The Foil I read stuff about delicate seat height screw and disc brake clearance. Possibly incidents.
The Aeroad I tried both the L and XL variant but stack/reach seemed a bit too long/low for me.

In the end I think all three are solid choices and cool bikes.
I am a leggy not too flexy guy and I already have a tt bike. In the end I opted for the Canyon Ultimate with the option to lower front end if I can handle it and to save cash for maybe power meter.

Good luck with your choice!

Interesting the Propel is on the heavy side, I’m looking for a lighter bike, so will bear that in mind. The Foil issues are worth noting, thanks for that. I will probably not go for disc brakes, as I do tend to swap wheels over different bikes, though I haven’t ruled it out.

Quote Reply
Re: New Bike advice [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ah thanks, I’d forgotten about the Felts, I remember when they first brought out the aero road bike, was a good looking bike, will look into them. Like you mention, I have looked at maybe a Cervelo S5, but price wise I’d get more for my money elsewhere. Though I do like Cervelos, I’ve got an R3, had a P3C, so if I could get a good 2nd hand deal on a S5, that would be good.

I agree with what you’re saying about bike geometry etc. I’ve had several bike fits over the years, and know pretty close to what geometry/size I need.

Quote Reply