Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bike
Quote | Reply
My brother in law looking to get a bike for the beginning of next year. I am pretty much ignorant when it comes to cycling and equipment outside of my own gear, plus 99% of the riding I do is on road and tri bikes so not really familiar with the other sort of stuff he is talking about. His thoughts on what he is trying to get are below, any sort of help or recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. See below:

My budget is $1500

70% of my riding is asphalt, greenways. 30% flat dirt roads (not hardcore mountain biking paths), crushed gravel. Looking to do 2-3 hour fitness riding on weekend in greenways around Raleigh, riding around my neighborhood and some light commuting.

-I am looking at entry level road bikes like Giant Defy 1 ($1300) but I don’t think that can handle flat dirt roads or commuting accessories.

-Also looking at Trek ION ($1500). Great light crosscycle that can handle most terrains, test drive felt great! but not sure how comfortable it would be for long rides and I don’t see me cyclecross racing.

-Last bike is a Specialized Sirrus flatbar hybrid bike ($1100). It just seems like a roadbike with flat bars but it can handle commuting accessories and I am more use to flatbars.

I am torn. Would love any suggestions based on your riding experience. Trek ION looks cool as hell but not sure that is a good all around bike if it was built for cyclecross.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike [2themax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother in law was doing similar shopping, greenway/commute to work bike and he ended up with a Scott SUB(not sure which model):
http://www.scott-sports.com/...9009/bike-sub-20-xl/

700c wheels, accepts cyclocross size tires, flat bar, durable components. Last I talked to him he really liked it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon.competitor.com had a couple recent reviews on bikes in this price range.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, looks like everyone's brother in law is getting a new bike...

My bro-in-law wants a new recreational / fitness bike to tool around with the family and such.
Rides not much longer than a couple hours. Bike paths, some dirt maybe.

He narrowed down his choices to the following three Trek bikes: FX7.5, 9th District & Verve4 (all carried by his lbs).

Then decided on the Trek 9th District (< $1000), less gearing than the others, but he lives in a pretty flat area so should be fine.

Happy trails....

http://stylishnilesh.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest the Trek 7.2 FX Disc. Cheaper than what he's looking at, disc brakes, and fat tire for gravel. I bought a Trek PDX earlier this year for commute and love it (pretty much the same bike with slightly different components).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he does some significant amount of riding on dirt/gravelly roads he may want to check a cyclo cross bike. will ride well on hard/asphalt surface and off road type surface
Quote Reply