Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bike Today??
Quote | Reply
In a few hours I am going to check out a cervelo soloist. It was hard to find somebody within comfortable driving range with (2002) one in stock. The guy at the shop claims he can properly fit me to a bike?? I will want to ride the bike in both configurations. Can you give me any advice to make sure I am getting a proper fit. I realize that this bike may not fit me at all and if so I don't want to buy it
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Today?? [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good choice. If I was in the market for a new road bike that is one that is worth a look.

Your starting point is frame size. I use the LeMond method for this. Stand against a wall in your sock feet in your bike shorts or something tight and push a book up against your crotch paralleling the wall. Have someone else take a measurement for you in centimeters. Do this three times and average the three. Now multiply this by .67. This will give you a theoretical frame size that should be right for you. Once you start with the right size frame then you can carry on with the rest of the fitting.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Today?? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I got that figured. how do you compute length?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no math formula to determine effective top tube length that I am aware of. This will be a function of your body flexibility as much as anything. Unless you have very unusual leg to torso proportions, once you get the frame size correct the top tube length should also be ball park and would be adjusted to suit you by stem length.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Today?? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, thats what I figured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to throw a wrench in the works but riding it won't tell you whether it fits you correctly. Test rides are a poor tool when it comes to evaluating a bike.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Today?? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iv'e never been a fan of any formula.My inseam of 34" gets me a bike that is 57.5cm. (.67x34) I'm 6'4" and have size 15 feet.tTo get the length top tube I need I have to get most manufactures 61 or62 cm bike.It has cost me way to much counting on numbers and not a pro fitter.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Today?? [Cullen Watkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These formula's IMO are just a guide to put the "average" build rider into the ballpark. Note that I mentioned earlier about unusual leg to torso proportions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well thanks for all the useful info on this thread, after taking measurements I fall somewhat in-between sizes. My leg length says shorter but my torso says longer. I tried a few different sizes and a few different bikes in front of the guy. I tried a felt, trek, speacialized, Giant, and the Cervelo Soloist. I told the guy I didn't care what the name was as long as it was a quality bike that fit. At the end we both thought the soloist or maybe the felt both with minor changes, so Maybe I will try some more bikes over the weekend. Hey Tom your right, they pretty much all feel the same during a spin through the parking lot.
Quote Reply