Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bike
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I'm new to this forumn and newish to triathlon. I've racing on and off for several years (more off than on due to deploying overseas and the obvious last year), I started on a GT Grade Sora which was fun and I did some Sprints on, splashed out on a Giant Propel and did a middle distance which I loved however I've now sold that and bought an old (if anyone knows the age from the look of it can you let me know, someone sold it to me on behalf of his dad who was retiring and didn't know much about it) Cervelo P2 which I love even more. It has felt like an instant speed upgrade and much more comfy than using clip-on bars. I am planning on racing it for my first long distance in Jul, and am currently planning on having a concentrated Tailwind on the frame which I will use to refill BTA bottle (not sure which to get but one I can refill with Tailwind and water), and have a bento box that I can put some other "stuff" in.

I did have a problem on a ride last weekend where the rear wheel came out a couple of times. I had a look when I got back and there were two screws where the wheels go so I've tightened them so hopefully that has soved that issue. With my other bikes the wheels were removed downwards rather than rear so that threw me for a few minutes.

However I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice. I have been slowly buying parts to upgrade the bike to Di2, and having searched the threads have found some advice on it, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips after they had done it. I am not sure if I can use the aerobars I have at the minute as there seems to be minimal internal routing for wires - just one on each side for brake cables. However they seem good and I don't want to have to spend a lot if I don't have to. I did look at the Profile Design Aeria bars but the Al ones seem a lot heavier than these - does that matter? I think the pads need replacing as well as they look old, and the block-thing they sit on.

Also, would anyone be able to tell me if I can use these wheels and put a new hub(?) on them and an 11spd cassette?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just found a very detailed write-up for installing Di2 on an old thread - thanks exxxviii!
Last edited by: DOTN_Will: May 2, 21 12:30
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike [DOTN_Will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've certainly seen a 2012 that looks identical. It's a classic, great bike.

Regarding the wheel coming out of the horizontal drops. If the picture is after you tightened the screws within those dropouts then they might of just been too far out and the wheel might of been sitting right on the end of the drop out.

I'd inspect the QR axle very closely and probably replace it anyway. Wheels falling off scare me, I'm odd like that. I'd degrease the area around the dropouts and put a nice new QR on that tightened nicely. People say the lever should close firmly enough that it leaves an impression on your hand *and* is it stiff to open. But if the area it contacts is too greasy or the QR is damaged in some way it's too risky however you tighten it.

To be honest your LBS is going to be able to do that sort of check for peanuts. Since it's a second hand carbon bike you could get them to do that, a service and an inspection at the same time. Piece of mind is a good thing when you're going fast with traffic around downhill.

eta 'and'
Last edited by: OddSlug: May 2, 21 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to add.
The little screws which point horizontally backwards in the drop out.
If those are what you're referring to.
Those are simply there to enable the wheel to slot into the correct fore-aft position each time (ie act as stops so your tyre doesn't contact the seat tube, and so are adjustable. They shouldn't be 'holding in' the wheel as such. Only stopping the axle slipping too far forward to the point where the tyre rubs the seat tube.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it was those screws I was referring to, that was after I tightened them. I thought they might have been too far out.

Thanks for the advice, I keep meaning to take it and get it serviced as I'm not sure when it was last done, bloke who I bought if off said it had been sitting in his garage for a year, and some of the bolts are rusty. The only issue is you can't book in with my LBS, you just drop it off and they ring you when it is done which is normally two weeks later - suboptimal to say the least. I obviously need to find a new one.
Quote Reply