Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels
Quote | Reply

I'm in the process of picking out parts for a new bike (Felt IA10 frame) and I'm stuck at selecting wheels. My goal is to have a set of 60mm wheels for most situations, but also a front 90 and a rear disc for particular races (I also do some time trials throughout the year). I'm willing to put money where I think I'll see gains, but for the most part I'm trying to be as "more bang for the buck" as I can. As a result, I have narrowed my choices down to these:

1) FLO Carbon Clinchers (a set of 60's, a front 90, and a disc)

2) HED Jet Plus (a set of 6's, a front 9, and a disc)

These both seem like great wheel sets for the money, with FLO being a few hundred bucks cheaper for all four wheels if you go by prices advertised on the websites. I understand that one is all carbon, and one has CNC alloy braking surface, and I am fine with either. I'm more curious about performance and durability. I usually ride Continental tires (23mm GP4000SII) but wouldn't mind using 25mm, or for big races going with something like Grand Prix TT or even Supersonics.

Does anyone have experience with either of these sets and would like to share?
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is going to fuel a religious debate. The summary is that the major differences are Flo are lighter and likely (I believe) slightly faster. HED has better braking. I have a set of Flo CC 60/90 wheels. I love them. They are my everyday wheels. I have no complaints about the braking. I love the all carbon panache.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set of the aluminum/carbon Flo 90's and love them. Ride super smooth with conti gp 4000 sII tires. As far as durability goes, I haven't put a ton of miles on them, but they're still true and no issues there. As much as people talk about weight differences, every strava climbing KOM I've ever set has been on them over my lighter training wheels. I'd recommend you get the hybrid 60's and the carbon 90 and disc if you go with Flo if you want the most bang for your buck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never ridden flo, but from durability standpoint I got a set of hed jet 6s last july, have used them as my everyday wheels since then (about 3500 miles) and I've had no issues maintenance at all, love them .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple other concerns:

The Flos are not on the UCI approved wheel list. You stated a couple TTs. Very few, but some, require UCI legal wheels.

Switching between Carbon Clinchers and alloy require switching out brake pads. This is possibly quite a PITA depending on your brake calipers.

I've switched between training wheels and CC Zipps until I got a set of HED Jets. Much easier switch.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Never ridden flo, but from durability standpoint I got a set of hed jet 6s last july, have used them as my everyday wheels since then (about 3500 miles) and I've had no issues maintenance at all, love them .

Ditto for me. I like mine a lot. They handle very well in all kinds of conditions (can't speak for snow, but mud, rain, dry...very good wheels).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 2 pair of Flo wheels. Both are / were great. My current setup is a 60 front 90 rear with disc cover. ( Aluminum and carbon). Hard to beat there customer service!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robegan99 wrote:

Does anyone have experience with either of these sets and would like to share?

I have a fair bit of experience with the HED JET+ Plus and have turned a few friends on to them. I'm big on the HED JET 6+ Plus especially since you can always find generous deals on the 6s. Seems like HED doesn't mind discounting at least on their non-black version. I now have the HED JET+ Black and they are awesome but it is overkill if trying to save a few bucks.. Here are some more detailed thoughts I put down on why I think the HED JET 6+ is the Best Value Wheelset in Triathlon. If it were me I would forgo the 9 as well.The front 6 is so nice but I do pair it with a disc on the rear.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Nov 20, 17 10:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a FLO60 front and a HED Jet Plus Black disc. I picked up both from very reasonable sellers on ST classifieds.

Personally, I'd never want a full carbon wheel. There are safety advantages for running an aluminum brake track and the reward doesn't outweigh the risk for me.

Read Thomas' blog post on the HED wheels. He makes a lot of great points about them.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a set of the HED Jet 6’s during Competitive Cyclist’s sale earlier this year. The thorough review by Thomas Gerlach led to me to purchase the HED wheels. The wheels are great and I have no complaints as they are a significant upgrade from the stock wheels.

My two cents: First, stick with one type of braking surface so you don’t have to spend your time changing pads. Second, read FLO’s data on time saved per wheel set, then decide if the time saving for anything deeper than a set of 60’s is worth the extra money.

I believe this is the correct link to FLO’s time savings data:

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...me-will-flo.html?m=1
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Dallcro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dallcro wrote:
I purchased a set of the HED Jet 6’s during Competitive Cyclist’s sale earlier this year. The thorough review by Thomas Gerlach led to me to purchase the HED wheels. The wheels are great and I have no complaints as they are a significant upgrade from the stock wheels.

My two cents: First, stick with one type of braking surface so you don’t have to spend your time changing pads. Second, read FLO’s data on time saved per wheel set, then decide if the time saving for anything deeper than a set of 60’s is worth the extra money.

I believe this is the correct link to FLO’s time savings data:

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...me-will-flo.html?m=1

Yep, I totally agree about the braking surface, which is why I want to buy a "bundle" of the same wheels to handle the situations I race and train in. But you make a good point, and Thomas mentioned it as well, that maybe the front 90 is overkill. My go-to racing configuration would be the 60 front, disc rear. Maybe I'll just start with that. The 90 would only be used when I do a few 20K and 40K TTs and a couple local races where the conditions are basically flat and windless. And I did just read Tomas' blog about the Jet 6+. Very compelling.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [bdungan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bdungan wrote:
The Flos are not on the UCI approved wheel list. You stated a couple TTs. Very few, but some, require UCI legal wheels.

UCI-approved wheels are only required in UCI road races, not TT's. If you have a look at the list you most likely won't find any disc wheels at all and you definitely won't find any trispokes as they are not mass start legal, but you can use them in UCI TT's no problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would a Jet 9+ set plus 6+ front and disc + rear not offer more options?

6/9; 9/9; 6/disc; 9/disc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo makes great wheels and a great price... if you're into the aluminum brake track... Flo has that option as well and for less.

I also like Flo's write-ups on choosing race wheels... http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...race-wheels-for.html
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Dallcro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dallcro wrote:

My two cents: read FLO’s data on time saved per wheel set, then decide if the time saving for anything deeper than a set of 60’s is worth the extra money.

I agree. I think a set of 6's/60's and a disc rear would pretty well cover any situation. The 9/90's area only more aerodynamic at higher yaw angles, where handling difficulties of riding with a 90ish mm deep wheel probably offset any theoretical gains, anyway.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m running the HED Jet 6+’s as the only set of wheels on my Speed Concept. I bought them because they were on a crazy sale and I didn’t want to mess with switching out the brake pads with a fully carbon wheel. I’m really happy with them. Only adjustment I had to make was to widen the brakes to fit the wider rims.

I have a set of Flo 60/90 full carbon wheels arriving tomorrow for my wife’s P2. I’m going to weigh them compared to my Jet 6+’s, so I’ll share the numbers here. I’m removing the tires and tubes from my wheels, so it’ll be a bare wheel to wheel comparison. Obviously comparing the rear 60 Jet vs 90 Flo isn’t an apples to apples comparison, but still interesting regardless.

Why did I go with the Flo’s for the wife? They’re lighter, still relatively inexpensive, and I’ve been curious about how full carbon wheels perform. I plan on doing some back to back testing on my Speed Concept at my local bike loop with a power meter to see if I notice any differences.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
I have a FLO60 front and a HED Jet Plus Black disc. I picked up both from very reasonable sellers on ST classifieds.

Personally, I'd never want a full carbon wheel. There are safety advantages for running an aluminum brake track and the reward doesn't outweigh the risk for me.

Read Thomas' blog post on the HED wheels. He makes a lot of great points about them.

What are the safety advantages?
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
Timtek wrote:

Aluminium is a better braking surface than carbon in bicycle rim brake applications.
The main advantage of full carbon wheels over alloy with a carbon fairing is fashion. Most people seem to consider alloy/carbon hybrid wheels to be a budget alternative to fully carbon wheels, however, from an engineering point of view, I consider full carbon wheels to be inferior. I'm not the only person around here who thinks that. If using disc brakes, the situation is different and carbon may well have the advantage as issues around heat dissipation and brake surface effectiveness are eliminated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used both Flo aluminum version as well as the HEDs. I candidly don't understand why anyone would but carbon brake track wheels with Flo and HED (and other companies) offering great aluminum options that provide a better braking surface. So, I can't speak to Flos all carbon version specifically.

However, comparing HED to Flo aluminum brake track, I noticed very little difference between the wheels. I didn't perform any testing but I challenge anyone who can quantify a noticeable difference in braking power between the two wheels despite the insistence by many that the HEDs brake better. If you want to shell out even more cash, the HED Blacks will certainly provide better braking. I owned Flos, switched to HEDS and then went back to Flos. Why??? Because any differences between the wheels with respect to braking, speed, quality, etc. to all but the most discerning riders will be negligible, at best. But, I wanted a few hundreds bucks back in my pocket and Flo will certainly do that. In the end, you can't go wrong with either choice.

For reasons that others stated, I would avoid the 9/90 up front though. If you want 3 wheels, I would suggest....6/60 up front, 9/90 on back and disc. That will give you all the options you need for all training/racing conditions. If you want to save a little more money and still have similar versatility, I would suggest 6/60 up front, 9/90 in back and a disc cover.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Geek_fit wrote:
Timtek wrote:

Aluminium is a better braking surface than carbon in bicycle rim brake applications.
The main advantage of full carbon wheels over alloy with a carbon fairing is fashion. Most people seem to consider alloy/carbon hybrid wheels to be a budget alternative to fully carbon wheels, however, from an engineering point of view, I consider full carbon wheels to be inferior. I'm not the only person around here who thinks that. If using disc brakes, the situation is different and carbon may well have the advantage as issues around heat dissipation and brake surface effectiveness are eliminated.

Interesting. I race and train on both and I've honestly never noticed a difference in braking or durability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can afford the HED Wheels I would buy those but if you want to save some money then by the FLO's. You can't go wrong with either wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Geek_fit wrote:
Timtek wrote:

Interesting. I race and train on both and I've honestly never noticed a difference in braking or durability.
I don't think I ever heard someone say they couldn't tell the difference between carbon and alloy brake tracks before!
Do you typically ride on flat or hilly terrain? Do you ride much in the wet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a set of full carbon Flo 45s for my road bike last summer and have been very happy with them. I rode them all summer, training and racing on them with no issues. As for durability and build quality, I hit a couple pretty big potholes over the summer, one at 28 mph. While I did get a couple pinch flats, the wheels are still true and undamaged (urban group riding can be an adventure . . .). I'd buy them again.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.....just a side note to a few that it may apply. There are some popular Gran Fondos in my area that do not allow carbon wheels. Although I have been told by a friend or two they were able to use them and no one said anything. http://granfondohincapie.com/.../06/01/safety-first/

I was going to get HED Jet 6 years ago and ended up with Flo. They have served me well in all sorts of weather.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Besides the braking, I've seen more catastrophic failures of full-carbon wheels on youtube than I care to remember.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next