Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bicycle Sports Store opening in San Diego
Quote | Reply
Dave says March is the opening date, looking forward to getting properly fitted finally (slam), John Cobb will have Dave run it. FYI
Quote Reply
Re: New Bicycle Sports Store opening in San Diego [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word on where is SD the shop will be located? I wonder how well these guys will do given the number of high quality/visibility shops already in San Diego. Granted they're showing up with a great reputation. In general, I'm curious to see if they'll be able to pull off opening all these new shops all over the place. Hopefully they will.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bicycle Sports Store opening in San Diego [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question, no idea really where they will be located, I will suggest though that a good course of action would be to locate themselves in a small venue somewhere in the Mission Bay area, there is a lack of pro tri shops in that area and they could find a real niche there with all the tri's going on near Fiesta Island, forget North County because Nytro and B&L have a chokehold there, and Hi Tech is in the Mission Valley area, There are way too many Performance bikes in San Diego, which sucked up the seven (I used to race MTB for) Bike USA stores.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are way too many Performance bikes in San Diego, which sucked up the seven (I used to race MTB for) Bike USA stores.
Performance isn't any competition for a pro shop though. The Performance shops in the area really don't appeal to high-end cyclists--at least not to me. Although expensive to own a business in, I think La Jolla is in need of a good store. Nytro and B&L do have the market for North County, but La Jolla is still close enough to the concentration of triathletes to do a good business. North County has the highest population of triathletes, and I think for them La Jolla is an easier destination than Mission Bay. In the end, as long as they're good, I'm sure it doesn't matter where they are. There are pleny of cyclists in the area to support the business.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bicycle Sports Store opening in San Diego [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah anywhere really from La Jolla south to Point Loma - coastal - would be the best bet for the shop. The best place would be on a bike route where cyclists could ride on up to the store. Maybe off of Morena or in a little PB/La Jolla boutique store. I'll definately get fitted there though, cant get a better Slam fit than going to the source. I have fit myself up as best as I can using their web site but I'd like a professional opinion and help.

Hi-Tech bikes is probably the highest end pro shop in SD right now. I left Nytro last year and frequent Hi-Tech now as my club is sponsored by them and the staff is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Hi-Tech is great. Their biggest downfall is finding the place! It took me forever to find it the first time I went. Definitely no drive-by traffic for them.

It's awesome though. San Diego has so many great shops to choose from. I'm from Michigan originally, and Demerly's shop is the only really pro shop for many many miles. There are a couple others that are OK, but for the most part, Tom's shop is it. San Diego, on the other hand... whoa!
Quote Reply
Re: New Bicycle Sports Store opening in San Diego [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You still race in San Diego? Any TT, Tri or road stuff? there is a TT at Fiesta Island on Sunday and another the following Saturday at Santiago Canyon.

Gary - info@timetrial.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure it would be death for the shop, but I'd love something inland in the North County. I live up in the Carmel Mountain / Rancho Bernardo area and there's NOTHING up here. So as much as I'd like to say that a coastal shop wouldn't be the way to go, La Jolla/UTC would probably be a great place for business. The only thing there now is the UC Cyclery which falls well short of a good tri shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a roadie. I'd do the time trials on Fiesta Island though. I did the training races on Fiesta Island all last summer. Unfortunately, I'm stuck back in Michigan until December. :( I will definitely do 'em when I get back!
Quote Reply
Re: New Bicycle Sports Store opening in San Diego [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check out www.beyondbikes.com, they are in your neighborhood
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI Gary- your link doesn't work b/c you included the - SoCal Time Trial Racing Information part in your link
Quote Reply
Re: New Bicycle Sports Store opening in San Diego [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the FYI
Quote Reply