Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Argon Tri bike revealed by HJ
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Argon Tri bike revealed by HJ [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same bike Astana had been riding all summer, and actually pretty darn nice. Especially considering they're priced a bit lower than similarly spec'd disc bikes from Cervelo and Felt.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: New Argon Tri bike revealed by HJ [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Same bike Astana had been riding all summer, and actually pretty darn nice. Especially considering they're priced a bit lower than similarly spec'd disc bikes from Cervelo and Felt.

To which Cervelo and Felt bikes would you compare the new E-118 Tri+? I’m probably wrong (not comparing to the relevant stuff), but the Ultegra Di2 version of the P-Series is $2000 cheaper.

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: New Argon Tri bike revealed by HJ [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captainolek wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

To which Cervelo and Felt bikes would you compare the new E-118 Tri+? I’m probably wrong (not comparing to the relevant stuff), but the Ultegra Di2 version of the P-Series is $2000 cheaper.

The E-118 Tri+ being Argon 18s UCI legal Super Bike would be comparable to the P5. From a build perspective both bikes have an Ultegra Di2 build. Argon 18 fits theirs with HED Jet Plus 6/9 wheels for $8,499. Cervelos P5 comes with a slightly lower price - $8,000. But you also get less aero wheels - DT Swiss P1800. On the flip side the Cervelo does come with matching bento box, downtube bottle, and rear hydration mount.

http://aerogeeks.com/...-118-tri-first-look/

The new E-117 Tri Disc more closely matches with the P-Series. Both have a mechanical version - Argon 18 is an Ultegra\105 mix for $2,999 while Cervelo has a 105 for $3,200 and Ultegra for $4,300. And Di2 - Argon 18 for $5,699 and Cervelo for $6,500. (It's not quite apples to apples though when you consider all the wheels, saddles, hydration, etc.. but its a start)

http://aerogeeks.com/...tri-disc-first-look/
Quote Reply
Re: New Argon Tri bike revealed by HJ [MikeAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeAG wrote:
captainolek wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

The E-118 Tri+ being Argon 18s UCI legal Super Bike would be comparable to the P5. From a build perspective both bikes have an Ultegra Di2 build. Argon 18 fits theirs with HED Jet Plus 6/9 wheels for $8,499. Cervelos P5 comes with a slightly lower price - $8,000. But you also get less aero wheels - DT Swiss P1800. On the flip side the Cervelo does come with matching bento box, downtube bottle, and rear hydration mount.

http://aerogeeks.com/...-118-tri-first-look/

The new E-117 Tri Disc more closely matches with the P-Series. Both have a mechanical version - Argon 18 is an Ultegra\105 mix for $2,999 while Cervelo has a 105 for $3,200 and Ultegra for $4,300. And Di2 - Argon 18 for $5,699 and Cervelo for $6,500. (It's not quite apples to apples though when you consider all the wheels, saddles, hydration, etc.. but its a start)

http://aerogeeks.com/...tri-disc-first-look/

Got it! If we set aside fit questions (which obviously I won’t in real life), which of the P5 or the E-118 Tri+ would you get given that I would sell the stock wheels as I already have a nice set? The question is mainly: which bike comes at a cheaper price once you’ve sold the stock wheelset? That’s only an angle of comparison but I need to start somewhere ;-)

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just because the 118 is their top end bike does not mean it's more comparable to a p5 than a pseries. Any wind tunnel data to back that up?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess they've given up on Metron wheels and moved to HED?

Those HED Jet blacks seem to be extremely popular. I do like mine a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: New Argon Tri bike revealed by HJ [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Just because the 118 is their top end bike does not mean it's more comparable to a p5 than a pseries. Any wind tunnel data to back that up?

Being that both bikes were designed to compete at the world tour level with limited concern given towards cost they are going to be considered competing bikes and this comparable.

From an aero standpoint however, it will be a while before an independent third party can get these two bikes in a tunnel shootout (considering the argon isn’t even in shops yet).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

Being that both bikes were designed to compete at the world tour level with limited concern given towards cost they are going to be considered competing bikes and this comparable.

From an aero standpoint however, it will be a while before an independent third party can get these two bikes in a tunnel shootout (considering the argon isn’t even in shops yet).[/quote]

My Bike Shop has them:

https://mybikeshop.com/..._bc_fsnf=1&brand[]=143&sort=pricedesc

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh.....looks like a gen 1 Speed Concept.

Bike companies that do generic bikes like this needs some kind of selling point....price, cool colors, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Is there data on how much faster/slower the P5 disc is than the original P5 ?
Or for that matter the P5 disc compared to the P ?
Quote Reply
Re: New Argon Tri bike revealed by HJ [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Is there data on how much faster/slower the P5 disc is than the original P5 ?
Or for that matter the P5 disc compared to the P ?

I do not know if it is published anywhere but I went to the P5 disc / P3X launch event here in Boulder and they showed some charts showing that the P5 disc was basically equal to the original P5 aerodynamically. They emphasized that it was lighter and stiffer in their presentation.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

The E-118 is their UCI Legal TT bike. Yes, all of their triathletes are on it because they're moving the line to disc brakes. Next will come the E-119 which is their top end TT bike.

Now overall, the frame hasn't changed much except for going to disc brakes for the 118 and 117.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, you can now see more details on our home page: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...er_Jackson_7447.html

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Argon Tri bike revealed by HJ [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
For what it's worth, you can now see more details on our home page: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...er_Jackson_7447.html

That isn't a speedfill BTA Bottle. That's a PD FC25 which comes stock on the Argon 118 Tri and 119 Tri. Not sure why it's there though as she has been running the speedfill up front since she got this bike. Probably for the Argon shoot itself. Notice the Herbalife sticker placed over the branding.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm intrigued to know how they will develop from here to the E-119/121? Tri+. The naming seems odd, but as this E-118 tri+ has the bosses on for the bento and the bottles, then the next 119+ tri has to have more than just those on it. Surely.

I'm still clinging on to my E-114 and would love to trade up to a more modern Argon 18, but as I'm all about long course then half of me says to to wait for the successor to the 119. The other half that I (and thousands of others) managed fine for decades on bikes without onboard food/drink vending machines and a boot/trunk full of spares, so this will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: New Argon Tri bike revealed by HJ [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new E-118 is too small for you - designed to suit UCI positions so there is no point doing big bikes. E-117 Disc is better but still not great compared to P-Series (just in terms of the big sizes handling)
Quote Reply
Re: New Argon Tri bike revealed by HJ [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Naming convention actually winds up working out:

The odd numbered bikes share the same frame, just whether you get the bayonet fork or not. The even numbered bikes are the same deal. I've asked Argon18 whether they are going to be migrating the 119 to disc, but have not seen a response as of yet. I am doubtful that they are going to evolve the 119 beyond where it is currently beside the changes you'd expect out of moving to disc.

That being said, I see zero reason to wait beyond that. It's a damn good set-up and pretty resilient; my wife took her OG E-118 into a guardrail at the then Challenge Atlantic City and the only thing that needed replacement was the fork.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Naming convention actually winds up working out:

The odd numbered bikes share the same frame, just whether you get the bayonet fork or not. The even numbered bikes are the same deal. I've asked Argon18 whether they are going to be migrating the 119 to disc, but have not seen a response as of yet. I am doubtful that they are going to evolve the 119 beyond where it is currently beside the changes you'd expect out of moving to disc.

That being said, I see zero reason to wait beyond that. It's a damn good set-up and pretty resilient; my wife took her OG E-118 into a guardrail at the then Challenge Atlantic City and the only thing that needed replacement was the fork.

There are also high costs to register trademarks. An E120 would mean a new trademark.

When they released the 119 they claimed it was as fast or faster than the P5. You could also guess at how much faster it was than the 118.
They claim the 118+ to be 8 to 10w faster than the 118. I know this to be real.
You can extrapolate the 118+ is probably very close to the 119 and like the P5 pretty close to peak aero
You get disc brakes which has debatable value but definitely the trend
You get the ability to get super low.

Sounds like a good step to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Although I can't get that low anymore (thanks, thoracic spine fractures from 2014), that's a really compelling bike.

I really love the P5d in the black/blue color way, if only because that's my coaching company's color palette.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Agreed. Although I can't get that low anymore (thanks, thoracic spine fractures from 2014), that's a really compelling bike.

I really love the P5d in the black/blue color way, if only because that's my coaching company's color palette.

On a 119 I just have the swivel between my basebar and extension

On a 118+, keeping the same pad stack I would probably have more pad risers and less head tube. I don't remember if it's Heath or Brian that said they found a good amount of distance between the basebar and pads was more aero.

So in theory a lower bar may be better keeping the same pad stack.

Does that make any sense ?
Last edited by: marcag: Oct 11, 19 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC, and I don't want to speak for them, it's speed dependent as to whether you should have pad risers and separation versus keeping things tight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just "slapping" disc brakes on a bike is not our approach. We made the change on the e-118tri because we are bringing a layup without adding weight (generally the case with disc groupset). We always look at the entire system, and we will bring a new bike to market only when we feel we have something truly unique to offer. For Argon 18, we are really proud to offer the lightest bike in the industry.

Now, Heather Jackson did the third-best bike split. She was the strongest on the Hawi climb and downhill with the E-118tri. She was really benefiting from a lower position fit windows.
Quote Reply
Re: New Argon Tri bike revealed by HJ [alex_emetique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_emetique wrote:
Just "slapping" disc brakes on a bike is not our approach. We made the change on the e-118tri because we are bringing a layup without adding weight (generally the case with disc groupset). We always look at the entire system, and we will bring a new bike to market only when we feel we have something truly unique to offer. For Argon 18, we are really proud to offer the lightest bike in the industry.

Now, Heather Jackson did the third-best bike split. She was the strongest on the Hawi climb and downhill with the E-118tri. She was really benefiting from a lower position fit windows.

I don't think I said that anywhere. I touted your bike, and asked the question if the 119 would be migrating as well. Nobody answered that question.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was answered. It will be something truly unique, that's why we can't say much...
Quote Reply