Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New AFM Tire CRR chart
Quote | Reply
I just noticed Al Morrison released a new updated PDF a few days ago:

Newly updated on 3/20/2010 !!! Al Morrison is back at it with his Crr data sets

AFM: Thank you. Your work is greatly appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: New AFM Tire CRR chart [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh, guess I'm running a "bad" tire. But I like my Verdestein foretzas for road racing.
From what I remember looks pretty much the same, just about a half page of new tires.
Quote Reply
Re: New AFM Tire CRR chart [ston_ar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perhaps you can find one that you like just as much, but also requires less energy to squish?

In Reply To:
Meh, guess I'm running a "bad" tire. But I like my Verdestein foretzas for road racing.
From what I remember looks pretty much the same, just about a half page of new tires.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: New AFM Tire CRR chart [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the ones I have well enough I'm not going to change them until they're worn out. That and I don't have the cash to go out and order a bunch of tires to try them all out. Plus from my observations the better rolling a tire is the more they compromise on other aspects. I'm hard on tires, I enjoy moving up the group in the gutter, so I need some flat protection, and I'm willing to give up some RR for flat protection.
If there is a better rolling tire that has decent flat protection, then I would love to get ahold of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pro race 3s. they just dont last that long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, the faster ones will tend to offer less flat protection, or not last very long, that is true

In Reply To:
I like the ones I have well enough I'm not going to change them until they're worn out. That and I don't have the cash to go out and order a bunch of tires to try them all out. Plus from my observations the better rolling a tire is the more they compromise on other aspects. I'm hard on tires, I enjoy moving up the group in the gutter, so I need some flat protection, and I'm willing to give up some RR for flat protection.
If there is a better rolling tire that has decent flat protection, then I would love to get ahold of them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly. I really like the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX (that's a mouthful!). They are readily available online, and roll smooth and super fast. I'll get about one season of racing and training on them before they are too dangerous to ride. I'm considering other tires for this season, but will probably just pick up another set of these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Exactly. I really like the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX (that's a mouthful!). They are readily available online, and roll smooth and super fast. I'll get about one season of racing and training on them before they are too dangerous to ride. I'm considering other tires for this season, but will probably just pick up another set of these.
I run 'em as well. They seem to be doing alright - although, I flatted on my rear this weekend. Thankfully, it was as I was dismounting! How lucky is that?
Quote Reply
Re: New AFM Tire CRR chart [persondude27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very happy I went with the Continental Gran Prix Super Sonics now!
Quote Reply
Re: New AFM Tire CRR chart [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has to be one of the worst tires (durability wise) I have ever ridden. 2 rides this weekend, 2 flats. Rode ALL last season on Conti GP 4000. Not one flat all year! You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Cheers,

Richard Nixon, Fit2Tri Multisport Inc.
Fit2Tri,
rich@fit2tri.com
Discount code, slowtwithch
Quote Reply
Re: New AFM Tire CRR chart [Irondicknixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the warning. I am only going to use them for TTs. Using GP4000s to train and have had similar experiences to you. Great tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
installation error? ive had good experiences with them.

gp4000 isnt that good in terms of RR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think so. Bike splits last year on conti's were just fine with all that RR

Richard Nixon, Fit2Tri Multisport Inc.
Fit2Tri,
rich@fit2tri.com
Discount code, slowtwithch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i do believe the contis have great durability though. maybe the piece of mind is worth a lot more than the RR :D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure how the GP4000 does, but I remember last year's chart and the GP4000S (with the Black Chili) tested very well, pretty close to the PR3. And from my experience, significantly better in terms of durability, so I was willing to sacrifice a little rolling resistance.

I am suprised to see the Grand Prix Supersonic and the Specialized tires so high. I don't remember last year's chart having any high ranking tires from Specialized. Also, I am wondering why the Supersonic jumped so high, has something changed that it's now better than the 4000S when last year it wasn't?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 2 whole seasons of tris on them with no flats.

flats are weird, 90% of the time when I have persistent flats I find out it was my fault. like a rock buried inside the tire that you can feel, but slowly rubs away your tube as you ride

or messed up rim tape

and on and on

In Reply To:
Has to be one of the worst tires (durability wise) I have ever ridden. 2 rides this weekend, 2 flats. Rode ALL last season on Conti GP 4000. Not one flat all year! You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Re: New AFM Tire CRR chart [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am suprised to see the Grand Prix Supersonic and the Specialized tires so high. I don't remember last year's chart having any high ranking tires from Specialized. Also, I am wondering why the Supersonic jumped so high, has something changed that it's now better than the 4000S when last year it wasn't?

The better Specialized and Bontrager tires are variants of the Vit Corsas so that is why they do well.
The older Conti tires that performed poorly were pre- Black Chili. The new tread compound is great for low Crr and durability.

One thing that would be a very nice addition to the chart would be dates. Some of the data is brand new and some is several years old. The ability to organize by brand, clincher -tubular, size, etc would be good too.

Quote Reply
Re: New AFM Tire CRR chart [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the explanation on the Specialized and Bonty tires. I want a quick tire, but prefer the piece of mind of some durabality as well. Continental is open about the fact that the Supersonic has no real puncture protection. And from personal experience I have found the PR3s to be questionable in that regard, but the Conti 4000S to be great.

In another thread Tom A. seemed to indicate the Specialized tires were more durable than some of the pure race tires while still be very fast. I am sure they aren't as durable as the 4000s, but I'd like to know how they stack up against a tire like the Supersonic or the PR3.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New AFM Tire CRR chart [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>One thing that would be a very nice addition to the chart would be dates. Some of the data is brand new and some is several years old. The ability to organize by brand, clincher -tubular, size, etc would be good too.

And perhaps Al could pick them up and then stop by your house to install them, too. Wouldn't that be nice?

Quote Reply
Re: New AFM Tire CRR chart [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
while we are at it, andrew coggan could come over 3 times a week to structure my bike training and roadhouse could swing by for raw motivation and andy potts could swing by and teach me to swim

In Reply To:
>>One thing that would be a very nice addition to the chart would be dates. Some of the data is brand new and some is several years old. The ability to organize by brand, clincher -tubular, size, etc would be good too.

And perhaps Al could pick them up and then stop by your house to install them, too. Wouldn't that be nice?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it. Let's throw in an Italian chef and Swedish masseur and call it good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that was how you Napa guys train.
Quote Reply
Re: New AFM Tire CRR chart [jrennie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only when we're not drinking.

You heading to Topsport this weekend? On the fence. P/1/2 looks like everyone not at Redlands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So tempting to try the Vittoria Pista for some upcoming TT's. I have only herd of it for track use thu. I guess you would really be rolling the dice in regards to flatting.

thanks for the update AL, I really appreciate it!
Last edited by: rhcpcraig: Mar 23, 10 20:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was lucky to make it through a RR and 2 crits. The RR is too long and hilly for my knee. Redlands took a lot of the hp away. I saw Gelach is registered but I think he punctured a lung in a crash at Land Park.
Quote Reply

Prev Next