Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty
Quote | Reply
Just did an internet search and saw zero mention of this. Pretty sure this will be official unless something weird happens... ?

Lockwood tried on Sept 4 but missed George Simpson's 2021 record by ~20 sec. He came back the next day with better wind conditions and an extra 9 watts (392W at 6100 ft) and beat it by 36 sec!

Some observations:

Shark fin? Castelli BP3.3 suit, Velotoze, Aerohead. Last gen Speed Concept with a whopper tall stem...pads aren't much below saddle height. Hed Jet 90 front, and disc rear? GP5000 tires... tubed or tubeless? Aerocoach bars. 1x... 60t?

More photos here: https://albertwatters.zenfolio.com/p1039927247?customize=3
Strava link: https://www.strava.com/...192/analysis/10/2702
Last edited by: rruff: Sep 13, 22 14:13
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Socks look illegal (by UCI rules) to me....

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to go on record but I encouraged him to do this event after he absolutely destroyed me in the local TT, even though still broke the old course record. Expect a couple more efforts for the 40km record next year. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno... pretty close. Mine were definitely illegal though... along with a few other things... ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice riding. Kudos to Cory & team (assuming there is a team behind this!)

I have questions too. See below:

Am I see aluminum braking tracks? Standard flagship wheel for Hed? Or lower tier model? (not that it matters if aero is good in flat TT, just rare to see in a record-breaking performance lately)

What skewers are those?

How close is that car behind him? Seems like maybe a 2-4 car lengths but is probably camera perspective.

How close does a car behind a rider have to be to grant the first measurable benefit? Not expressing skepticism, just asking for curiosity and personal understanding.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Expect a couple more efforts for the 40km record next year. ;)

Any World Tour pros? I'm surprised that Lockwood beat it going by his history. He's good, but Simpson has a better record.
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they are Hed Jets... aluminum rim with carbon fairing. Not new.
Skewers have a big handle so not aero ones.
Don't know about the car.

There are several little things regarding his equipment that could be improved... probably. Like tires, skinsuit, crank, skewers, pedals... maybe wheels.
Last edited by: rruff: Sep 13, 22 15:22
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Am I see aluminum braking tracks? Standard flagship wheel for Hed? Or lower tier model? (not that it matters if aero is good in flat TT, just rare to see in a record-breaking performance lately)

You've actually seen these wheels quite a bit, it's just that the newer versions have black anodized brake tracks.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duly noted. :)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
How close is that car behind him? Seems like maybe a 2-4 car lengths but is probably camera perspective.

My uneducated eye says that car is pretty darn close IMO. I don't think for these TT things they should be allowed within 1/4 mile.

Either way I think this one falls more into the "no replacement for displacement" aspect of more power is more faster with respect to that power figure speed combo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretty fast when he's not slamming the brakes in the middle of a peloton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Nice riding. Kudos to Cory & team (assuming there is a team behind this!)

I have questions too. See below:

What skewers are those?

How close does a car behind a rider have to be to grant the first measurable benefit? Not expressing skepticism, just asking for curiosity and personal understanding.

I have never seen anyone have a follow car before at Moriarty, so there is a good chance that is just passing traffic. They have had motorcycle refs patrolling the race before, but I don’t remember any this year. If that was a follow car sitting that close, I want one next year as well.

Someone was saying his Instagram has a tag line of something like “best 60 minute power of 411 watts”. That probably has a lot to do with the result.
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I have never seen anyone have a follow car before at Moriarty, so there is a good chance that is just passing traffic.

Pretty sure that's his girlfriend, or at least it was someone he knew. Check the other photos from that day.

Don't see why follow cars would be prohibited... I'd always like one, but don't know anyone who'd wish to volunteer for that job... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
I have never seen anyone have a follow car before at Moriarty, so there is a good chance that is just passing traffic.

Pretty sure that's his girlfriend, or at least it was someone he knew. Check the other photos from that day.

It's the turnaround volunteer (note the cone in the car). He was told to follow the last rider in, though not given any instructions on how much distance to leave. We'll make sure to tell whoever is doing it next year to leave a bigger gap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Expect a couple more efforts for the 40km record next year. ;)

Any World Tour pros? I'm surprised that Lockwood beat it going by his history. He's good, but Simpson has a better record.

What do you mean when you say Simpson has a better record?
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better placings at Nationals the last two years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

ahh, got it. I wasn't thinking of that meaning of the word.
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [asgelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asgelle wrote:
rruff wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

It's the turnaround volunteer (note the cone in the car). He was told to follow the last rider in, though not given any instructions on how much distance to leave. We'll make sure to tell whoever is doing it next year to leave a bigger gap.

He? It was a woman and they had pics taken after. Very friendly anyway!

Last edited by: rruff: Sep 14, 22 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
rruff wrote:

ahh, got it. I wasn't thinking of that meaning of the word.

And I thought you meant his original pressing of Led Zeppelin II.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an impressive ride! I'm always amazed when someone goes for a record one day, misses it and then goes back and tries again the next day, that has to be such a challenge mentally.

What is that skinsuit? The sheer back is interesting, is it supposed to be super-aero or is it just cooler?

I saw someone posted earlier that the road had been repaved, is the course even faster now? Got any links to results?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Just did an internet search and saw zero mention of this [New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56]. Pretty sure this will be official unless something weird happens... ?
Lockwood tried on Sept 4 but missed George Simpson's 2021 record by ~20 sec. He came back the next day with better wind conditions and an extra 9 watts (392W at 6100 ft) and beat it by 36 sec!
Is 40km much different from 25 miles? Is there a USA National best for 25 miles? How come USA Cycling uses metric for this stuff?
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...-trial-record-378980
2018Marcin Bialoblocki NOPINZ42.58
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [toomanycats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toomanycats wrote:
What is that skinsuit? The sheer back is interesting, is it supposed to be super-aero or is it just cooler?
I saw someone posted earlier that the road had been repaved, is the course even faster now?

I mentioned earlier, Castelli BP3.3. Common suit, a few years old now.

I think it's a good choice for low Re# based on tests I've seen, and my personal experience too. Lots of trips. Initially I thought it wouldn't be ideal for him at that speed, but then remembered that the low air density at altitude makes it probably one of the best suits he could find. Re# number at 6100 ft and 33 mph is about the same as sea level 26 mph.

Course was old deteriorated asphalt until fairly recently. Lots of cracks. They'd resurfaced the north few miles awhile back with smooth chipseal. I think in 2019 they'd just done the rest in rough chipseal, and in 2021 they'd put a smooth layer on top. Even smooth chipseal isn't great, but it's faster than it's been in a long time.
Last edited by: rruff: Sep 15, 22 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: New 40k TT National Record! Cory Lockwood, 44:56... 53.4 km/hr, 33.2 mi/hr... Sept 5 Moriarty [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:

Yes, much faster in the UK. You have faster courses in the UK with a nice traffic assist. I think the traffic in Moriarty actually hurts since you will typically experience a lot more oncoming than passing vehicles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nevermind I found it!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Last edited by: jakesaunders: Sep 15, 22 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

Yes, much faster in the UK. You have faster courses in the UK with a nice traffic assist. I think the traffic in Moriarty actually hurts since you will typically experience a lot more oncoming than passing vehicles.

And, don't forget, they don't do 180 deg turns around cones and most turns and all turn-arounds are done at traffic circles. Much less scrubbing of speed and heavy accelerations to get back up to speed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next