Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
super_6 wrote:
Anyone else having issues with delivery dates?
Ordered mine 2 weeks ago at my LBS and delivery date changed from next week to January - grey black model size 58.

Hopefully is just a mistake...

I was just inquiring about ordering a P5 Disc, Black/ Graphite and was told they're discontinuing the black/grey color for the P5 disc!! And there is a name change announcement due out from Cervelo this afternoon. Not kidding.

Going by the website, there are only 4 triathlon bikes:

P5 (disc version only)
P3 (rim brake only)
P2 (rim only)
P3X (disc only)
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
super_6 wrote:
Anyone else having issues with delivery dates?
Ordered mine 2 weeks ago at my LBS and delivery date changed from next week to January - grey black model size 58.

Hopefully is just a mistake...

I was just inquiring about ordering a P5 Disc, Black/ Graphite and was told they're discontinuing the black/grey color for the P5 disc!! And there is a name change announcement due out from Cervelo this afternoon. Not kidding.

Going by the website, there are only 4 triathlon bikes:

P5 (disc version only)
P3 (rim brake only)
P2 (rim only)
P3X (disc only)

It looks like Cervelo ditched the P5X !?!
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The P5X is joining the P4 and both will now only exist in the upside-down reseller dimension....
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not in the mood to read through 44 pages of comments, so will any of you new P5 Disc owners who race 70.3's/Fulls comment on how you've been able to race with the relative lack of hydration storage? Thanks in advance

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm ordering my P5 disc shortly. My bike hydration plan for 140.6 is similar to what I have now on my P3. I'll have a BTA bottle holder, which P5 cockpit has a spot specifically for a BTA cage. On my P3 now, based on quick and dirty outside tests, I'm faster with the a bottle in between my arms. 1 bottle behind the seat, and the 500ml (17 oz) aero bottle on the down tube. I'll have one spare tube, co2 cartridge and adapter taped underneath the seat. I usually stow the tire level and valve extender (in case front tube flats) in the side of the bento box. The tube I keep under the seat has a short stem, cause usually it's the back that flats and I run a disc.

As for that I'll have in the bottles are concentrated nutrition (Infinit) in BTA and downtube (2 hours nutrition for ea bottle), and pure water in the back cage. With aid stations being approx every 15 miles, this set up is aero and more than enough. I'll also have gels, clif shots and a bar in my bento box and tucked into the back pockets of my tri suit as back-up in case I lose a nutrition bottle. Full hydration/ nutrition/ spare repair set with very minimal aero penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will race the new P5d just like my old P5. I really don't see any lack of hydration/storage.

I did make a big modification, for the positive I think, by turning the aero bottle that is hard to use into a flat kit. So, I now have a BTA and 2 behind the saddle. I have raced long course for many years and have always used 3 bottle - 1 Calorie bottle (900), 1 electrolyte drink, and a water BTA. It is the perfect set up for me. I then live off the course.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. Both those setups sound good. I feel like I’d at least try to like/use the aero bottle, but I guess that comes with time

No more Tri’s for me this year, so assuming I do bite the bullet and buy the P5, I’ll have plenty of time to figure my hydration setup out. That’s the main thing giving me reservations about the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a pic of your rear setup and “aero” tool kit

Thx.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the rear I have a Minoura 2 bottle holder that attaches to the seat rails. I took the aero water bottle and basically cut a flap out of the spine on the cage side of the water bottle, made a bubble wrap envelop, and put everything for my flat kit in there. Solid, tight, aero, and works very well. I could email you photos, but I’m not really sure what that would show.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(sorry if this was answered already, very hard to find in 45 pages and there's no search in a post, only across the whole forum)

Is it better from aero perspective to keep the downtube aero-bottle or to remove it and the cage altogether if you don't need it? i.e. does the aero bottle give advantage from airflow perspective?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s probably neutral

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan's article said the bottle on the down tube on that bike costs some watts.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys - has the product been released yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So after about 1200km on the Turbo with the P5 Disc I finally managed to get outside with it. And it feels quick....my legs not so much. But I feel that it is a massive improvement on my previous Triathlon bike, which was the Felt IA FRD.

Still a bit of adjustment to make, but it will do for the Race on Saturday. Very excited as my my last Half Ironman Distance having been in 2014.

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [alexne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice bike - what is your front end cable routing and where did you put the junction box with chargin port?
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [alexne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexne wrote:
So after about 1200km on the Turbo with the P5 Disc I finally managed to get outside with it. And it feels quick....my legs not so much. But I feel that it is a massive improvement on my previous Triathlon bike, which was the Felt IA FRD.

Still a bit of adjustment to make, but it will do for the Race on Saturday. Very excited as my my last Half Ironman Distance having been in 2014.

What size frame is that?
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Front end cabeling is beyond my expertise, but junction box sits at the back of the arm rest. See picture...not mine. just a stock picture.

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a size 56. I ve ridden different sizes of TT bikes, and I am 185cm of height

Cervelo P5 - Size 58
Cannondale Slice - Size 60
Felt IA FRD - Size 54
Cervelo P5 Disc - SIze 56

The original P5 was pretty good in fit size, but had to really go low at the front to make it work, and have relative long legs. The Slice was bought as I was looking for something different and more relaxing after knee injury. Felt IA FRD was setup to be really compact, short and fast. And as long as I stayed aero it worked beautifully, but when ever I stood up and didnt pay attention I banged my knee on the armpads.

So decided on Size 56 for the P5Disc, and although I cant stay in aero position for longer than 5mins on the Turbo.....outside I don't seem to have that problem with Aero Position being no problem. Only changes on the bike I did from the stock build, was changing wheels from Enve 5.6 to Enve 7.8, added a bottle cage on top of the bars, purchased a smaller garmin 130 to fit between handlebars, and changed armpads to profile design ones, as the Cervelo ones felt to open. I prefer being a little locked in with my arms.

Good thing is that Malibu Long Distance (70.3 Distance) bike course is flat, so just head down and pedal, the few slight rises should be able to power through hopefully. And then die slowly on the run, as I ve done a total of around 160km of running in past two months due to baby arrival, and I really suck at running as it is. :)

'

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had my P5D for about 3 weeks now and the front end seems to creak really bad during long rides? Anyone else experience this or wondering if it is a build issue from the shop I purchased it from.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had mine for about 8 weeks and I have done several 4-5 hour rides with nothing that you describe.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the consensus on tire size you P5 Disc owners are running? I know it can accommodate 28's, but thought maybe 25's would be better

Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no creaks or noise from mine at all - i would get yours looked at
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
What's the consensus on tire size you P5 Disc owners are running? I know it can accommodate 28's, but thought maybe 25's would be better

What wheels are you running? If you are aiming for the fastest setup from an aerodynamic standpoint you don’t want the tires to balloon wider than the rim

Good reading:
https://www.google.com/...namics%3fhs_amp=true

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:

What wheels are you running? If you are aiming for the fastest setup from an aerodynamic standpoint you don’t want the tires to balloon wider than the rim

Good reading:
https://www.google.com/...namics%3fhs_amp=true

ENVE 7.8’s

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enve states “ SES 7.8 Disc has been aerodynamically optimized around fast rolling 25mm tires.”. So I would go with 25mm tires. Given the 19mm internal width I’d guess most 25mm tires would maybe balloon out to ~27ish mm on this rim which would mate well with the 27.5-29mm external width of them.

Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next