Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK a new simpler top mount bottle solution to allow narrow arm position.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [arenarob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about this too. For those of you whom have this bike already and maybe taken it out for a IM race... have you loaded this up and be "ironman capable"? Everything I read about the bike is it nimble, fast, road bike like...but maybe isn't really designed to be efficient for carrying enough fuel for ironman. I think it'd be a capable 70.3 bike, since I typically carry 3 bottles and gels for my 56 ride and don't need to to stop at aid stations, but IM is a slightly different type of ride and I find I need to refill/replace bottles as I go, not to mention I the spare kit. Granted I could go tubeless...but that's a different conversation than "can I load this bike up with enough fuel for IM and still keep the aero advantages cervelo claims?"
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [spectrum5825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spectrum5825 wrote:
I'm curious about this too. For those of you whom have this bike already and maybe taken it out for a IM race... have you loaded this up and be "ironman capable"? Everything I read about the bike is it nimble, fast, road bike like...but maybe isn't really designed to be efficient for carrying enough fuel for ironman. I think it'd be a capable 70.3 bike, since I typically carry 3 bottles and gels for my 56 ride and don't need to to stop at aid stations, but IM is a slightly different type of ride and I find I need to refill/replace bottles as I go, not to mention I the spare kit. Granted I could go tubeless...but that's a different conversation than "can I load this bike up with enough fuel for IM and still keep the aero advantages cervelo claims?"

I’m hoping to have a rear storage box solution for the p5d in the next few weeks. Looking for p5d owners in the San Francisco Bay Area to take some measurements off of.

Yann

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Spectrum,
I raced Santa Rosa on this and worked great. Definitely not as much storage as the p5x or p3x but ample amount. They say the p5x and p3x are more long distance 70.3-IM distance and p5d is 70.3 or shorter. Wasn't able to fit everything nutritionally I needed so just used my bike special needs bag. I had the bike shop convert the aero bottle for spare kits and then put a bottle on the handlebars and behind the saddle. I fit I think 4-5 gels in the bento. I rely on aid stations after my two bottles... I like it cause its not the extra weight of carrying an extra bottle and don't have to worry about stopping and refilling bottles as Im fine with Gatorade. To "load this bike up" really depends on how you are doing it. If you are taping gels and have three bottles, spare kit, etc than I would probably go for the p3x. If I remember correctly CervĂŠlo claims this bike is faster with the bento removed and just the aero bottle. If you put the bento and put bottles on it then the p3x is faster. Marginally speaking so its really up to you. If you want a lighter, double diamond bike that's agile than get a p5d. IF you want more storage, more integration, little heaver, and up for a beam bike than go for the p3x or p5x.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11645943 https://www.instagram.com/timeforicecream/
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [DylanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DylanD wrote:
Hey Spectrum,
I raced Santa Rosa on this and worked great. Definitely not as much storage as the p5x or p3x but ample amount. They say the p5x and p3x are more long distance 70.3-IM distance and p5d is 70.3 or shorter. Wasn't able to fit everything nutritionally I needed so just used my bike special needs bag. I had the bike shop convert the aero bottle for spare kits and then put a bottle on the handlebars and behind the saddle. I fit I think 4-5 gels in the bento. I rely on aid stations after my two bottles... I like it cause its not the extra weight of carrying an extra bottle and don't have to worry about stopping and refilling bottles as Im fine with Gatorade. To "load this bike up" really depends on how you are doing it. If you are taping gels and have three bottles, spare kit, etc than I would probably go for the p3x. If I remember correctly CervĂŠlo claims this bike is faster with the bento removed and just the aero bottle. If you put the bento and put bottles on it then the p3x is faster. Marginally speaking so its really up to you. If you want a lighter, double diamond bike that's agile than get a p5d. IF you want more storage, more integration, little heaver, and up for a beam bike than go for the p3x or p5x.

Thanks that helps give some really good first hand perspective. I HAD a p5x until a car decided to run it (and me over). There wasn't as many options out there when I bought it and now I seem to have limitless possibilities. I am leaning towards just replacing with a p3x/p5x because I am used to it and know exactly how to carry what I want for race day at this point...but the p5d is so sexy looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Ironman Zurich last weekend and the bike was fantastic. I’m light (64kg) so I didn’t want a heavy bike and the P5D was worth every cent on the climbs and flats plus the disc brakes were exceptional in the rain we had over the first 3 hours. I get the benefit of storage on the P5X but my setup seemed to work.

What I had was a BTA bottle (for water), a rear bottle fitted with the X-Lab Aero Pouch (inc. 2x CO2, tire levers, spare tube and Allen key for the thru axle) and I swapped the Cervelo bottle for an XLab TT bottle.

Both the rear and TT bottles had Enervit in them (on course mix) which I topped up with GU flasks for Gels (1x on the bike and 2 on me) plus salt tablets in the small bento.

Overall it seemed to be ok and I’m not sure I’d change it again if I go 140.6 miles.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [matt_aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you who have traveled with the bike, how did it go? did any of you have a hard case? how did the dismantling go?
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [erikssen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've travelled on flights with the bike twice using the BikeboxAlan Tri Easy Fit Hard Case both times.

I have to say it is brilliant!!! The wheels come off and go in first and all I have to do from there is take off the derailleur, tie everything down with the straps provided and away you go.

Weight wise, it came in at 22.5kgs at the airport with the P5D and a track pump loaded in.

Here's a link to the box... https://bikeboxalan.com/...yfit/?v=796834e7a283

and a video with one of the Sky riders packing his bike... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QOhrBypJf0
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [matt_aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matt_aus wrote:
I've travelled on flights with the bike twice using the BikeboxAlan Tri Easy Fit Hard Case both times.

I have to say it is brilliant!!! The wheels come off and go in first and all I have to do from there is take off the derailleur, tie everything down with the straps provided and away you go.

Weight wise, it came in at 22.5kgs at the airport with the P5D and a track pump loaded in.

Here's a link to the box... https://bikeboxalan.com/...yfit/?v=796834e7a283

and a video with one of the Sky riders packing his bike... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QOhrBypJf0

thank you very much, this bikebox looked perfect, i have the old bikebox alan, but it did not tempt much to disassemble the P5d and put it in that one,
also has a softcase but many airlines do not accept this. i will order a tribikebox alan asap :)
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [erikssen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erikssen wrote:
you who have traveled with the bike, how did it go? did any of you have a hard case? how did the dismantling go?

I have a Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 and i doesn´t dismantling nothing on my bike

Cervelo P5d and R5 Owner

Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [caodecaca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caodecaca wrote:
erikssen wrote:

I assume yours is the triathlon version, yes? Do you have any concerns of the handlebars being damaged from a side impact?? I had thought about getting this case, probably will, but that was my concern. Was trying to think of a way to build some sort of brace to put over the bars to protect against impacts....
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
caodecaca wrote:
erikssen wrote:

I assume yours is the triathlon version, yes? Do you have any concerns of the handlebars being damaged from a side impact?? I had thought about getting this case, probably will, but that was my concern. Was trying to think of a way to build some sort of brace to put over the bars to protect against impacts....

Yes it is the triathlon version.
I had the cervelo p5 and now the p5D.
I had version 2.0 of the bag and now i have 3.0. I had to sell the first bag because the new cervelo has disc brakes and is not compatible with thru axe.
I've done a total of 8 trips with both carry-on bags, but yes there are many side impacts and hit the brake levers. Because when I remove the bike from the bag, the brake levers are rotated. The conclusion that I draw is the impacts that the bag has on the side.
I usually protect this area very well with foam. So far, lucky or not, I never broke the handlebar and brake levers

Cervelo P5d and R5 Owner

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
caodecaca wrote:
erikssen wrote:

I have this bag aswell, but i fly a lot with lufthansa, and they dont allow softcases.
thats why i was intrested in hardcases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, like you say the P5disc is so sexy. I just pulled the trigger on the new all black dura ace version, but still when i look at the bike i wonder what makes it so sexy to me. I mean, it is uci legal and at first sight it looks like a ‘normal’ bike compared for example to the Diamonback Andean which i also own. But after 2 years that bike is done. The rear wheel flexes like hell. When i hold the saddle with one hand i can move the rear wheel like 3 to 4 cm’s to each side......

Hope this has a more stable rear triangle ;-)

Jeroen.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the new all black '20 model year, and it is very stiff. It is noticeably stiffer than the prior P5 (and much lighter). It is super responsive and handles better than any TT bike I have ever used.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
I have the new all black '20 model year, and it is very stiff. It is noticeably stiffer than the prior P5 (and much lighter). It is super responsive and handles better than any TT bike I have ever used.

Jack

Can’t wait to ride it. We have to wait for another 3 to 4 weeks heren in the EU...
Also curious about the DT swiss wheels

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the frame set and built it up SRAM AXS with EXAKT pedals and ENVE 7.8 wheels. Fell in love after 15min of riding...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
I got the frame set and built it up SRAM AXS with EXAKT pedals and ENVE 7.8 wheels. Fell in love after 15min of riding...

Put on a pic. Must be looking great.

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the pictures of the MY20 one it looks like the extensions are a lot higher than the ones on the MY19
I tried the later and found them too low; and because of the mono riser its not a quick or cheap fix to simply put new extensions on

Any feedback on the MY20 front end is much appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there is any difference. I have the s-bend and the mod ski slope version and they are super easy to change out (save the e-tap wiring).

Maybe I don't follow what you are seeing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at this pic; the extensions seem much higher
https://www.cervelo.com/en/p5

Vs
The MY19 one
https://www.sigmasports.com/...n-Frameset-2019/KZUU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, there are 3 extension choices so that is the high version. I have the mod and the s-bend. I am not sure if it is higher, as I don't ride that position.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I was reading something else and also saw that there were 3 choices available
It seems that they have gone from the stock 30 degree to 50 degree as OE spec
But as you say; you can always swap yourself...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
Thanks - I was reading something else and also saw that there were 3 choices available

It seems that they have gone from the stock 30 degree to 50 degree as OE spec
But as you say; you can always swap yourself...

I have the 30 degree. It came with bike.
But is extremely discomfortable, it's very low,.
I ordered the 50 degree extensions, I hope to solve the problem. But I'm already waiting for 3 months. I think that this bicycle of this value should bring the accessory EX10 Extension, allowing us to put a different aerobars.
I also made a complaining about the why CERVELO P5D 2019 have different extensions of 2020.

Cervelo P5d and R5 Owner

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you’ll be much more comfortable with the 50 degree bend extensions and an aftermarket angled wedge for tilt. Aero Coach dot UK makes some or you could find someone on the UK time trialing forums to 3d print you a set.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Aug 5, 19 3:44
Quote Reply

Prev Next