Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [AnthonyParis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AnthonyParis wrote:

New P5 is not only a P2 with mono riser cockpit ;)

True. But I bet he has a point. I'd speculate that if we ever get a wind tunnel test between a 'twitched-out NP2 and NP5, the NP5 would break out in all kinds of nervous sweat before maybe eking out a marginal victory.

Edit: Just using the theory of Peak Aero. No Cervelo-hate here.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 9, 18 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You ride a 2012 P2 and rave about all black Roka trisuits. Everything about you screams boring. And, I don't say that in an insulting way. Triathletes are boring. This has disc brakes and a monostem and its probably the fastest tri bike ever made or damn close. If it had a flimsy $20 bento "integrated" would that change your opinion?? Admittedly, I would like to see Cervelo make use of eitehr the top tube on downtube an integrated bento, but boring??? If fast is boring, then I'll take boring every time.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:

Side note, I really dig the yellow paint scheme on this years P5x. Looks way better than the black and red scheme. I’d ride it if I had the money to burn...

Both bikes look all kind of awesome after having my aesthetic sense recalibrated by the Shiv thread.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol you don’t even know me. Also, 2011*

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
In general, I’m kind of surprised companies are spending a lot of money and time designing, testing, creating new molds etc. Given that we’re at peak aero, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to pick a 10k bike vs a 3k one for most people. Add that to what had been, in general, a stagnant triathlon market. It just doesn’t seem that lucrative to spend all those resources to develop these new 5 figure bikes

I think I’d go the route of Trek. Continue to just put out the same solid bike you have been. If the tri market starts an upswing or if > say 75% of buyers start wanting discs then make the move which would be after all the growing pains of that shift have passed.

Exactly.......what he said!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not insulting you personally, but you clearly are conservative in your gear choices so I just think it’s ironic to call Cervelo boring

But I think we both probably agree that the average triathlete (not STer) wants a suped up, “loud”, “look at me” bike whether it is fast or not.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 9, 18 6:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I don't own a Cervelo, and may never, but I do have a legitimate question.........and I'm not trying to make this about disc brakes but since its in the subject......

I see the new mono-aero bar (could be kind of cool) but what is the fascination with disc brakes? I understand that if you have a road bike with disc wheels and you want to swap them out on your tri-bike, but I still don't understand disc brakes on tri-bikes. Like Trek stated....."we couldn't make a Speed Concept go faster with disc brakes"....so they didn't make one. If it doesn't make a bike faster, easier to wrench on, add size options, or maybe add convenient storage why do it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Two bikes pictured:

One (in yellow) being the 2019 P5x?

The other (all black) is the P5 disc?

Scott

Correct.

Side note, I really dig the yellow paint scheme on this years P5x. Looks way better than the black and red scheme. I’d ride it if I had the money to burn...

I said that when it came out. I hated how it looked with black and red. The green made the lines of it significantly better. I don’t have a reason to get one but I’d definitely be more inclined now than last year.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
why do it?

I think at this point mostly fear. Getting caught without one on the market if that's the way the market turns. The bike industry created this trend, but it can't control the monster - can't create a firewall at the TT bike. Some of the bigs have already committed to disc TT. There's (or was) probably some hand-wringing going on at Trek. Trek also said they didn't want disc brakes on the Madone. Well guess what.....
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I thought HED was doing the carbon work for the P5X?

HED does the frame. Enve does the fork and bar.

Ah, well it would make sense for Cervelo to stick with Enve especially considering it seems that Enve is providing the wheels as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
why do it?

I think at this point mostly fear. Getting caught without one on the market if that's the way the market turns. The bike industry created this trend, but it can't control the monster - can't create a firewall at the TT bike. Some of the bigs have already committed to disc TT. There's (or was) probably some hand-wringing going on at Trek. Trek also said they didn't want disc brakes on the Madone. Well guess what.....

And it makes the pro teams have one less hassle. I know it’s not a huge deal but having non-disc wheels for your TT bike and Disc for the others is just an added pain that doesn’t need to be there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: ppkestrel: Oct 9, 18 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [ppkestrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hideous.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the P5-X, not the new P5 Disc Brake.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
Here you go.

TT config, apparently for Dumoulin.

looks like the super slice with a monopost and a better paint job
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ppkestrel wrote:

Honestly the P5X looks world's better with that paint scheme.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
ppkestrel wrote:

Honestly the P5X looks world's better with that paint scheme.

Hmmm, to each their own I guess. I think it's fugly. If I was in the market for a P5X, I'd be looking hard for a 2018 red/black model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
Here you go.

Interesting picture, thanks

The front (integrated fork + stem + base-bar + mono post) is very similar to Cervelo T5GB. Significant progress from current P5, at least for TT use.
The back is also similar to T5GB, apart from the front diagonal cut.
Seat post also similar to T5GB.
BB Box is smaller than existing : for lower integration of an additional bento box (like on the P5X) ? will be a good news, especially if it goes also on future P3/P2...

Very elegant bike. Not yet UCI approved as per their last list publisher (30 august 2018), but will probably be.
Much less changes than on the Shiv tri disk. It will be interesting to get aero figures on comparable configs (speed, yaw, bottles, bento, ...) to compare P5 Rim and P5 Disk with others, like for exemple old and new Shiv Tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
Here you go.

HOT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL! Now that makes the new Shiv look like a Ferrari!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks really good, I wish I had a alpha one aerobar installed on my p4, that would look darn close with the benefit of not having disc brakes ;)

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sergio wrote:
That looks really good, I wish I had a alpha one aerobar installed on my p4, that would look darn close with the benefit of not having any brakes ;)

FTFY
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha good one, that rear brake does need a Lot of attention, probably the worse thing cervelo ever designed. Maybe an industrial design trainee developed that one

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Last edited by: sergio: Oct 9, 18 13:45
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s a guy on these forums that sells an adapter for the rear brake, so you can install a TriRig Omega.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
That is a bike I'd be prepared to put up with discs for
I had the same reaction
Quote Reply

Prev Next