Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New 100mile record
Quote | Reply
Bradley Wiggins hour record - 54.526kph for 1 hour, in controlled environment, fast surface, lots of training
Amateur - 54.5kph for 3 hours, on open roads.

Amateur Jonathan Shubert sets new 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours | Cyclist

The power output, before the power meter conked off, was 270W.

Even allowing for a tailwind and a presumably downhill course, does this look achievable at these kind of watts? What do you aero gurus have to say?

(I am also doing something very wrong, given the kind of speeds I am able to manage at 270W).

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Re: New 100mile record [guadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He had a 38.6 km/h tailwind and definitely getting sucked along by cars/trucks the entire way, still fairly impressive but Wiggins effort is far more impressive to me. The 2 efforts are not comparable imo.
Quote Reply
Re: New 100mile record [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
He had a 38.6 km/h tailwind and definitely getting sucked along by cars/trucks the entire way, still fairly impressive but Wiggins effort is far more impressive to me. The 2 efforts are not comparable imo.

Ya, GCN did a video on it back in November. They're calling it a record, but as I recall, they don't pretend it's the same as Wiggins. Just something cool to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9NMi0Td1XA
Last edited by: HardlyTrying: Feb 25, 21 4:53
Quote Reply
Re: New 100mile record [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Previous thread:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...der_3_hours_P7365880
Last edited by: HardlyTrying: Feb 25, 21 4:52
Quote Reply
Re: New 100mile record [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was already a ST topic on this a bit ago.

Consensus was "most folks here can't do that power for 3 hours" but also "it ain't that impressive".

I've always been of the opinion this "fringe" of the bike world stuff is interesting, but it's in bad faith to compare it to real records (yes, I realize this is an actual record kept by the UK TT scene). Same for the lady who "went" 300mph or something behind a dragster. I recall they got called out for way way over stating her power output for 3min to get up to speed (they quoted a power way higher than a men's kilo champion).

So......all this "Guinness" style stuff........fun, but grain of salt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, i didnt notice the date of the event and didnt realize it was that old. Thanks for that - will also check out the older discussion.

40kph wind ought to do the trick, i reckon....

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nitpick: Victor Campenaerts holds the hour record or am I missing why Wiggins’ is more impressive.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guadzilla wrote:
Bradley Wiggins hour record - 54.526kph for 1 hour, in controlled environment, fast surface, lots of training

Even allowing for a tailwind and a presumably downhill course, does this look achievable at these kind of watts? What do you aero gurus have to say?

(I am also doing something very wrong, given the kind of speeds I am able to manage at 270W).

What's your point?

Are you saying he's lying and set it all up.

Are you suggesting the slowtwitch crew have a better understanding of aero than one of the top UK timetrailists?

Are you suggesting it's not a record because what exactly?

Ignorance is bliss I guess!
Quote Reply
Re: New 100mile record [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
guadzilla wrote:

What's your point?

Are you saying he's lying and set it all up.

Are you suggesting the slowtwitch crew have a better understanding of aero than one of the top UK timetrailists?

Are you suggesting it's not a record because what exactly?

Ignorance is bliss I guess!

You can call anything a record if you want to, doesn't mean the public has to attend the awards ceremony and shoot the confetti.

For me it falls under the "cool stupid human tricks" kind of thing. No, I can't wrap my legs behind my head like a pretzel and do wall press pushups. Kudos to the person who can.

I just think that despite it being a type of record UK TT recognizes, there are so many variables that it makes it impossible to grasp.

Let's say NC gets a hurricane. Typical wind direction on approach for the I-40 is SE. They evacuate. Everyone is gone from the road. Winds get up to 40+ mph headed pan arrow straight up I-40 and you say "ahh, screw it, let's have a go". Assuming the 'cane is wide enough, that wind direction ain't gonna change much from SE in 100 miles.

I can't see how I'm supposed to take that seriously outside of Guinness style records.

Give em a Guinness record for good planning and the courage (stupidity?) to ride a gale tailwind with interstate traffic. Makes no difference to me how "legit" the dude was before the attempt.
Quote Reply
Re: New 100mile record [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
There was already a ST topic on this a bit ago.

Consensus was "most folks here can't do that power for 3 hours" but also "it ain't that impressive".

I've always been of the opinion this "fringe" of the bike world stuff is interesting, but it's in bad faith to compare it to real records (yes, I realize this is an actual record kept by the UK TT scene). Same for the lady who "went" 300mph or something behind a dragster. I recall they got called out for way way over stating her power output for 3min to get up to speed (they quoted a power way higher than a men's kilo champion).

So......all this "Guinness" style stuff........fun, but grain of salt.

It’s not so much fringe. TT’ing in the uk is huge for us. It’s a massive sport here but most events are in an outdoors, open environment with traffic. It’s just how it is and that’s why the records are the way they are. One exception is that our events have to have the start and finish points within a mile or so but this record was point to point which is unusual.

I can kinda relate to this as I hold a course record on a local 5 mile tt course whereby I covered the race distance in 8 mins 38 seconds but I know the wind I had that night was outrageously favourable and I could never hold that speed on a course conventionally.
Quote Reply
Re: New 100mile record [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:

It’s not so much fringe. TT’ing in the uk is huge for us.

but this record was point to point which is unusual.

I find the fact of doing point to point records as fringe. Not TT as fringe. I totally know that part of the world is the cradle of civilization for TT.

I deem it fringe when records allow for wildly differing outside influences to affect the outcomes. Such as huge tail winds, huge mountain descents for shorter records, 300mph motor paced desert bicycle runs, etc........

This one had a wildly differing outside influence or two I would say.
Quote Reply
Re: New 100mile record [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
UK Gearmuncher wrote:

It’s not so much fringe. TT’ing in the uk is huge for us.

but this record was point to point which is unusual.

I find the fact of doing point to point records as fringe. Not TT as fringe. I totally know that part of the world is the cradle of civilization for TT.

I deem it fringe when records allow for wildly differing outside influences to affect the outcomes. Such as huge tail winds, huge mountain descents for shorter records, 300mph motor paced desert bicycle runs, etc........

This one had a wildly differing outside influence or two I would say.

So what!

It's still a point to point record that's gives someone a challenge to break. I fail to see what it is about that there is a beef about?

It's was an incredible achievement. You could argue that any record set outside has some sort if influence, even down to the 100m on the track!

Get over yourselves congratulate the guy on an amazing record, or grow a set and try and beat it!
Quote Reply