Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New (to me) P4, Critique my bike fit
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitch!
I'm a long time lurker, I just purchase a bike from a fellow Slowtwitcher (thanks Clutch Cargo!).

I'm pretty excited about getting this bike setup. I was hoping to get some feedback on the bike fit. I did get a professional fit on my previous bike (that was several years ago though) and tried to transfer those numbers over as much as possible.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated..

Thank you!
-l

Quote Reply
Re: New (to me) P4, Critique my bike fit [locoloborojo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seat looks too high to me for a start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You look scrunched up. Do you have a longer stem you can try? Is this the same reach you had on your previous bike?

Edit: try putting elbows on the pads and see how it feels.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Nov 24, 19 15:49
Quote Reply
Re: New (to me) P4, Critique my bike fit [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Here is version 2, I lowered the seat by 10mm, extended the extensions by 5mm, and moved the seat back by 5mm to try to make more room.

I also put my elbows on the pads.

I can't extent the extensions any more, nor can I change out the stem (51 speedshop bars).

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
-l

Last edited by: locoloborojo: Nov 24, 19 17:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not an expert, but based off advice given to others , I would drop the saddle another cm and slide the saddle forward at least that much. You look just a bit stretched out up front so that should take care of that as well. You may need to bring the front end down after all that, but can be determined later.
Quote Reply
Re: New (to me) P4, Critique my bike fit [H2Owings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still think your saddle is too high, lower that first and then focus on the reach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Genuine question here.... What is the thought process on the arm angle. I guess I thought that the upper arm should be more perpendicular to the ground as to support the body weight better, and then provide more long term comfort. But with me having zero bike fit experience, I am most likely completely wrong. Just wondering what the idea is for this, and I figure it could help OP as well.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New (to me) P4, Critique my bike fit [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the idea is to have upper arms perpendicular to the plane of the torso (greater trocanter to shoulder). Few mortals get their torsos completely parallel to the ground, which would equate to what you ask about upper arm position. I find when my elbows are closer to my stomach (upper arms more perpendicular to the ground than to my torso) I feel strain in the front of my shoulders.

To my eye, the OP's 1st video has his elbows a bit close to his saddle. The 2nd are a bit far away.

But as to whether to put elbows all the way on the pads or not - I wonder if this comes down to elbow shape? Some people have 1 prominent elbow bone visible in their bent arms. Some have 2. I have 2 and don't find it comfortable to have my entire elbow on the pad. Mine rest so 1 boney prominence is on, the other boney prominance is just behind the pad. I wonder whether those who don't naturally plant their elbows on the pads have elbows like mine...

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: New (to me) P4, Critique my bike fit [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

I really appreciate your help!

I dropped the seat by 15mm (not sure how it got so far off, I think the different length cranks threw things off). I'm now putting my arms on the pads in a way that feels more natural.

Here is the latest.

Thank you!!
Last edited by: locoloborojo: Nov 25, 19 14:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the bike is too small for you. You need to get more foward to rotate your hips more so your back isnt so curled and to do this you will need more natrual reach in the bike frame. It looks like that would be hard to stay that way for a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that your normal cadence?

It appears to be around 50
Quote Reply
Re: New (to me) P4, Critique my bike fit [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@MrTri123 Not my normal cadence. I slowed it down to make it easier to see the legs moving.

@GZMAN Thanks for noticing this. Something seems off and I can't quite place it. The hip angle seems pretty closed, I think this is related to what you're saying. I could move the pads forward and also the seat forward some?

edit: I tried to move the pads forward and that was no good. On second thought maybe the reach is OK and I just have a curved type back? In looking at other people with good fit I see that the pads are not too far forward of their shoulders. Looking at my fit, I just do not have a long torso and the pads already look forward enough.

I'm about 5'6" and this is a size small, so it seems like it should fit..
Last edited by: locoloborojo: Nov 25, 19 17:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mate,

Try slide more forward on the saddle and maybe shorten your stem. Try get the elbow angle more under your shoulders so you are making close to 90 degrees at shoulder joint and elbow joint.
Quote Reply
Re: New (to me) P4, Critique my bike fit [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually think your original position is the best of all your videos, you just had the saddle a touch high. Front of that fit looks good mate, just go back to the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5’5”. I thought you were taller from the photo. I use 155 cranks. This allows you to raise the seat 1.5cm which lowers your knee height by 3cm opening up your hip angle because your upstroke is 1.5cm lower and you raised the seat.
Quote Reply
Re: New (to me) P4, Critique my bike fit [GZMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the 155mm cranks that came with this bike (I was running 165mm before, and this seems to allow for a more comfortable position).

I raised the seat by 1cm going from 165 to 155, but maybe somehow that came out wrong.

I just tried moving the seat forward (per Gilliga's comment) and I think that was the ticket (along with the lower seat per previous comments).

Thanks again for all your help!

Cheers!
-l
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My2cents

From the videos I would say something between the the first video and the second

Once you get some time on the road in aero you will finalize the pad placement and angle.

Get comfortable with the saddle height and the way you sit on the saddle then the front end will fall into place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
locoloborojo wrote:
I just tried moving the seat forward (per Gilliga's comment) and I think that was the ticket (along with the lower seat per previous comments).-l

You look fine in all the videos to me. A lot of it comes down to preference... and what is most aero. Your head and shoulder posture looks great; back and shoulder angle look good too. Lowering the saddle will close your hips so that might be some of what you are experiencing.

If you have a lot of time in your old position, you should be very careful about moving the saddle around as knee issues can crop up which usually take some time to develop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think you need to sit on your saddle differently. roll your hips forward. i think your ''fit'' is ok but your posture is sub-optimal.
Quote Reply