Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used this new device for transmitting treadmill speed, cadence & grade yet? I saw that DC Rainmaker had a decent review, but I'd like to hear from anyone else how it has been working.

I've lost faith in my speed/cadence sensors for my shoes and currently use an app to transmit speed for indoor Zwift running. This device would take away the pain of adjusting the speed on the treadmill and then on the app as well.

https://npe-inc.com/...rt-treadmill-sensor/

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the detailed info your looking for, but there was a brief discussion about it a little over a week ago....

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7115367#p7115367
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Has anyone used this new device for transmitting treadmill speed, cadence & grade yet? I saw that DC Rainmaker had a decent review, but I'd like to hear from anyone else how it has been working.

I've lost faith in my speed/cadence sensors for my shoes and currently use an app to transmit speed for indoor Zwift running. This device would take away the pain of adjusting the speed on the treadmill and then on the app as well.

https://npe-inc.com/...rt-treadmill-sensor/


Yes. I installed one on our treadmill last week. So far it is working as advertised.

Long term we’ll see how it works out. There is no indicator for charge level so I could see that being a PITA surprise. I’m going to try to set it up with a usb daily timer charge.

Here is the smarttrainer review:

We’ve been using Stryd’s and thought the mill was way off. The Runn measures it pretty close to indicated speed so I guess we’ll have to use calibration on the stryd for treadmill runs.

I picked up a Wahoo Gem Retro when they first came out. Our treadmill supports it, but because we thought it was reading low I took it off. Now I just may go back to the Gem as it is powered by treadmill c-safe port. NPE bought Gem from Wahoo and now sell and support them.
Last edited by: SummitAK: Jan 9, 20 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:

We’ve been using Stryd’s and thought the mill was way off. The Runn measures it pretty close to indicated speed so I guess we’ll have to use calibration on the stryd for treadmill runs.

i have two stryds... the older model is always so far off the treadmill i figured either the stryd was messed up or no treadmill was ever right.

i purchased one of the new stryds (with wind compensation) and wouldnt you know it... the new stryd is super close to treadmill speeds.

and here i was, thinking the stryd was calibrated out of the box like they claimed and their sales pitch that treadmills are so much "off" we cant trust them.

'21 Captex Tri / Lubbock 70.3 / IM Cozumel
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
SummitAK wrote:


We’ve been using Stryd’s and thought the mill was way off. The Runn measures it pretty close to indicated speed so I guess we’ll have to use calibration on the stryd for treadmill runs.


i have two stryds... the older model is always so far off the treadmill i figured either the stryd was messed up or no treadmill was ever right.

i purchased one of the new stryds (with wind compensation) and wouldnt you know it... the new stryd is super close to treadmill speeds.

and here i was, thinking the stryd was calibrated out of the box like they claimed and their sales pitch that treadmills are so much "off" we cant trust them.

I don't have a stryd (or a runn), I just have a garmin footpod. I know my TM is off by ~1 mpm at my everyday pace ranges: 7:30 - 9:00. I set my TM for 9:00 and 2.5*. I get 8:00 on my footpod, and the same HR I get outside (at the same air temp), and the same RPE. Gym / Hotel TM's are better, but its still common that i will see ~30s pace error.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
SummitAK wrote:

We’ve been using Stryd’s and thought the mill was way off. The Runn measures it pretty close to indicated speed so I guess we’ll have to use calibration on the stryd for treadmill runs.

i have two stryds... the older model is always so far off the treadmill i figured either the stryd was messed up or no treadmill was ever right.

i purchased one of the new stryds (with wind compensation) and wouldnt you know it... the new stryd is super close to treadmill speeds.

and here i was, thinking the stryd was calibrated out of the box like they claimed and their sales pitch that treadmills are so much "off" we cant trust them.

We also sold our earlier generation Stryd’s and upgraded to the latest model with the wind sensor. My wife has a funky leg swing so it could be that, but I run pretty normal and mine is off too. With the new Runn set up we’ll do some experimenting to try and get things sorted.

Running Runn and Zwift calibrations this morning the Runn shoes the treadmill going a few tenths a mph than the treadmill reading/setting. The Stryd shows it really slow. I feel for my wife who did a Zwift Academy 5k and ramped the treadmill way up to hit her goal. She might have run it a lot faster than the stryd indicated!
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it track elevation, or no?
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue with my treadmill at home.


I run on two treadmills with the stryd; one at work and one at home. The one at work is within .1 of what Zwift says I'm running. The one at home is at least .6 of a mile off from what Zwift says I'm running. I've compared the power output at each speed and I'm leaning to think that my treadmill at home is off and the footpod works fine. It just sucks that for me to run at an 7:30 pace I've got to run sub 7.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I have the same issue with my treadmill at home.


I run on two treadmills with the stryd; one at work and one at home. The one at work is within .1 of what Zwift says I'm running. The one at home is at least .6 of a mile off from what Zwift says I'm running. I've compared the power output at each speed and I'm leaning to think that my treadmill at home is off and the footpod works fine. It just sucks that for me to run at an 7:30 pace I've got to run sub 7.


1. Mark your treadmill belt
2. Measure the length of the belt by rotating and measuring until you get to the mark again.
3. Set a speed on the controller, Count Revolutions per time of the belt
4. Convert to Feet per second, then convert to miles per hour
5. Compare to speed treadmill was set at.

Advanced:
Have someone else do this while you're running on the treadmill.

The above poster is a physiologist employed by PEARL iZUMi. However, statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of PEARL iZUMI in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or....put bike wheel on treadmill with calibrated speed sensor.

the advanced version might be a bit more tricky though. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose this only makes sense to buy if you actually own a treadmill right? You can't carry this around and stick it on one at the gym? Can't imagine the market is that big for this product if their customer base is limited to treadmill owners. Would there be a way to attach to different treadmills via a magnet or something?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
I suppose this only makes sense to buy if you actually own a treadmill right? You can't carry this around and stick it on one at the gym? Can't imagine the market is that big for this product if their customer base is limited to treadmill owners. Would there be a way to attach to different treadmills via a magnet or something?

Are you kidding me? Treadmills owned at home are VERY popular, one if if not the most popular piece of home exercise equipment.

Coupled with Zwift and other up and coming run software, this would kill it at the current price point if it works well (given that literally the only other reasonable option as an add-on TM tracker is the Stryd.)

They'll do fine even if limited to home TM owners so long as the thing works and doesn't break quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Does it track elevation, or no?

Bluetooth - Yes. I see elevation in Zwift, Garmin Connect, and Strava. I verified this via connection to an Android phone as well as connecting through the Companion app to a laptop.

Ant+ - No. I do not see elevation in Zwift, Garmin Connect, nor Strava. I tested via ant+ connection to a Windows laptop.

This is consistent with the NPE page as it only mentions bluetooth for incline.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I have the same issue with my treadmill at home.


I run on two treadmills with the stryd; one at work and one at home. The one at work is within .1 of what Zwift says I'm running. The one at home is at least .6 of a mile off from what Zwift says I'm running. I've compared the power output at each speed and I'm leaning to think that my treadmill at home is off and the footpod works fine. It just sucks that for me to run at an 7:30 pace I've got to run sub 7.

Honest question - why does it even matter? Presumably, if you're using a Stryd footpod you've established power zones and are pacing by power. At that point, why does it matter if the TM is accurate or off by a few tenths?
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been using the Runn for a few days now. I have a Sole F80 so when I hit 10.0 for example I dont know exactly how long it takes to ramp up. Now I'm using with Zwift and seeing the actual speed as it increases and then reaches that level. My 15% incline only goes up to 12% according to Runn, probably accurate. I really like that elevation data is on my Zwift Strava now so I get credit for all the climbs. I set 0 at 1% so the Runn app shows 0% treadmill as -1, however Zwift/strava stats dont show decline so my file just shows a constantly growing slope, even if I go down. Overall really happy to have accurate speed, ditching my old milestone pod.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting!

Do you think this would work on a woodway? Am worried about the adhesives sticking on the slat style decks...

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [AMC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure, my F80 is a 2012 model. Attached a photo, you can see a sticker on the belt. None of them have come off so far..
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I have the same issue with my treadmill at home.


I run on two treadmills with the stryd; one at work and one at home. The one at work is within .1 of what Zwift says I'm running. The one at home is at least .6 of a mile off from what Zwift says I'm running. I've compared the power output at each speed and I'm leaning to think that my treadmill at home is off and the footpod works fine. It just sucks that for me to run at an 7:30 pace I've got to run sub 7.

Honest question - why does it even matter? Presumably, if you're using a Stryd footpod you've established power zones and are pacing by power. At that point, why does it matter if the TM is accurate or off by a few tenths?

Because velocity is part of the formula for calculating running power. These pods aren’t like cycling power meter that measure power. Checking the treadmill vs, stryd this evening the stryd was reading over 30 seconds per mile slower than the runn and the treadmill so power will be lower than actual.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a Stryd for a few reasons but one is I have a treadmill at home but also run at the gym and I wanted some sort of baseline to make sure I was able to run the same effort/power with each treadmill.

Not speaking for the poster but knowing the speed difference between treadmills is important because for a while I put my speed to like .5 slower to run at the speed I wanted. 8 mph was really 7.5 mph on my treadmill. So knowing that made it easier to pace runs even with power. But I’m sure the more and more I use power will mean the less and less I care about pace, especially on the treadmill.

My Blog - Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't care about speed since I got the footpod. Like someone posted above, I typically run based on power. I could care less about how fast I'm going now.

But here is where I'm struggling and let me see if I can make it make sense.....
- The treadmill at home (that is off ~.6 of a mile) seems harder to run on at the same power as the treadmill at work. Basically 7.0 at home and at work seems the same but my power is off by 20 watts which is what I would expect it to be since it's actually going slower. The point I'm trying to get to is that the treadmill at home is harder to run on even though it's going slower. I can't just jack it up to 8.5 if I want to run at 8. Maybe it's mental, but my wife thinks the same thing. I'm confused.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...

What's the speed, power, hr, incline, and cadence on the two at the same rpe?
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:

Because velocity is part of the formula for calculating running power. These pods aren’t like cycling power meter that measure power. Checking the treadmill vs, stryd this evening the stryd was reading over 30 seconds per mile slower than the runn and the treadmill so power will be lower than actual.

The Stryd doesn't get data from your treadmill or the Runn or any other speed sensing device, so your treadmill being inaccurate has no bearing on whether or not the Stryd is accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
SummitAK wrote:

Because velocity is part of the formula for calculating running power. These pods aren’t like cycling power meter that measure power. Checking the treadmill vs, stryd this evening the stryd was reading over 30 seconds per mile slower than the runn and the treadmill so power will be lower than actual.

The Stryd doesn't get data from your treadmill or the Runn or any other speed sensing device, so your treadmill being inaccurate has no bearing on whether or not the Stryd is accurate.

I think the data source part is obvious. What you’re thinking about wrong is if the stryd is off on treadmill runs then your power is off. If you are running on the treadmill and stryd calculated you are going 8 mph, but the treadmill is actually going a confirmed 8.5mph then the stryd power calculation is wrong. I think that should be pretty easy to understand but I guess not for the posters above that clearly find an RPE difference between treadmills while running at the same “power”. My stryd is reads slower than my confirmed treadmill pace so without a calibration change to the stryd my power will read low. Again no direct measurement like bike powermeters. Everything is calculated.

My wife has her own latest gen stryd and gets the same results as I do. We were early stryd adopters and have been training and racing with them for over two years. They work great outside so I’m not sure what the issue is with it on the treadmill. On the stryd power users FB page I have seen others post about having the same result. The last one I saw had a 10% treadmill difference vs. spot on track confirmed accuracy outside. I suspect difference is treadmill power, belt and deck friction, deck damping, etc all factor in to foot strike and recovery so each treadmill may look a little different to stryd. I know I run different on the treadmill than outside.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be more inclined to believe the Styd than the treadmill or even the Runn. The Stryd doesn't measure speed, it measures acceleration. Ask yourself why the Stryd might be reading lower than a treadmill or a Runn. The thing that most people don't realize is that a treadmill belt slows down with each footstrike as your weight pushes down on the belt against the deck. If you haven't lubed the belt/deck in a while, or if the treadmill has a lower power motor that doesn't have the torque to keep a steady speed, then the "actual" speed you'll be running on the treadmill (the belt speed while your feet are in contact with the belt/deck) will be a fair bit lower than the speed the belt is moving when it's unloaded. I find it implausible that the Stryd would somehow be inaccurately measuring acceleration data at the foot while on a treadmill vs. outdoors. It has no idea what surface you're running on - it just know how fast your foot is accelerating/deccelerating.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I really don't care about speed since I got the footpod. Like someone posted above, I typically run based on power. I could care less about how fast I'm going now.

But here is where I'm struggling and let me see if I can make it make sense.....
- The treadmill at home (that is off ~.6 of a mile) seems harder to run on at the same power as the treadmill at work. Basically 7.0 at home and at work seems the same but my power is off by 20 watts which is what I would expect it to be since it's actually going slower. The point I'm trying to get to is that the treadmill at home is harder to run on even though it's going slower. I can't just jack it up to 8.5 if I want to run at 8. Maybe it's mental, but my wife thinks the same thing. I'm confused.

Similar experience for me between work/home treadmills.
I think it comes down to how bouncy the treadmill is. The one at work is very stiff so I think I can run faster with less effort. The one at home is super bouncy and while I really like it for recovery runs, it sucks when doing any type of speed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next