New: TriRig Styx skewers
Quote | Reply
https://www.facebook.com/...99658166&sfns=

TC4 Titanium alloy, $85 plus shipping, 48G a set
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: May 15, 19 23:03
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apparently this is what they improve on. From tri rig Facebook post.

“shaping is better, no holes to disrupt wind, no fork damage due to dual orientation locks.”

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We aren't trying to copy or knock anyone else's product. Styx represent our vision of the ideal aero skewer. Lots of details coming soon :-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig improves view-speed skewers? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t wait to see what you come up with. My SO and I have used the view-speed skewers over the past few years on race days but the skewers have always struggled on my argon 18 Nitrogen Pro, Shiv tt, Cervelo T4 and her Felt DA2. I removed a little carbon from the Argon fork in Italy when the view-Speed locked up when trying to remove it too.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
We aren't trying to copy or knock anyone else's product. Styx represent our vision of the ideal aero skewer. Lots of details coming soon :-)

I think you have just gifted us with the Triathlon equivalent of this.

Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does it compare to a quick release skewer when needing to quickly change a flat at roadside?
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have allen key skewers on my tri-bike. takes about 5s extra. You're getting the flat kit out anyway, so the tool is right there.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
TriRig wrote:

hahaha. SO TRUE. thanks for this moment, TriRig
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
davetallo wrote:
TriRig wrote:

hahaha. SO TRUE. thanks for this moment, TriRig

this is awesome lolololol.

and ftr, I used the view-speed skewers last year and they worked great (would still be using them but have moved on to thru-axles)
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of light weight and aero parts, but I don't recommend this. Too much hassle. Debri got stuck between by tire and rear brake during the race and I had to drop the rear wheel to remove the debri. It could have been a lot of hassle if I had these skewers. I have Zipp titanium skewers which is light enough already. Not to mention, when you have to remove the front wheel to put the bike in your car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In TriRig's defense here, both Zipp and Control Tech (and I'm sure others I've forgotten) were selling this style of skewer back in the early 1990's... and neither of us had invented the thing.. as Hi-E had both bolt on and wing nut versions of this in the early 1970's.. and I can pretty much guarantee that Harlan hadn't invented the concept either.. as before Tulio Campagnolo invented the lever operated QR, ALL hubs had various forms of bolt on spindle and axle attachments.

From the perspective of somebody else who has both designed product as well as invented wholly unique things, this is not anybody copying anybody else, but rather TriRig entering a well established category with their unique take on the products in that category.

Here is Harlan Meyer's (HI-E) 'slow release' skewer from 1971. The spring pin is removable for optimum aero. If you aren't familiar with Harlan, you can see some images of his stuff here: https://gravelcyclist.com/...e-hi-e-cosmopolitan/
One of the first aluminum bicycles ever, featuring: press fit BB's, crank arms with oversized aluminum spindles, treadless headset with bearings press fit into the frame, cartridge bearing hubs, the precursor to the bayonet style fork and so much more.. easily 25 years ahead of his time and unfortunately for most of it, about as far ahead of the materials and manufacturing abilities of the era.

As an aside I was fortunate to know Harlan when I was a teenager, going into his nasty little shop was quite the experience and as a guy who had worked at a top secret missile development center for 30+ years (AEDC in Tennessee) he was full of stories and knowledge unlike anybody I had ever come across..

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$85 for a set of 2....

blog
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
From the perspective of somebody else who has both designed product as well as invented wholly unique things, this is not anybody copying anybody else, but rather TriRig entering a well established category with their unique take on the products in that category.
Thanks, Josh! I love it when you take us to school on all things bike-tech-related. Your encyclopedic knowledge is always a privilege to experience.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get it; nobody is reinventing the wheel...but man that Vanilla Ice comparison was just too good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind people making jokes. I just don't think it really fits here. Like when someone says that the Dimond or the P5-X "is just a remake of (insert name of any other beam bike)." That's really not a careful or honest view of the situation.

But sure, Vanilla Ice is funny, so if you think my skewers are just a View-Speed clone, don't buy them! Give your money to View-Speed instead. If you take a look, you'll see it's a completely different assembly type, different interface geometry, different aero shape, different interaction with your fork, etc. But yeah, "Under Pressure" haha.

But I think enough folks get the difference - we sold out of our first production batch in under 12 hours, which I expected to last for several months. New orders for Styx won't ship until early July now, we have to rush a new batch.

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: May 14, 19 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will buy the Styx even though I don't need them to beat all of you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, your well-known for your good sense of humor and humility. I don't think anyone here was accusing Tririg of infringing on someone else's IP. The product is hardly new. But, Tririg has created its own version of it. Nothing wrong with that. I've stated many times, Nick is the master of creating cool look stuff that triathlete just love to gobble up. Hardly surprising this sold out quickly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
the P5-X "is just a remake of …..

My son's trike

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anytime Vanilla Ice is involved, I say lean in.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Anytime Vanilla Ice is involved, I say lean in.

at the very least, one should stop, collaborate and listen...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
...But I think enough folks get the difference - we sold out of our first production batch in under 12 hours, which I expected to last for several months. New orders for Styx won't ship until early July now, we have to rush a new batch.

Nooo!! I was hoping to get at least a front for track nationals, the first week of July. :(
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which one's are you running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried to go on your site and preorder, but it wasn't clear where to do that... Can u pls add me or direct me how to go about that? Thx.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a special link just for our Newsletter subscribers. They will be officially launched soon.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next