Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Needed 30 Hr Challenge Ideas
Quote | Reply
Put your thinking caps on. I'm turning 30 at the end of the month and need a challenge to celebrate. First thing that came to my head was to run 30 miles and drink 30 beers in 30 hrs. Some guy on YouTube has already done it so it seems manageable.
But a 3 mile swim, 300k bike, and 30 mi run in 30 hrs sounded less painful and more beneficial for training. I will have IMAZ two weekends after.
A friend suggested Everesting which is ~29,000 feet. Then run the remain 1000 feet. But I sold my road bike a few years ago and rather not do that on a tri bike.
I wouldn't mind eating 30 slices of pizza or 30 burritos though. Any other ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Needed 30 Hr Challenge Ideas [hetron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried to search here for the article dan wrote on my 40th birthday adventure, but no luck with the search engine. But basically I did all the sports I had come to love in sets of 4/10/40 in a 40 hour time period. If I recall;

40 waves surfing
40x100meters swimming on 1;15 base
40k on velodrome @30mph with a 40mile sprint at end
40x400 running at 5;20 mile pace with 110 jog in-between
bench press my body weight 40 times in 4 minutes(160lbs)
Bowl 40 games, top 10 averaged 192, 183 average for all together(speed bowling) took 6 hours
400 pushups and 400 sit ups in-between games of bowling (sets of 40)
4 mile surf ski in 40 minutes
4 times in the sack with girlfriend(to completion, spread out throughout the 40 hours of course)
and then at a huge party I ate 40 ribs and drank 40 2oz shots of Guinness in 40 minutes

Might give you some ideas, mine was very logistically challenging, but I did have a better pro field doing different events with me than ironman had that year!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you like stupid challenges, the t-shirt mile might be a good one.

put on a t-shirt, run a quarter under a given time. put an another, run another.

x30, or until failure.

you'll need to find a lot of XXLs and XXXLs, presumably, for when you start getting up there towards 30. the current world record is up on youtube, i believe, somewhere north of 50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSlXMTW3K8Y

do you live anywhere hilly? my wife did a thing in the UK once called the 3-peaks challenge, where you had to climb the highest peaks in wales, england and scotland in 24 hours. maybe some version of that? X peaks in 30 hours? or 30 peaks in x hours?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Needed 30 Hr Challenge Ideas [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I tried to search here for the article dan wrote on my 40th birthday adventure, but no luck with the search engine. But basically I did all the sports I had come to love in sets of 4/10/40 in a 40 hour time period. If I recall;

40 waves surfing
40x100meters swimming on 1;15 base
40k on velodrome @30mph with a 40mile sprint at end
40x400 running at 5;20 mile pace with 110 jog in-between
bench press my body weight 40 times in 4 minutes(160lbs)
Bowl 40 games, top 10 averaged 192, 183 average for all together(speed bowling) took 6 hours
400 pushups and 400 sit ups in-between games of bowling (sets of 40)
4 mile surf ski in 40 minutes
4 times in the sack with girlfriend(to completion, spread out throughout the 40 hours of course)
and then at a huge party I ate 40 ribs and drank 40 2oz shots of Guinness in 40 minutes

Might give you some ideas, mine was very logistically challenging, but I did have a better pro field doing different events with me than ironman had that year!!

Love the creativeness. But the bold one might be a problem by 60!
Quote Reply
Re: Needed 30 Hr Challenge Ideas [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the creativeness. But the bold one might be a problem by 60! //

Have you seen my wife?? (-; No problem...

I remember when I did this, I knocked two out before I did any of the sports, knowing of course later on it was going to be more of a challenge. Knocked the other out after the first day in the evening, and put the final on hold, thinking it was just never going to happen. Low and behold, girlfriend said it has to be done, and just made it under the 40 hours...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the wife know about the girlfriend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30x 100 lap-pool swimming
30km soft ride with 30x30sec ON /30sec off at 120% FTP
30x400m run

then enjoy with the family :P
Quote Reply
Re: Needed 30 Hr Challenge Ideas [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
if you like stupid challenges, the t-shirt mile might be a good one.

put on a t-shirt, run a quarter under a given time. put an another, run another.

x30, or until failure.

you'll need to find a lot of XXLs and XXXLs, presumably, for when you start getting up there towards 30. the current world record is up on youtube, i believe, somewhere north of 50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSlXMTW3K8Y

This is shameless plug for a couple of mates.

The world record for the T-shirt challenge was bumped up to 60 last year by some friends as a fund raiser for the Run Beyond Project.

How good a runner do you need to be to run 60 x 400 metres in under 2 minutes while wearing up to 60 T-shirts?

Well, Dave ran 2:17 at Berlin Marathon a few months later and Jess placed 6th in the 24 Hour Worlds running nearly 150 miles.

Awesome!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hetron wrote:
Put your thinking caps on. I'm turning 30 at the end of the month and need a challenge to celebrate. First thing that came to my head was to run 30 miles and drink 30 beers in 30 hrs. Some guy on YouTube has already done it so it seems manageable.
But a 3 mile swim, 300k bike, and 30 mi run in 30 hrs sounded less painful and more beneficial for training. I will have IMAZ two weekends after.
A friend suggested Everesting which is ~29,000 feet. Then run the remain 1000 feet. But I sold my road bike a few years ago and rather not do that on a tri bike.
I wouldn't mind eating 30 slices of pizza or 30 burritos though. Any other ideas?

May I have a different suggestion?

Many people talk about important projects, like triathlon training using expression 'it's not a sprint, it's a marathon'. I disagree with that.

It's neither sprint nor marathon, because both of those are finite games. 'Endurance training', similar to 'life' or 'health' is an infinite game. You cannot win an infinite game, you can either lose or just keep playing. It might sound tough, but the best things in life are infinite games and they are tough.

From prospective of an infinite game a 30h challenge doesn't make a lot of sense, but you still can profit from an important milestone like 30 years. So I suggest a challenge like this:
'Do at least 1 IM per year from age 30 to 40'. The 40-year old you will kick very serious ass and will thank the current you for that!
Quote Reply